Auditioning a new preamp

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
A friend of mine, who just happens to be a distributor of this product, has loaned me an Incito Aries Cerat preamplifier. I've been listening to this in my system for a couple of weeks now and find it extremely good. Here's a write up on it and I pretty much agree with what it says about the preamp. I'll post a picture and my review of it later, when I have some time. For now, here's a professional review...

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/superioraudio/equipment/0915/Aries_Cerat_Incito_Preamplifier_Review.htm

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, Steve and good evening to you sir. Are those ball bearings as buttons on the remote?

Tom

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have heard the Aries Cerat Diana integrated, which was over a 100 kilos if I remember correctly, much bigger than a Krell. It sounded better than the Aries Cerat Incito + the modded Jolida combo I compared it to. Flyer has also bought the Incito which is still to reach him, hope to hear it with his Tenor Audio OTLs soon

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
I have heard the Aries Cerat Diana integrated, which was over a 100 kilos if I remember correctly, much bigger than a Krell. It sounded better than the Aries Cerat Incito + the modded Jolida combo I compared it to. Flyer has also bought the Incito which is still to reach him, hope to hear it with his Tenor Audio OTLs soon

Hi Bonzo, Aries Cerat is actually bringing a two-chassis model of the Diana model on the market. I.e. with the preamp (Diana Mezzo) and power (Diana Forte, 65 W) section as separate modules.
The Diana Mezzo is positioned between the Incito and the Impera II preamp and announced to improve substantially on the Incito.
You probably guessed it by now, it is not the Incito with the raving reviews I ordered but the higher up Diana Mezzo of which I will be their first customer... The Mezzo is based on a pair of 814 DHT and xenon gas rectifiers, like the integrated model.

Always welcome as you know :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow. That will be exciting

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
The Diana Mezzo is positioned between the Incito and the Impera II preamp and announced to improve substantially on the Incito.
You probably guessed it by now, it is not the Incito with the raving reviews I ordered but the higher up Diana Mezzo of which I will be their first customer...

Hi flyer,

What a thoughtful post. I'm sure Steve really appreciates it. And I am so glad you are going to be the "first" to own ..........:p

And thank you Kedar for your sensitivity and I'm confident that this will encourage others to post about their new pending purchases on this forum.

You guys ever heard the phrase "taking the wind out of someone's sails". DUH!

PS: Hi Steve. How exciting and congratulations. I hope you enjoy your new pre.

Last edited:

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
No worries. I'm not going to buy the preamp. Joshua, a friend and local audiophile is a distributor for this preamp and surprised me with it a few weeks ago. In our group of listening buddies, we sometimes loan gear so we can determine how it sounds with someone else's system. That was the intent with this preamp.

As we all know, how a unit sounds has to be taken within context of the system it is in. Within my system, it sounded very very good, but not so good as to make me sell the Pass XP-20 and buy one. However, it would be a difficult choice to have to choose between the two if I were without a preamp. In many ways there was a similarity to their sound, especially in transparency, with the transistor amp subjectively more neutral and the tube amp a little warmer in the lower frequencies. The Incito weighs in at 75 pounds and I was very glad I didn't have to lug it up and down the stairs! That's one of things about it that I didn't care for. Another was that when using the XLR outputs, the sound level was much higher and couldn't be turned down to a low listening level, so it was medium to loud listening, or not at all. It had a very clear sound and I didn't feel like I was missing any of the music's details. The bass was a pleasant surprise in that it was very full with very little bloat. I liked the way acoustic bass was reproduced with this preamp, but electric bass seemed very slightly bloated and not quite as musical as when reproduced via the Pass, to my ears, but still very enjoyable. It is very possible that this extra bass could have been reduced via a few less bass traps in my listening room, as I have six of them! I enjoyed the extra bloom that seems to come with a tube pre and the slightly more 3 dimensionallity. One thing that was a little peculiar sounding to me was that sometimes I perceived what could possibly be a phasing aberration, in that the staging of some instruments were positioned strangely in the soundstage. It was not unpleasant, but I did find that I was thinking from time to time that a particular sound should be coming from that depth, not that depth. It's hard to explain.

The first few hours I listened to it, there was an annoying sound coming from my right speaker that I could hear from my listening seat between songs. When music was playing, it was inaudible. I thought perhaps a tube was going south. A few days later, I reinserted it into the system and the right channel cleaned up to an acceptable quietness, with only a little more than a very slight hissing coming from the right channel. My ear had to be within a foot or two from the speaker to hear it. The left channel was almost silent, with just a minimum of hiss when my ear was placed close to the speaker. Noise became a nonissue once I was a foot or more from the speakers.

That's it. The link I provided really says it all about the sound quality of this pre, at least I agree with it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing