Very nice video on The Science of the Room

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This was posted in another thread and I wanted to highlight the value of it by posting it in this forum. Paul is a practitioner of audio science not a researcher. He does an excellent job of explaining the theories in practical manner. The video is long at over 1 hour but I played it at 1.5X and it was quite understandable (click on the gear icon on the right and select the speed).
This was the most enlightening discussion regarding room acoustics and EQ I've ever heard from Paul Hales on HTG.

https://twit.tv/shows/home-theater-geeks/episodes/164

Highly recommended watch.

If you are ever at a show where PHC is there, it is worth it to sit in for a demo. But let me warn you: they will play at dynamics are truly at scary level. This can and is a turnoff for some but you should at least sit through it once to know what a super loud gun shot feels like :).

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
I tried it at 0.5 speed, and after a minute or two, had no idea what they were talking about.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Do you mean 1.5 or .5? 0.5 would be half speed which would be a disaster! :).

I can even listen to such videos at 2.X. My wife used to tell me that she hated listening on the side to them. But after a while she got used to it and she too watches educational videos at > normal speed. The King of Audio was vindicated yet again! :D

It takes some practice to be able to keep up the comprehension level high at higher speeds.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I have a pair of Hales Transcendence 8s which I used to use for front L+R but now use for surrounds. Serious overkill.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Amir I call it the Titanic syndrome. It was doomed as soon they called it unsinkable.
Besides with over 33k posts on the internet we can now just call this a classic.
Google is my memory now

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing