N/A
This product would appear to be effective in de-coupling speaker from floor,

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PwRMG1BoPJU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:

Purite Audio

banned
May 28, 2013
www.puriteaudio.co.uk
You must not have read all of my post(s) as I was very clear about this... Distortion in the bass regions caused by sympathetic vibrations of the floor and other surfaces.
If objects in your room are resonating obviously that needs to be addressed.
Bass cancellation and reinforcement needs to be addressed passively/actively.
Isolating your loudspeakers broadband may ameliorate the amount of vibration reaching the floor ,which depending upon its construction may help.
Laboratories isolate sensitive components from structural borne vibration, often having to deal with extremely low frequencies.
Keith.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I can't say I'm surprised. Someone has to take Blizzards' place. Those in opposition can always vote with their feet. I think it's telling that his participation is being limited. I hope you don't grow to regret it. Then again maybe I don't.

been watching the balance here on WBF wondering which way it would fall.

I just got the answer. and the momentum is clear.

sigh.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Gregadd, if you are still reading you need to clear your mailbox

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I can't say I'm surprised.
You should be. No one has battled Ethan more than me. And across two forums and for many years. That I can put my emotions and history aside and put information sharing ahead, is what should surprise you.

Someone has to take Blizzards' place.
No. Ethan is only participating on his own choosing, in this forum alone.

Those in opposition can always vote with their feet. I think it's telling that his participation is being limited. I hope you don't grow to regret it. Then again maybe I don't.
No, they can also realize that this is a special part of our forum created precisely for people who like to have discussions among themselves without protests. That we can't stop the protests even here is disappointing.

If any of you are bothered by Ethan's posts and what is going on in this measurement forum, yet can't stop yourself from reading it, let me know and I will make this forum invisible to you.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Good video :). Love to see other measurements besides a thump though. Specifically would be good to know if the device rings on its own. My tractor has no suspension. It is very uncomfortable when I hit a bump. But it then settles instantly. My car has suspension and rides over the bumps nicely but then it bounces up and down a few times before settling. Would have been great for him to play a sweep and captured with and without the stand.

And oh, the last thing he says about your neighbor not hearing your stereo, is false of course. The sound gets out through the air.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Is putting a speaker that uses pistonic drivers on a platform that sways about with gay abandon really a good idea?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Doesn't seem to me and hence my question about its resonance frequency and effect with the speaker really playing something.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Yes, Max seems to understand what to measure :)

They seem pretty similar to IsoAcoustics in function, but I like the low-profile design better... it will work better when you don't want to raise the speaker up much.

I'd guess price is much higher than Iso but not I dis not look up prices...

------------

I understand wanting to measure and understand exactly what's going on, but the audible benefits of isolation are super-obvious. I should be surprised people are questioning it but little surprises me anymore... there are obviously massive differences in hearing acuity as well as bias going on.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Is putting a speaker that uses pistonic drivers on a platform that sways about with gay abandon really a good idea?

Yes, although I do understand how it seems counter intuitive. Take for example my 15" woofer cabinets that are currently sitting on IsoAcoustics stands. Cabs weigh well over 100 lbs, cone weighs 1/4 lb. Equal and opposite, blah, blah, means a 400x difference in mass makes the fact the speaker is not firmly coupled mostly irrelevant, and the tiny, miniscule reduction is bass output is more than offset by the massive difference in clarity.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Good video :). Love to see other measurements besides a thump though. Specifically would be good to know if the device rings on its own. My tractor has no suspension. It is very uncomfortable when I hit a bump. But it then settles instantly. My car has suspension and rides over the bumps nicely but then it bounces up and down a few times before settling. Would have been great for him to play a sweep and captured with and without the stand.

And oh, the last thing he says about your neighbor not hearing your stereo, is false of course. The sound gets out through the air.

Do you own an old Cadillac with bad shocks? :p

And it really does cut down on bass transmitted through the building structure which would make the bass levels less in adjoining rooms. Of course you're right it can't prevent airborne vibration/sound from doing what it does but reducing structural-borne vibration is very significant, maybe 50-75% less...

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Are you saying the speakers need to be brought outside to the driveway or patio to make the measurements?

Is that a problem Gary? ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________ ;-)

It could be [very] inconvenient with large speakers, but still necessary to get the results.

I didn't mean to imply it was a problem.

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Yes, although I do understand how it seems counter intuitive. Take for example my 15" woofer cabinets that are currently sitting on IsoAcoustics stands. Cabs weigh well over 100 lbs, cone weighs 1/4 lb. Equal and opposite, blah, blah, means a 400x difference in mass makes the fact the speaker is not firmly coupled mostly irrelevant, and the tiny, miniscule reduction is bass output is more than offset by the massive difference in clarity.

One other consideration is the spring rate of the isolation devices relative to the audio band.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It could be [very] inconvenient with large speakers, but still necessary to get the results.

I didn't mean to imply it was a problem.

It was a humorous comment Gary.
Indeed as you read it, your Infinity IRS-V speakers are so large and "bolted/anchored" to your listening room that it would be an enormous challenge to bring them outside for measurements.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thanks Amir. I think limiting people (me) to certain forums is a good one. Perhaps I'm not the only person who should be limited?

--Ethan

Hi Ethan, nice to see you back. :b

"Unlimited" is for the Gods and Kings. ...Living above the clouds of the sky.
* You can post anytime in any of my few threads...movies, music, receivers, photographs/pictures, ...all that jazz.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Amir Ethans' return is a surprise and a q disappointment. What is not a surprise was that he was reinstated over my objection.
Clearly I had no say in the matter. My reference to Blizzard was tongue in cheek.
What is disturbing is that being banned doesnot mean anything for at least one person. Ethan I heard he was banned for multiple violations of TOS.
Why don't we be fair? Let's extend that policy to everyone. Violate the tos. A permanent ban means nothing. If anyone complains or is offended, stick your head in the sand if you cant ,I'll shove it in for you.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Amir Ethans' return is a surprise and a q disappointment. What is not a surprise was that he was reinstated over my objection.
Clearly I had no say in the matter.
I put heavy weight on votes from members who had commented/questioned Ethan's report. They like to speak to the person who created the work and I facilitated that.

My reference to Blizzard was tongue in cheek.
The guy doesn't deserve such jabs. We banned him; that should be enough.

What is disturbing is that being banned does mean anything for at least one person. Ethan I heard he was banned for multiple violations of TOS.
Why don't we be fair? Let's extend that policy plicy to everyone. Violate the tos. A permanent ban means nothing. If anyone complains or is offended, stick your head in the sand if you cant ,I'll shove it in for you.
Fairness would stipulate me banning countless members right now. I don't even count the violations of ToS. The rule book has been thrown out.

Answering anyway, the decision to ban Ethan was by the management. And as management, we can reconsider. Which I did seeing how we have this specialized forum now which should avoid the kind of situation that led to Ethan's departure. Indeed his interest in coming back is due to creation of this forum. So facts and data has changed and hence the reconsideration.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing