Apple error 53 scam

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Not sure if you read up on the error 53 scam yet, but Apple has gone off the deep end and is changing its strategy from trying to innovate to extortion. They charge $250 for an iPhone 6 screen replacment (costing them probably $10 hardware and half a manhour), and 3rd party repair shops are popping up doing it for less. Apple is not amused and basically "kills" phones after "unauthorized repairs" are detected by an OS upgrade.

How this is even legal is beyond me. I suspect it is not and a class action suite is imminent. Meanwhile, I vouch to never buy an Apple product again in my life, with the possible exception of put options Apple stock. Please spread the message to other social media, and let the word get out. A once great company has completely lost the plot. Shameful.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2016/02/06/what-caused-iphone-error-53/#8884dcce2976

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I can't open the Forbes page but did read it here: http://www.theguardian.com/money/20...e-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

As I suspect the core problem is lack of hardware authentication between the substituted home/fingerprint button and system. What is bizarre is why they don't just flag that as error and let the phone continue to function without the fingerprint functionality. Seems to be it is a bug and something they can fix. Will be interesting to see if they do.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I can't open the Forbes page but did read it here: http://www.theguardian.com/money/20...e-update-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

As I suspect the core problem is lack of hardware authentication between the substituted home/fingerprint button and system. What is bizarre is why they don't just flag that as error and let the phone continue to function without the fingerprint functionality. Seems to be it is a bug and something they can fix. Will be interesting to see if they do.

No. They have issued an official statement. It is not a bug. It is a design feature. Designed to exort money from customers for $250 screen replacements to be precise.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
They've hired a new guy to look into the problem...

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Sounds like them.

The idea the a mobile phone could be truly secure is an utter joke when you consider the type of people that would steal a phone in order to steal content - where even deleting the data probably wouldn't stop them. Furthermore do they expect say, state official, to believe their iphone is a secure device to hide secrets in? No no no no no no. That's all preposterous, it's clearly just for money.

Typical Apple... If you're going to praise yourself so highly at least offer products that stand up to it. Their laptops are notorious for recalls and weird issue, and they've charged enough on parts to repair desktop computers to the point it's better to buy new for decades. Yet people are obsessed.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Sounds like them.

The idea the a mobile phone could be truly secure is an utter joke when you consider the type of people that would steal a phone in order to steal content - where even deleting the data probably wouldn't stop them. Furthermore do they expect say, state official, to believe their iphone is a secure device to hide secrets in? No no no no no no. That's all preposterous, it's clearly just for money.

Typical Apple... If you're going to praise yourself so highly at least offer products that stand up to it. Their laptops are notorious for recalls and weird issue, and they've charged enough on parts to repair desktop computers to the point it's better to buy new for decades. Yet people are obsessed.

They have a cult following. Always have and always will. Let's just hope the mainstream rational buyers will bail on them. I for one will never buy an Apple product again in my life.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
They have a cult following. Always have and always will. Let's just hope the mainstream rational buyers will bail on them. I for one will never buy an Apple product again in my life.

What I don't understand is why no one else bothers to offer something comparable in the cellphone world. For laptops it is a no brainer, go Lenovo business class. The Lenovo laptops go to the point of using robust charger ports. That's what I want to see with cellphones. There's only two things Apple has that can make me think about ownership. One is the L-port, because micro-USB is like drum breaks on the front of Lamborghini - doomed to fail. The other is the light meter app for cameras. If it weren't for the new USB-C I would have said I was seriously considering an Apple phone despite my hate for the OS. Well, until I learned about this asinine maneuver.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
The only screen I ever broke was on an apple. I have beat the hell out of phones over the years, none have ever broke except apple. Will never own an apple product, ever.
Start my new job which mandates a company cell phone, they give me a 6, I drop the bastage on my way to get a case and crack the freeking screen.
So today I learn about error 53, no Bueno apple.
I hate the OS, hate it.
And I am living in Microsoft country.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The only screen I ever broke was on an apple. I have beat the hell out of phones over the years, none have ever broke except apple. Will never own an apple product, ever.
Start my new job which mandates a company cell phone, they give me a 6, I drop the bastage on my way to get a case and crack the freeking screen.
So today I learn about error 53, no Bueno apple.
I hate the OS, hate it.
And I am living in Microsoft country.

Between me and my family members, I have broken about 6 ot 7 screens, and spend about a $100 per repair (3rd party). My daughter has a 6 with unrepaired broken screen. My be like "error 53" broken screens are just a "design features".

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Apple has been the world's largest scam for a long time. More like a religion than an electronics company, errr.....software company.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I was wondering about that. I have dropped my Samsung phone and Motorola countless times. And on many surfaces. It has never damaged a thing. I think using plastic construction helps in that regard.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I was wondering about that. I have dropped my Samsung phone and Motorola countless times. And on many surfaces. It has never damaged a thing. I think using plastic construction helps in that regard.

Drop an iPhone on a hard surface and the screen is crakced, with or without protective case.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Drop an iPhone on a hard surface and the screen is crakced, with or without protective case.
Wow, really? I have never had a protective case on any of my phones since no damage has occurred on any of them. Come to think of it, my oldest son is the only one in the family with an Apple phone (needs it for work) and is the only one I recall with a broken screen.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I love my Apple stock as a result :)

BTW if you buy Apple Care with your purchase a screen change is $70

I've always used a bumper on my iPhone regardless of the model and have dropped it countless times and have never broken the screen

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Between me and my family members, I have broken about 6 ot 7 screens, and spend about a $100 per repair (3rd party). My daughter has a 6 with unrepaired broken screen. My be like "error 53" broken screens are just a "design features".
Interesting! We have had their products since the I4 and our family has never, Never had a broken screen. Not once. I suspect there is a K gene for klutz afoot, with a capital K
Tip it's not a frisbee
Tip 2 ITS NOT A FRISBEE

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Interesting! We have had their products since the I4 and our family has never, Never had a broken screen. Not once. I suspect there is a K gene for klutz afoot, with a capital K
Tip it's not a frisbee
Tip 2 ITS NOT A FRISBEE

Thanks. They should have told me that when I bought it. We once drove a car over it. In this case, I was actually impressed it was just a cracked screen and the phone was still usable. I personally cracked 2, just by dropping them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing