This are all old recording from 1975/1990
but new Direct to Disc are from Chasing the Dragon,
i have this 2,very good but not amazing

IMG_4027.jpg
IMG_4026.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
"the liner notes on their own definition of direct disc and direct cutting" are written by a irrelevant foolish Chinese that he knows about recording and mastering so as me I know about aerospace and spaceships.. don'd be fooled my friend from anyone's writings and don't give your money in vain.. View attachment 43270

Manos, yes the PRODUCER is from China - Simon Tsui, and here is what Mark Levinson the man has say about him:

viber imager.jpg

Then, they had a Albrecht Weber ( I presume a German) make the Direct Cutting, and another German did the DMM Technical Supervision, Hildebrandt Fleicher, and the record was MADE in GERMANY.

12.jpg

viber image.jpg

Discogs is correct in stating the country of origin as China, but the liner notes has many pages of other info. I bought this when it was released at it was pretty 'cheap' compared to most of the 'rated' records out there. :)

And by the way, all of these ABC releases include a free CD, which has more tracks than the LP.

Source is Original Master Tapes

32.jpg

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I love this thread best because it has real content...music.

That's what it's all about, Bob. To me, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. I'm not much into celebrity chefs. :D Records, for me, has to SOUND good and that is the ultimate test. That is why I have a 'selling bin' for the past 30 years. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Since the album info clearly identifies the source as an "Analog Master: Nagra 1/4 inch original master", it is definitely NOT a Direct to Disc LP. Of course that doesn't mean it can't still sound great!

Yes, it is not a live, unedited recording as with the various labels which are stamped Direct to Disc. What they are mentioning here is that they use a direct Cutting method, which they claim is the same as direct to disc method, as for the cutting. That is my understanding. (That can be disputed, I have no problems with it). I do not regard this in the true mold of how the Sheffield Lab Direct to Discs were done, which a poster here considers all rubbish. Might as well call this Direct From Tape. As for the sound of this DMM, it sounds superb. That is all that matters in the end.

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have both, among other RR LPS, and an example of Direct from Tape. :) I do not know about the cutting, etc. but I have a tremedous respect for Prof. Keith Johnson's works. There is a special 'touch' in the RRs in terms of sonic quality.

+1

I think Prof. Keith Johnson's work is actually under appreciated, even though he is held in very high esteem. NOT high enough IMHO.

BTW, I see there is going to be a new D2D release from Nordost by Eleanor McEvoy called 'Forgotten Dreams'. I am not familiar with her music, but this release looks very promising. See here: https://nordost.com/blog/eleanor-mc...vNm398xqi8h0oIwidVp-cSlvzsYarw&_hsmi=65135788

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Agree Bob part of a clique of great Irish Singers of the late 90's--Mary Black, Dolores Keane Loreena M--even Sinead when she is/was on "song"

BD

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
Since the album info clearly identifies the source as an "Analog Master: Nagra 1/4 inch original master", it is definitely NOT a Direct to Disc LP. Of course that doesn't mean it can't still sound great!

hello audio.bill.. what a TT is this!! congrats my friend!!

it is true, something transferred from "Analog Master: Nagra 1/4 inch original master", it is definitely NOT a Direct to Disc LP.. and t? complete your mention, a compilation record CANNOT ever be a Direct to Disc LP..

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
Manos, yes the PRODUCER is from China - Simon Tsui, and here is what Mark Levinson the man has say about him:
Then, they had a Albrecht Weber ( I presume a German) make the Direct Cutting, and another German did the DMM Technical Supervision, Hildebrandt Fleicher, and the record was MADE in GERMANY.
Discogs is correct in stating the country of origin as China, but the liner notes has many pages of other info. I bought this when it was released at it was pretty 'cheap' compared to most of the 'rated' records out there. :)

And by the way, all of these ABC releases include a free CD, which has more tracks than the LP.

Source is Original Master Tapes

this is discogs main page of mr Tsoui 'record' company ABC (INT'L) Records.. I opened all the 13 record links and all says NO ONE has ever sell or buy those records.. and there is just one (1) owner, (must be you:)).. this tells to me that is 'phantom' label that it's inventor gave some 100's bucks to mr. Levinson for a photo and that's all.. but this is not the point..

this is a compilation disk that means many master tapes were gathered, then put by sequence on a tape machine and transferred (copied) to a new tape in Nagra for the compilation master to be made.. this procedure (copying to make a compilation disk) most of times needs sound processing like leveling, compression, limiting, equalizing, to bring all the tracks to a closer sound level.. so there is much loss from the copying itself and from the effects.. that's why a compilation record, even if it's DMM, CANNOT be a pure audiophile sounding..

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
this is discogs main page of mr Tsoui 'record' company ABC (INT'L) Records.. I opened all the 13 record links and all says NO ONE has ever sell or buy those records.. and there is just one (1) owner, (must be you:)).. this tells to me that is 'phantom' label that it's inventor gave some 100's bucks to mr. Levinson for a photo and that's all.. but this is not the point..

I had to laugh a bit there. $100 to Mr. Levinson for a photo shoot? :D

There was a mention of these PHANTOM label right in these pages of What's Best Forum.

My friend, please go to post #18 of this page:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1847-Hot-Pressings/page2&p=23083#post23083

I mentioned the Nat King Cole ABC record = #5 on the list. THEN, on the next post, # 19, Gary KOH ( I hope you know who he is), mentioned that he has TWO of these records, I get to understand, 2 different titles.

And now, my friend, may I direct you this this page:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1847-Hot-Pressings/page24

Post #232, I made a comment to Gary's post, and showed another title, 80 Years Tubes, to which another member posted that his favorite song in that album was "Just a Little Walk with Thee. Apparently, he has a record too.

So, I am not the only one who has this 'secret' record. Discogs? I never post there. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
this is a compilation disk that means many master tapes were gathered, then put by sequence on a tape machine and transferred (copied) to a new tape in Nagra for the compilation master to be made.. this procedure (copying to make a compilation disk) most of times needs sound processing like leveling, compression, limiting, equalizing, to bring all the tracks to a closer sound level.. so there is much loss from the copying itself and from the effects.. that's why a compilation record, even if it's DMM, CANNOT be a pure audiophile sounding..

Since I have this 'compilation record', I can confidently say that it sounds very very good. I cannot ascertain as to what you mean by 'pure audiophile sounding' as in fact, the word audiophile, when combined with the word record, as in 'audiophile record' has been mocked at by some posters here, and having said it, sold them all. :) From your previous comments you call this a 'phantom' record that I must have gotten ripped off to buy it. Far from it. Believe me, I know a bootleg from 20 feet out. :D And from the post of Gary Koh, he said they 'sound wonderful'. And you, who doesn't even have a copy nor heard one nor know anyone who has it, proclaim that it, being a compilation DMM, cannot be pure audiophile sounding. I leave it at that.

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
I had to laugh a bit there. $100 to Mr. Levinson for a photo shoot? :D

There was a mention of these PHANTOM label right in these pages of What's Best Forum.

My friend, please go to post #18 of this page:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1847-Hot-Pressings/page2&p=23083#post23083

I mentioned the Nat King Cole ABC record = #5 on the list. THEN, on the next post, # 19, Gary KOH ( I hope you know who he is), mentioned that he has TWO of these records, I get to understand, 2 different titles.

And now, my friend, may I direct you this this page:

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1847-Hot-Pressings/page24

Post #232, I made a comment to Gary's post, and showed another title, 80 Years Tubes, to which another member posted that his favorite song in that album was "Just a Little Walk with Thee. Apparently, he has a record too.

So, I am not the only one who has this 'secret' record. Discogs? I never post there. :)

I am speaking to you with technical terms explaining what D2D & DMM is (I doubt if you still can understand the difference), I am explaining to you in details how this Chinese crap has been made and you just show me a couple of posts to prove me what my friend???? Mr Koh himself (a dealer) says about the 'great' ABC label: " I have not seen one here in the US, nor have I heard anyone talking about them."??? So, you and mr Koh are the only ones in the globe owning and admiring those records?? ok, do send it to me to audition and I will write here my opinion..

But after all this confused stuff you post, the most inappropriate thing you write is that you "never post in discogs"!!!! that proves much my friend..

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I am speaking to you with technical terms explaining what D2D & DMM is (I doubt if you still can understand the difference), I am explaining to you in details how this Chinese crap has been made and you just show me a couple of posts to prove me what my friend???? Mr Koh himself (a dealer) says about the 'great' ABC label: " I have not seen one here in the US, nor have I heard anyone talking about them."??? So, you and mr Koh are the only ones in the globe owning and admiring those records?? ok, do send it to me to audition and I will write here my opinion..

But after all this confused stuff you post, the most inappropriate thing you write is that you "never post in discogs"!!!! that proves much my friend..

Nobody is preventing you from explaining, you can explain your heart out for all I care. I never made any claim myself but to post the liner note and what it claims to be, you need to find the writer of the note if you want some explanation from him if you are really serious in proving your point, whatever it is. Chinese crap? The record was made in Germany, same as your favorite Stockfisch, in terms of country of manufacture. I have merely posted some evidence to prove that your allegation that I am the only one who owns this phantom record, and I just proved that I am not. Beyond that, you have to dream on by yourself, if you really think I will send this LP to you. For evaluation? I won't even let it out of my house. LOL

Bottom line, let this be whatever you want it to be or say, but I love this record due to its splendid sound. :)

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I get puzzled that this aggressive and condescend style is becoming acceptable in WBF.

Gary Koh and Phil (Jadis) are two long time WBF members I have respected and appreciated since long. Their contributions and opinions reflect their long term experience and a great sensitivity to sound quality and music. Should I refer that they represent a part of the best we have in WBF, both from the human and audiophile aspects?

Sorry for the unkind words, but coming here to read words such as "rubish" and "Chinese crap" referring to recordings people I consider a lot love isn't also my cup of tea.

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
I get puzzled that this aggressive and condescend style is becoming acceptable in WBF.

Gary Koh and Phil (Jadis) are two long time WBF members I have respected and appreciated since long. Their contributions and opinions reflect their long term experience and a great sensitivity to sound quality and music. Should I refer that they represent a part of the best we have in WBF, both from the human and audiophile aspects?

Sorry for the unkind words, but coming here to read words such as "rubish" and "Chinese crap" referring to recordings people I consider a lot love isn't also my cup of tea.

My friend, please don't speak like a politician with so heavy words and don't change the facts for blaming me.. "rubbish" and "Chinese crap" goes to vinyl records and NOT to people they own them and 'love'..I DO respect all members but I have also learned to tell straight and clearly my opinion independently who is in front of me..

At last it' s a men's forum. what is the 'acceptable' way, to say "what an angelic voice coming out from a garden with red poppies" ??

I do have an old Fiat car and adore it, do you mean if someone tells me that it's a crap shall I feel affected ?? comeooooonnnnn..

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing