Gravitational Waves - a highly anticipated 'Update' tomorrow

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
This is probably the most fascinating thing I have read yet after the Higg's boson. The NYT's video is also equally exciting for its coverage of the LISA Pathfinder 3-satellite structure in outer space we just started deploying last month (@3:28), for further studies on this - should be much more powerful than LIGO. The amount of precision to manufacture and deploy these things is just awe inspiring. Just imagine those 3 satellites a million miles apart, linked together with laser beams in order to stay in perfect sync.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^^ You are right, fascinating tech.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
This is probably the most fascinating thing I have read yet after the Higg's boson. The NYT's video is also equally exciting for its coverage of the LISA Pathfinder 3-satellite structure in outer space we just started deploying last month (@3:28), for further studies on this - should be much more powerful than LIGO. The amount of precision to manufacture and deploy these things is just awe inspiring. Just imagine those 3 satellites a million miles apart, linked together with laser beams in order to stay in perfect sync.

That really is amazing.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
and what a great gift for us, to witness two black holes collide in our lifetime, even as a simple 1/5 second chirp - an event that took place 1.3bn years ago! Imagine if these colliding black holes were the merger of two galaxies - just like that, they became one and we witnessed it. What are the chances! Though, truth be told, there is suspicion that galaxies have many black holes spread around... I thought I read a while ago we are attempting to zero in on one in the Milky Way, far away from the main Sagittarius A*

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
and what a great gift for us, to witness two black holes collide in our lifetime, even as a simple 1/5 second chirp - an event that took place 1.3bn years ago! Imagine if these colliding black holes were the merger of two galaxies - just like that, they became one and we witnessed it. What are the chances! Though, truth be told, there is suspicion that galaxies have many black holes spread around... I thought I read a while ago we are attempting to zero in on one in the Milky Way, far away from the main Sagittarius A*

I read that as well but for me it's the black holes at the center of every galaxy that I find the most interesting

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
What was never explained is how they know the detected gravitational waves were caused by two black holes merging.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
On 18 min in the vid they explain that: before this all happened , they made a computermodel/simulation of 2 black holes merging and what it would look like based on Einsteins predictions /theories .
The signal builds up in amplitude and then settles down , 2 black holes will spin harder and harder around each other , causing a signal with increased ampitude before the amplitude settles down , after they have merged .
The simulation and the real event perfectly matched when overlayed

What was never explained is how they know the detected gravitational waves were caused by two black holes merging.

Last edited:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
This has been one of the holy grail experiments in astrophysics - one of the very few experimental confirmations of Einstein's general theory of relativity. I remember back in grad school in the '60's that Joe Weber had created an experimental set up (two locations on the east coast and midwest) to try to detect gravitational waves. Even sent a device on one of the Apollo missions to the moon. Tried to do it for his whole life - never got a true positive result. Unfortunately he died well before this amazing experiment. The experiments have to been incredibly precise and avoid confounding influences, like very minute seismic events that can create false positives. As I remember Weber built huge masses of metal, suspended very delicately with devices that measured displacements in the metal. They, along with the neutrino detectors buried deep in abandoned mine shafts, were the most unconventional astronomical telescopes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Weber

Larry

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Larry. I heard his name mentioned in the press conference and now I know why. His battles on his finding of gravitational waves reminds me of the types of arguments we have on audio! :)

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
We applaud every serious scientist who picks a very hard problem to solve, even if they don't solve it, much the same way we applaud all those who fund their honest efforts.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing