Cleaning/Maintenance

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Just thought I'd start a thread on something pretty great I found out tonight. I was putting together my 4th A80 RC MkII that came from a studio and it seemed someone had spilled coffee and ??? all over the deck. It's a very solid deck, but left a lot to be desired cosmetically.
I needed something to clean all the aluminum, especially the discoloration. Well anyone wanting to put a luster on their Studers look no further than your Mother.
I stopped by the local autoparts place and got some Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish. Here are the results.

Also, does anyone know what the little white button above the FF/REW does?

Attachments

• IMG_1485..JPG
    IMG_1485..JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 166

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Is it possible it is an after-market mod? It is not aligned with the other buttons, it is a different style and of course has no label. Are there others with the same button?

Thinking out loud, it is above the FF/REW buttons so perhaps it is common to both. Does it change the speed in those modes? What happens if you hold it down while you hit FF/REW?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
It appears to be standard Studer issue. The top plate is stamped out to to accept the button. The wire on the bottom has the same jacket material as the power line (gray). The pic just barely shows that whatever it is, Studer went to great lengths to make sure it was there.

Took cover off and got another pic.

I thought it might be a kind of "library wind", but the FF/REW or even Play speeds don't change. It's a mystery!

Attachments

• button..jpg
    button..jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 156
  • button2..jpg
    button2..jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Anything happen on audio front when you engage it while in REW/FF? I recall some consumer decks having a button where you could select whether you wanted to hear the audio (in high-speed) so that you for example you could find the silent spots. It would selectively engage the heads/audio circuits.

Edit: Come to think of it, that was usually done in association with the play button so that may not be it...

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
No nothing... this has a "Listen lever" for that. At least I know the stereo/mono switch works!

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
That's good to know, Bruce! I'm thinking of contacting Fred Thal and inquiring if he has "aluminite" cleaner or can source it. Perhaps, I should give this a go, first :D

Regarding, the white button -- maybe, you can trace the wires and see where that takes you :cool:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The white button mystery reminds me of something. I am driving my BMW one day and I see a red light blinking in the dash next to A/C and radio controls. It had no label in it so I go look in the manual. No mention there either. So I take it to the dealer and they come and tell me it is a reminder. I asked what it is reminding. They said it was a reminder related to the computer option I don't have! I ask how they can turn it off. They say they can't since I don't have the computer! So maybe it is for some option they took out but left the button behind :).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Nice to know we have experts in the A80 in this forum!
I have now boght a lot of original Studer A101 spares and I can find at less three versions of this hybrid IC - one with a large round blog (capacitor?) encapsulated in light blue epoxy, another with a square thin capacitor, also encapsulated in light blue epoxy and finally a non encapsulated board using bc550c and bc560c transistors.
Which do you think it is the better sounding?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing