Sonic impact of tube used of overall design?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Does anyone have a sense how much the design or the specific type of tube used adds to the sound of gear? Thanks

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Only tube rolling will give you the answers. IMO the sky is the limit.

I have played with tube rolling on my amps but not my preamps. For my ears the single best tube to get results (depending which your amp uses) in tube rolling is the 12AX7 or the 12AT7 these are the first tubes the signal sees.

I managed to find an NOS pair of the Holy Grail of 12AX7's, the Telefunken ECC803S with diamond bottom, gold pins and special getter. If you can find an authentic pair of these you will never look for another tube. They give easily 10,000 hours of use so will last a life time

I bought my pair 2 years ago at $750/pair

Here is a pair on eBay, NOS and never used

http://cgi.ebay.com/2x-Telefunken-E...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item20b4e05aef

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Specif types of tube have some impact in the sound of the amplifier, but tubes have not a typical sound per se - its effect will always depend on the circuit of the equipment you are using.

I have some experience with tube rolling in VTL's, Jadis and a friends VAC equipment.
The best sounding tubes for one of them are not the best for the other, and our opinion can change with the system. The nice thing about tube rolling is that you can change a little the sound of your equipment, but do not expect to find some tubes that make ARC equipment sound like Lamm's.

When doing tube rolling you have to use aged tubes - otherwise you are not doing a fair test. In equipment without feedback the gain of the stage will vary with the tube trans-conductance and you will be mainly noticing the difference in sound level due the normal difference between parameters of equivalent tubes and associating it with sound quality! :confused:

Do not forget to look for the posts about tube rolling in the VTL thread.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi Caesar, I am a BIG believer in tube rolling. With my Cat Sig preamp, prior to rolled in tubes, the unit was good and competed well against most tube pre-amps. Still with the stock tubes, the CAT would suffer in comparison to some of the best BAT preamps for instance. With rolled in tubes, the CAT was lifted to a different plane; now with NOS GE JAN Large plates and Valvos we're talking almost a different preamp;)
Far more resolving and able to now compete with the best tube preamps, IMHO.

Same with my ARC amp, rolled in tubes are helping greatly there too.

One caveat though:eek:, you can roll in tubes and easily make things worse rather than better, so experimentation is the way to go..when it's right you really know it.:)
Agree with Steve, the sky is the limit:cool:

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

I have played with tube rolling on my amps but not my preamps. For my ears the single best tube to get results (depending which your amp uses) in tube rolling is the 12AX7 or the 12AT7 these are the first tubes the signal sees.

I managed to find an NOS pair of the Holy Grail of 12AX7's, the Telefunken ECC803S with diamond bottom, gold pins and special getter. If you can find an authentic pair of these you will never look for another tube. They give easily 10,000 hours of use so will last a life time

http://cgi.ebay.com/2x-Telefunken-E...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item20b4e05aef

You and Jim have a lot in common Steve. He's very big on the 803S as well. The countdown continues......... :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City

Agree with Steve. Also changing my stock Jadis KT88 on my late DA50 for Genelec NOS KT88 yielded incredible results.

caesar

May 30, 2010

Thanks. My VTL currently has a tube called Brimar plugged into it.

Are these tubes not available from reputable tube companies that cater to audiophiles that one has to resort to trusting someone on ebay? Thanks

caesar

May 30, 2010
Thanks for the replies. The best 2 headphone amps I have heard, Woo 5 and Manley 300B preamp, both use the 300B tube. I wonder if this is just a coincidence or whether the designers built their design around the tube.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks. My VTL currently has a tube called Brimar plugged into it.

Are these tubes not available from reputable tube companies that cater to audiophiles that one has to resort to trusting someone on ebay? Thanks

IIRC, Brimar was a British made tube in conjunction with Mullard, which BTW, also made a wonderful 12AX7 tube

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing