Best power cable under $1000

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I've had good luck with the Shunyata. Triode Wire Labs are also good.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
Hi,
what is the best power cable under $1000?

In my limited experience the best power cables (or any cable) are those that include at least reasonably good quality materials, terminators, and are properly cryogenically treated.

For example. I own a $100 DIY cryo'ed PC with middle-of-the-road Furutech terminators (Furutech cryo-treats all their products) that was a tad more musical than a $2500 power cable (with top-of-the-line Furutech terminators) I owned and since sold. That same $100 DIY was as good as a $6000 PC a distributor insisted that I use when exhibiting at a show a few years back. I didn't have the heart to tell him his $6k PC was no better a performer than my custom $100 PC.

IME, cryo'ing any type of cable is by far the most significant component that determines a cable's performance. FWIW, I've been having all my cables, connectors, outlets, fuses, etc cryo'ed and double-cryo'ed, first using the more popular but inferior vapor treatment method and later by the easily superior full-immersion method since 2005.

If a cable is not or intended never to be cryo'ed, I won't waste my time with it. BTW, it is not uncommon for cable mfg'ers to cryo their cables but not advertise that they do.

witchdoctor

Apr 23, 2016
Hi,
what is the best power cable under $1000?

To answer that question I would use a vendor with a return policy like audioadvisor or the cable company. Put their feet to the fire with the same question and see if you can audition 3 brands at various price points. After the audition you should have an idea of what YOU like and can start making decisions. I don't think anyone can answer what will sound best to your ears in your system. That's why using vendors with a return policy is so important.

tarquineous

Jun 25, 2011
I've had good luck with the Shunyata. Triode Wire Labs are also good.

I agree, based on may tests. The Triode Wire Labs is especially good on tubed equipment. Shunyata very good in general. I will add DH Labs Corona, which is very good on McIntosh amplifiers and similar amps. The Corona is up to the limit of your price suggestion.

tarquineous

Jun 25, 2011
The best power cable that I've ever heard is the MIT Oracle ZIII. You can get it on Audiogon from Joe for around $700 new. Just for reference, I've listened to every single cable in the Shunyata and Transparent lines and a good amount of cables from Synergistic.

The bass is so prominent and at the same time effortless on the MIT, that it has to be heard to be believed.

That's one I would like to try. I have an Oracle balanced interconnect, which is outstanding.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
To answer that question I would use a vendor with a return policy like audioadvisor or the cable company. Put their feet to the fire with the same question and see if you can audition 3 brands at various price points. After the audition you should have an idea of what YOU like and can start making decisions. I don't think anyone can answer what will sound best to your ears in your system. That's why using vendors with a return policy is so important.

and beware of the 're-stocking' fee !

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Has anyone tried the Cardas Clear Beyond (< $1,000) power cable?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
A 1m Furutech DPS-4 w/NCF plugs comes in right around $1k, nothing in that price range is even close and I'd bet you won't find a significantly better cable at any price.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Would you be so kind to share some detail about this? TIA

It doesn't have compensation for resonating with capacitance on the line. This is a mistake 99.999% of manufacturers make when using a CMC type device. It presents itself differently from system to system because of varied capacitance. In one stereo it may be no big thing, in another it might make it really suck.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
A 1m Furutech DPS-4 w/NCF plugs comes in right around $1k, nothing in that price range is even close and I'd bet you won't find a significantly better cable at any price.

Agree!
21737096785702_647.jpg

Attachments

• 21738131400549_975.jpg
    21738131400549_975.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 464

cjf

Nov 19, 2012

Well that's certainly a very complex and impressive looking wiring layout. Almost tempting, kinda like shopping the CD Racks at your favorite local store and stumbling across a CD cover that strikes your fancy. And you buy it just for that reason alone despite never hearing of the artist before that moment :)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Well that's certainly a very complex and impressive looking wiring layout. Almost tempting, kinda like shopping the CD Racks at your favorite local store and stumbling across a CD cover that strikes your fancy. And you buy it just for that reason alone despite never hearing of the artist before that moment :)

It's actually revolutionary, machine made cables usually cant match good hand made cables for a variety of reasons but the DPS is an exception and uses the advantages of machine made in order to do things you can't do by hand.

I think it may not be long before we see something similar with other kinds of cables, which might really shake things up!

johndoe21ro

Oct 3, 2012
Europe
AudioQuest NRG-1000!

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA

I completely agree. I use Nordost V2 and (Odin phono) for all of my IC's and SC's but I use Furutech Alpha Nano wires with NCF plugs and NCF outlets for power. (Soulution and ARC gear.) I do not do it for price. I do it for performance. Scot Markwell, Harry Pearson's old set-up guy makes my stuff. I use the 10 Gauge Nano FPS55N from my Transformer all the way to my gear. According to Scot the DPS-4 is even better!!!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I completely agree. I use Nordost V2 and (Odin phono) for all of my IC's and SC's but I use Furutech Alpha Nano wires with NCF plugs and NCF outlets for power. (Soulution and ARC gear.) I do not do it for price. I do it for performance. Scot Markwell, Harry Pearson's old set-up guy makes my stuff. I use the 10 Gauge Nano FPS55N from my Transformer all the way to my gear. According to Scot the DPS-4 is even better!!!

The S55N is a really good cable, best value out there. DPS is more than 2x the price but is more refined, upper mids and highs are most noticeable. Scot owns US Furutech distribution as well... Not a bad gig!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing