The Direct to Disc thread

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
My friends Ron and Phil.. here, as a see, is a hi-fi forum and not a court to judge who is right and who is wrong.. Nor the 'confirmation' of a friend makes our opinion right or wrong.. if it would be so, I am more 'right' than you because I think the followers of my opinion that says : "generally the Sheffield Lab D2D productions are rubbish and them who made them were completely unacknowledged and irrelevant to the object of hi-fi recording", are more!!

I do have a very good auditory memory and I remember well the times trying to audition those Sheffield 'audiophile' vinyls with negative results.. So this is my opinion that maybe completely different from yours, this does not reveal or prove that you are wrong or I am right!! We just disagree.. at last you also have so many years of auditions experience.. isn't that true??

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
My friends Ron and Phil.. here, as a see, is a hi-fi forum and not a court to judge who is right and who is wrong.. Nor the 'confirmation' of a friend makes our opinion right or wrong.. if it would be so, I am more 'right' than you because I think the followers of my opinion that says : "generally the Sheffield Lab D2D productions are rubbish and them who made them were completely unacknowledged and irrelevant to the object of hi-fi recording", are more!!

I do have a very good auditory memory and I remember well the times trying to audition those Sheffield 'audiophile' vinyls with negative results.. So this is my opinion that maybe completely different from yours, this does not reveal or prove that you are wrong or I am right!! We just disagree.. at last you also have so many years of auditions experience.. isn't that true??

I cannot speak for any of the other posters, but I personally have absolutely no problem with your opinion that the Sheffield Lab LP’s are not to your liking and are flawed in the way you state...to your way of thinking. You are totally entitled to your opinion. It is 180 degrees away from my opinion, but it’s all good.
How many of these LP’s have you heard that were in mint or mint minus condition? Are you sure that were wasn’t something else in the chain that could have led you to your conclusions?
If you are and you have heard Mint versions, and you still hold your same opinion, it’s all good. If not, then perhaps do us all a favor and report back after you have had the opportunity to hear what we are raving about.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Sorry, I do not feel so.

Although the internet is a democracy and you post from the origins of democracy, for me high-end audio opinions also have an weighting factor that is determined by credibility of posters and their preferences. And sorry to say, nothing in your past posts can explain or give weight to your extreme words. IMHO "rubbish" is a word that usually shows the temperament of the poster, little else.

And yes, no one is right or wrong in this hobby and fortunately WBF is not a court since long, but readers can choose whom they belief and support.

BTW1 I googled "Sheffield" in the Audiophile Club of Athens - www.aca.gr - and the only negative opinion was yours, others seemed very favorable and the Sheffield recordings often show in the Music program highlights.

BTW2, my opinion concerning Sheffield direct cuts is not recent - see https://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?11452-Constant-Power&p=207951&viewfull=1#post207951. Can I suggest you to google "Sheffield" in this forum? WBF did not start yesterday! As always, IMHO and YMMV.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sorry, I do not feel so.

Although the internet is a democracy and you post from the origins of democracy, for me high-end audio opinions also have an weighting factor that is determined by credibility of posters and their preferences. And sorry to say, nothing in your past posts can explain or give weight to your extreme words. IMHO "rubbish" is a word that usually shows the temperament of the poster, little else.

And yes, no one is right or wrong in this hobby and fortunately WBF is not a court since long, but readers can choose whom they belief and support.

BTW1 I googled "Sheffield" in the Audiophile Club of Athens - www.aca.gr - and the only negative opinion was yours, others seemed very favorable and the Sheffield recordings often show in the Music program highlights.

BTW2, my opinion concerning Sheffield direct cuts is not recent - see https://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?11452-Constant-Power&p=207951&viewfull=1#post207951. Can I suggest you to google "Sheffield" in this forum? WBF did not start yesterday! As always, IMHO and YMMV.

+1000

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

No problem at all on our varied opinions, Manos. I agree with you, there is no right or wrong here. Just difference of findings. This is a subjective hobby. :)

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Anyone use Teldec DIN equalization to play back Sheffield D2D records?

"Sheffield is one label that didn't use RIAA. Doug Sax told me that he used the Teldec DIN curve for his label." Quote from Myles Astor on his Forum.

Larry

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
:)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

+1

Absolutely true!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I do have a very good auditory memory and I remember well the times trying to audition those Sheffield 'audiophile' vinyls with negative results.. So this is my opinion that maybe completely different from yours, this does not reveal or prove that you are wrong or I am right!! We just disagree..

Thank you for your diverse comments. Otherwise this thread would not have gotten my attention and we would not have a list of your recommended recordings.

Kind regards,
Tang

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
From the description of DMM, it is regarded as a Direct Cut record, which is the same as Direct to Disc. This limited edition LP was produced in 2006 with the 'help' of Mark Levinson the man, in association with ABC Records, mostly sold in Hong Kong at the time. I have preferred this pressing over a Steve Hoffman DCC all-analog remastering, and over an original Capitol record of Nat King Cole with some of the songs in this DMM remaster pressing.

3.jpg

viber image.jpg

v.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
From the description of DMM, it is regarded as a Direct Cut record, which is the same as Direct to Disc. This limited edition LP was produced in 2006 with the 'help' of Mark Levinson the man, in association with ABC Records, mostly sold in Hong Kong at the time. I have preferred this pressing over a Steve Hoffman DCC all-analog remastering, and over an original Capitol record of Nat King Cole with some of the songs in this DMM remaster pressing.....

Dear friend.. DMM is a MASTERING procedure not a RECORDING procedure.. That is, from a previous recorded 'Master Tape' or a 'Digital Master', the signal does NOT goes to the classic vinyl cutting lathe where must follow the steps of metal coating, father, mother, stampers, vinyl pressing... in DMM the signal goes STRAIGHT to a metal (copper) lathe from where in one-step plating process vinyls are printed.. that way three(3) steps in vinyl production are eliminated resulting to a clearer, crispier, less noisy vinyls.. it is an audiophile mastering method that has given 10ths of pristine audio records..

Now, a Direct To Disk recording can be combined with DMM mastering, that is what the advanced knowledge sound engineers in German Stockfisch Records do with absolute stunning results..

Stockfisch records are the only ones which can be directly compared (IMO) to some absolute miraculous recordings of the 60's.. I own much Stockfisch vinyls, (some are here), I also own many-many DMM records that sound excellent, perhaps I can list some of them here..

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Dear friend.. DMM is a MASTERING procedure not a RECORDING procedure.. That is, from a previous recorded 'Master Tape' or a 'Digital Master', the signal does NOT goes to the classic vinyl cutting lathe where must follow the steps of metal coating, father, mother, stampers, vinyl pressing... in DMM the signal goes STRAIGHT to a metal (copper) lathe from where in one-step plating process vinyls are printed.. that way three(3) steps in vinyl production are eliminated resulting to a clearer, crispier, less noisy vinyls.. it is an audiophile mastering method that has given 10ths of pristine audio records..

Now, a Direct To Disk recording can be combined with DMM mastering, that is what the advanced knowledge sound engineers in German Stockfisch Records do with absolute stunning results..

Stockfisch records are the only ones which can be directly compared (IMO) to some absolute miraculous recordings of the 60's.. I own much Stockfisch vinyls, (some are here), I also own many-many DMM records that sound excellent, perhaps I can list some of them here..

I am only quoting the liner notes on their own definition of direct disc and direct cutting, which they claim is the same thing but there are differences in mastering as you state. I have owned some stockfische records and sold them all, a case of good recording but not my type of musical performance.

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
I am only quoting the liner notes on their own definition of direct disc and direct cutting, which they claim is the same thing but there are differences in mastering as you state. I have owned some stockfische records and sold them all, a case of good recording but not my type of musical performance.

"the liner notes on their own definition of direct disc and direct cutting" are written by a irrelevant foolish Chinese that he knows about recording and mastering so as me I know about aerospace and spaceships.. don'd be fooled my friend from anyone's writings and don't give your money in vain.. Nat_King_Cole_Chinese.jpg

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have all Sheffield,some are amazing and some less,
but the best direct to disc i have are the Toshiba,incredible dynamic and amazing recording,and also good jazz music

IMG_3991.jpg
IMG_4002.jpg
IMG_4005.jpg
IMG_4007.jpg

Reactions: mtemur

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
And from M&K,besides Fatha,For Duke and Flamenco
also this are amazing

IMG_3990.jpg
In this organ recording there are recorded 16 HZ
IMG_3994.jpg
IMG_4015.jpg
IMG_4020.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4022.jpg
    IMG_4022.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: mtemur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing