Measurement Thread: Measured Effect of Speaker Isolators

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I just thought Amir was joking. If you need this very basic point explained I'l be happy to oblige.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
Sorry the cable fell out of my sub, carpet is now vibrating.

I will add something pertinent to the thread later in the week when the Ultra SS arrive for my speakers.

I just thought Amir was joking. If you need this very basic point explained I'l be happy to oblige.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I have counted to ten and taken a number of deep breaths Thank you very much Bob.

In my room I have a floor. Then I have wall to wall carpet. Then for decoration I have an area rug. The subwoofer sat on that rug. Now when the floor vibrates ,I can feel it through the rugs. Consequently the rug vibrates. Continue with your hijinx. Don't complain when I return the favor.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I looked up the weight of Ehans speaker.It weighs in at around 23 lbs.As speakers go kind of a light weight. I used to add a dumbell to my CLS that weighed more than that.

nc42acc

Member Sponsor
Nov 10, 2015
North Carolina
After reading through the thread this is the question I was going to ask, changing height, and was one of my biggest concerns when adopting footers for my speakers. If I am not mistaken speaker designers using dynamic drivers design with height of the tweeter as a factor given the dispersion patterns and lobing of the driver they use. Plopping the speakers on a 3" high platform throws all that out the window. Not sure I would rather live with the vibration and not mess up what the original designer created. And Greg I am not being confrontational but using an office chair to listen in is a little silly. My sofa has no hydraulics. Just my two cents worth.

Now if you are worried about speaker height you already have a solution in your home,probably.You just need one of those office chairs with pneumatic height adjustment.

[
If your speaker is flat you can pace a glass of water on it. You'll be able to see any vibrations in the waters wake.
If f you have a laser you can use that alsoo.

While 1-2 db is barely audible, it is audible. There may be a cumulative effect. Only the speaker was measured in this exmple.
http://www.silcom.com/~aludwig/EARS.htm

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Should we start a new thread so Greg can delineate all of his issues with Ethan? Seems like this one has moved past any useful content...
That's so unlike you Don. Point to anything personal and I'll delete it.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
After reading through the thread this is the question I was going to ask, changing height, and was one of my biggest concerns when adopting footers for my speakers. If I am not mistaken speaker designers using dynamic drivers design with height of the tweeter as a factor given the dispersion patterns and lobing of the driver they use. Plopping the speakers on a 3" high platform throws all that out the window. Not sure I would rather live with the vibration and not mess up what the original designer created. And Greg I am not being confrontational but using an office chair to listen in is a little silly. My sofa has no hydraulics. Just my two cents worth.
I don't think it's asilly at all. The real point is height is easy to deal with.If you don't like my suggestion,pick your own.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Having to grapple with the whole isolation of speaker versus coupling to floor issue i have found this thread intriguing
Having watched Maxs video I was surprised at his tapping at the floor from 4 metres away

I went home and with the speakers coupled to the concrete slab, with marble tiles I set up a similar seismic system to in Maxs video

I did use a three axis seismic system

Standing directly next to the speaker i had to jump in the air to get a spike, and there was minimal ringing

i was left puzzled ...could Maxs video have been on a wooden floor?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
office chair.jpg

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I'm out.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
So why are those decoupling apparatus NOT part of the original design in those uber-expensive speakers? Just asking :)

. . . . or any other component for that matter. Why should a five, ten or fifty thousand dollar component be missing something that is supposedly so important for its operation?

You could probably install a solid state component on top of a subwoofer and not know it was there unless you were looking at it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing