Complete system for $10k that will sound good all day long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Oh well, on the subject of YashN post about your room. who knows what music sounds like in there but I bet it's good. It's a nice looking room to listen to music in by my reckoning. Can't slag it off unless you been there dude.

As if speaker positioning is unimportant or avoiding vast expanses of glass is unimportant as well.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
As if speaker positioning is unimportant or avoiding vast expanses of glass is unimportant as well.

Let's see a picture of your setup for comparison. I would like to see a proper setup.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Of course yashn , Physical things like echos and stuff dont apply to a self proclaimed theoretical audio god

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Of course yashn , Physical things like echos and stuff dont apply to a self proclaimed theoretical audio god

All of the flattery is making me blush. I'm truly honoured you put me up on a pedestal like that in your mind. But in reality, there's even room reflections at my place. But not much of an issue as they are toed in slightly, and the off axis dispersion seems to be absorbed quite effectively into the heavy cotton drapes. Blinds probably help as well. But I have not claimed this to be the ultimate listening room. It's just a casual listening area. The real setup is downstairs.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
All of the flattery is making me blush. I'm truly honoured you put me up on a pedestal like that in your mind. But in reality, there's even room reflections at my place. But not much of an issue as they are toed in slightly, and the off axis dispersion seems to be absorbed quite effectively into the heavy cotton drapes. Blinds probably help as well. But I have not claimed this to be the ultimate listening room. It's just a casual listening area. The real setup is downstairs.

Room diagnosis and organic, acoustic treatment is of the utmost importance.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Room diagnosis and organic, acoustic treatment is of the utmost importance.

where's the photos of your room? Do you not have a camera or phone with a camera?

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
where's the photos of your room? Do you not have a camera or phone with a camera?

meh...

Diagnosed my room response with REW and a condenser mic and built my own Acoustic panels and bass traps.

Built my own isolation stands for the Bookshelf loudspeakers and built my own stand for the subwoofer for isolation and standing waves reduction.

This is what allows me to listen to my gear rather than a heavily distorted sound of what my gear is capable of.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
meh...

Diagnosed my room response with REW and a condenser mic and built my own Acoustic panels and bass traps.

Built my own isolation stands for the Bookshelf loudspeakers and built my own stand for the subwoofer for isolation and standing waves reduction.

This is what allows me to listen to my gear rather than a heavily distorted sound of what my gear is capable of.

Yeah I just use a plant and a drape. The carpet and furnishings help as well. I plunked everything down in the room and it sounds awesome. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm happy with the sound, and I've heard a lot of setups. The 14' ceilings open to a vast open space help as well. No boominess at all. Just tight, solid, clean bass. The DxD version of the Sheffield drum and track disk is shocking how powerful it sounds. But I do have 1400W per channel of Hypex Ncore amplification driving them with 4 Hypex SMPS1200A700 supplies :)

Last edited:

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
No nasty floor to ceiling reflections buggering up your soundstage either.

To YashN, congrats on your home acoustic improvements. I do also use some room treatment but mikes gaff sure looks better than mine, nice place to chill out with his family and friends rather than some man cave that looks like a science experiment gone wrong.... I am sure music sounds great in there. Having not herd his speakers or his room it's hard to say what effect treatment would have! It's not a typical room what with the ceiling and all. Certainly lots of air volume to play with...

Oh I never said speaker placement was unimportant, or that no care needs to be taken considering reflective suffices. Those big drapes will be doing a few things for sure, plus no pressure issues. I could pick fault of course but given mikes been building speakers for twenty years I would have to be a bit of a chump to do that.. Not to mention rude.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
No nasty floor to ceiling reflections buggering up your soundstage either.

To YashN, congrats on your home acoustic improvements. I do also use some room treatment but mikes gaff sure looks better than mine, nice place to chill out with his family and friends rather than some man cave that looks like a science experiment gone wrong.... I am sure music sounds great in there. Having not herd his speakers or his room it's hard to say what effect treatment would have! It's not a typical room what with the ceiling and all. Certainly lots of air volume to play with...

Oh I never said speaker placement was unimportant, or that no care needs to be taken considering reflective suffices. Those big drapes will be doing a few things for sure, plus no pressure issues. I could pick fault of course but given mikes been building speakers for twenty years I would have to be a bit of a chump to do that.. Not to mention rude.

Pretty good assessment for a horse :)

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Yea I don't do bad do i!

All you need is some straws in the ports lol, oh and take the TV out;)

Hang on,if you take the TV out then it won't be a multifunctional family living space! ;)

I think you have been making friends again on CA, I detect a little history between you both :D

Oh well, you sure do make a impression Mike :D

Nice to see Rodney pop by, seems to be accusing you of being a police officer!? Oink oink??? Your not the filth Are you mike?

Last edited:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Well, I dont know what sound a rampaging rhino makes..so used the next best thing

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
I would go with white Rhino :D

Maybe that can be his company name? What do you think mike? Cool and kind of descriptive!'

Well rhino and horse while very different seem to get on ok... A example to the world :D

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Yea I don't do bad do i!

All you need is some straws in the ports lol, oh and take the TV out;)

Hang on,if you take the TV out then it won't be a multifunctional family living space! ;)

I think you have been making friends again on CA, I detect a little history between you both :D

Oh well, you sure do make a impression Mike :D

Nice to see Rodney pop by, seems to be accusing you of being a police officer!? Oink oink??? Your not the filth Are you mike?

Oh that Rodney. Still doesn't realize what jitter and S/N ratio means, so he takes it out on me. Oh well to each their own.

Yes I know the TV shouldn't be there. But until I'm finished my experimenting, it's hiding all of the electronics. That's where the mad scientist work of art 4 layer PCB's are of all my electronics. Eventually it will be mounted on the wall with the bottom at the speaker height. All electronics will be hidden in the vibration isolated subenclosures on the back of the woofer cabinets. This is why they are so deep. Then I'll sell them off at not much over cost and someone will have a turn key system that can compete with a $40k system all day for around $8K.

Here's when I first dry fitted the pieces together before sanding:

Speaer rear.jpg

Glue and clamping the top cabinet:

IMG_3038.jpg

Inside is built like a pyramid with each layer tuned to a different frequency. this way each layer cancels out resonances from the next layer. also makes for no parallel internal walls for dealing with standing waves. Viscoelastic damping adhesive was used between each layer to further dampen. Walls are 4" thick toward the back:

IMG_3057.jpg

Sanding:

IMG_3061.jpg

Oh and about CA, I was banned from there for making too many friends already :)

Last edited:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Yeh.. a rhino , thick skinned , 1/2 blind and charges anything that moves. Im just the ox pecker

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Sexy machining Mike, nice! They look fine!

More pics, intelligently thought out Mike! They look sexy on the inside too.

Got banned! Too kool for Skool? Really your universal popularity must of intimidated the management, online you have at magnetic personality, Except your magnet seems to be the wrong way round for a lot of folks :D

Last edited:

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Referring to your photo Rodney..,

That's some arse hole in the background... Even blurred out it steals the show!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Sexy machining Mike, nice! They look fine!

Got banned! Too kool for Skool? Really your universal popularity must of intimidated the management, online you have at magnetic personality, Except your magnet seems to be the wrong way round for a lot of folks :D

Well I think I've finally found a home where I can be accepted for who I am:

Unknown.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing