Confidentiality of Private messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I haven't sent insulting or inappropriate PM's or emails to anyone. Period.
I will quote one line from the three PMs you sent me: "You then spouted 2 posts worth of nonsense, or do you not understand what A-weighting is?" I like to see you confirm that saying this to a forum founder and someone whose expertise is to know such a topic is not "insulting or inappropriate." And this was in response to me saying:

"Hi Rob. Not following you here. If there is an issue and you have some technical knowledge to share, please do it in the thread so that everyone can learn. I don't mind being corrected that way so please go ahead."

This is the type of dialog which should remain private, IMO, but if you want to air WBF's dirty laundry, it's up to you.
The only thing I aim to expose are people who spend their time writing unkind, unprofessional, and hateful communications. The dirty things are the words you typed above.

As you know, there is a ton of stuff about you going on "behind the scenes", and it involves just this sort of name calling and obnoxious behavior.
As long as they don't put that in a PM and send it to me three times as you did, that's fine. :)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm not going to continue this here except to state again that I have sent no insulting or inappropriate PM's or emails. You apparently have a different opinion, and that's fine, but it's only opinion, not fact. If you want to continue this dialog, I suggest doing it by PM.

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
I'm not going to continue this here except to state again that I have sent no insulting or inappropriate PM's or emails. You apparently have a different opinion, and that's fine, but it's only opinion, not fact.

This is, of course, your "opinion, not fact." Amir holds a different opinion. The rest of us can take our own positions.

If you want to continue this dialog, I suggest doing it by PM.

I see what you did there...

But seriously, PMs should be treated the same as a "public" post, for the same reasons.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
yes Blizz we should just insult people in public like you.
Just kidding.
I think you can see why I find the notion that privacy only beleongs to the well behaved a little repugnat.

Exactly, if you're gonna do it, do it direct. Don't mess around. It takes real character, and courage to have this level of openness. Especially if you're right :) If you're wrong, yes I can see why you would resort to PM's.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It's a delicate matter. Our privacy is like a love affair with a mistress. It's like a pact between consenting adults without signing a contract...but in kind.
Our personal lives have a right to be personal and private...that's part of our identity.
Secrets are sacred, like a temple of meditation. The internal affairs in true privacy don't use words...they use intelligence, silence. ...Like a love affair in clandestine silence...

Judge no one, criticize no one, find peace with everyone...yourself first...respect yourself.

_________

Last edited:

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Amir - you are a nice guy and all.. just apologise for doing so , don't do it again and move on .. technically you may be right , morally , in the eyes of many , you are not.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Amir - you are a nice guy and all.. just apologise for doing so , don't do it again and move on .. technically you may be right , morally , in the eyes of many , you are not.

Sometimes in order to be true to yourself, you gotta stick to your guns. Is there any benefit to an audio forum for people who are more concerned about privacy issues when sending snarky PM's, than discussing audio? Go talk about your personal issues on the Dr Phil forum. Or if it's that intimate, pick up the phone, or use email. We have drama queens here making a big deal out of nothing.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Blizzard.. you can act like a mensch or not.. up to you if you wan't to disclose what is said to you in private... do so and be reviled for the breach of trust.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Blizzard.. you can act like a mensch or not.. up to you if you wan't to disclose what is said to you in private... do so and be reviled for the breach of trust.

If I want to discuss things in private, I will use email, pick up the phone, or go on the Dr Phil forum to confess my sins. When I come to an audio forum, I come to discuss audio. I would love to share what I discuss in private. Not sure if others would though. Way too humorous for the general public around here :)

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
The King is not for turning.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
nor his acolytes

This is the bottom line. There is nothing, NOTHING in the TOS that says PMs (or other posts) that privacy in all its forms might be lifted with the proviso that they are not the cause of or material evidence of legal action. That would encompass not just the site vs members but also members vs members.

Common decency or better yet globally accepted principles of statutory construction states that rules are not to be retroactive. All these rules being spouted here are new.

Now the other side of the coin. This is a private site. One could argue that the owners are above the TOS. In one sense they are. They can ammend the TOS anytime they like. However, there is one major condition and one major caveat. First the caveat. Good form dictates that the owners must themselves follow that which they have authored and published. Now the major condition. As this ownership is apparently a partnership the law provides that unless there is a consensus between the site owners, bylaws or TOS should not be ammended unilaterally unless the ammending party has an absolute majority.

So where is WBF now regarding this issue? If the two Kings, yes there are two not one, who own this site 50/50 decide to change the TOS to reflect that PMs can be displayed publicly for reasons other than legal action ( bad behavior et al) then that is that. However, as of today the TOS remains unchanged. The non retroactive nature means everybody who has publicly posted a PM without consent of the receiving or sending party has broken the TOS because the TOS stated a singular condition for breaking privacy. Had the TOS not mentioned this condition at all then we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Where to from here?

The ball is in the owners' court now. IMO there's nothing more to discuss here for the general membership. Tradition states that in the event of a deadlock with regards to ammendments, the existing rules will stand unless the partnership is restructured to break the deadlock or the partnership dissolved and new ownership drafts the new set of rules.

This is a private process that must be respected. For those interested in the outcome, there's nothing to do but wait.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
There can only be one King of audio, the position of queen remains undetermined.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Your comment appears meant to be funny but it is not material to the conversation.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
This is one thread that appears to be staying on topic.

Yet another jab at the forum. You never get tired of this Peter, do you?

LOL. Stating a fact, at that point in time, is a jab at the forum? So, derailing a thread is encouraged and expected here? :)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Probably a good time to close this thread. I could have handled this whole issue better than I have, for that I apologize to the membership. I'm also sorry that the original motivation for my PM's to amir (for him to publicly apologize to PeterA back in that other thread) was never able to be satisfied. I still think the PM system can be a good one for dialogues better served in that way than in a public forum, although obviously some of our more rabidly posting members don't agree.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
Your comment appears meant to be funny but it is not material to the conversation.
It's a flippant response to a mass hysteria that borders on laughable.

The amount of division in our world rendering the effort put in by members and the language being used on this topic a little ott imo

Perspective.

I see both sides of this argument, both have merrit from thier own perspectives.

No need to rewrite cannon law though!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Cannon is far removed from simply accepted practice. Then again I guess that might have been just another flippant remark.

I second that the thread be closed and the matter be dealt with SOLELY by those who actually carry the responsibility.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
If you have two kings that means you have none. nature usually setlles sthese matters with a fight to the death, Or one either concedes his inferiority or just decides it is not worth it and walks away. Humans have at least the potential to act in a more civilized manner.

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
Bottom line is in a forum you literally have no expectation to privacy.

Post by the rule of not typing anything you would cringe to see on the front of a newspaper.

Anyone with access to the Database can write a SQL query to gather up every single PM and push it out to a tab delineated file.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing