The Direct to Disc thread

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I am really wondering if all that written above about Sheffield Lab D2D recordings are serious.. I believe all that Sheffield Lab records are really crap and rubbish!! the sound is dull and tiny, having squeezed imaging, non-musical, hard to be auditioned, tiring to ears.. I started to collect those 'audiophile' craps in the beginning of my audiophile era, have rid off most of them happily in good prices!! bad recordings, with the stressful mood of the musicians fearing of the 'one pass per side error', been very obvious.. there are really some nice D2D recordings, I will try to publish some here..

Now this post really shows how people can differ in their opinions in this hobby:eek:. To Manos, the Sheffield's suck...to me ( and all other a'philes that i know)...they are superb.
Not saying that some of the performances could in some ways be considered sub par..and maybe one might not like the music; but IME the overall SQ is still at or close to SOTA.
For example, the old bonbon...Dave Grusin Discovered Again. I would agree that to some people, this type of music won't appeal...BUT I would think that to call this recording "squeezed imaging, dull and tiny sound" ..and even "non musical" is a little bit of a stretch! Manos what gear did you happen to hear these LP's on?
@ HiFiGuy, since most of these LP's have literally been played to death over the last thirty years....it is all too easy to acquire a noisy copy these days. If you can source a clean copy, I think you may change your opinion.:D

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
hello Davey.. speaking about Dave Grusin do you really believe that statement recordings like 'Dave Grusin / Lee Ritenour ?– Harlequin (GRP-A-1015)' or 'Dave Grusin ?– Mountain Dance (Arista ?– GRP 5900) D2D' can be compared to 'Dave Grusin ?– Discovered Again (Sheffield Lab ?– LAB-5)' in sound/music quality?? Why don' t you try do that comparison yourself??

About my gear.. you (and every friend here) can read and have a look at my systems : here
best regards, I will try to continue the discussion and post some of my favorites D2D records as promised..

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I am really wondering if all that written above about Sheffield Lab D2D recordings are serious.. I believe all that Sheffield Lab records are really crap and rubbish!! the sound is dull and tiny, having squeezed imaging, non-musical, hard to be auditioned, tiring to ears.. I started to collect those 'audiophile' craps in the beginning of my audiophile era, have rid off most of them happily in good prices!! bad recordings, with the stressful mood of the musicians fearing of the 'one pass per side error', been very obvious.. there are really some nice D2D recordings, I will try to publish some here..

I have to disagree with you - I own a few of them and consider them great recordings, some of the best I own. Surely the perceived quality of a recording depends on the system and listener preference, but when I read such extreme opinion on all the Sheffield Lab records I can't take it seriously - it is not only my remembrance of great listening moments, the last one a few days ago, but also the opinions of people who have shown experience and expertise in these subjects during decades. Surely YMMV, it is why we have debates in WBF.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I have to disagree with you - I own a few of them and consider them great recordings, some of the best I own. Surely the perceived quality of a recording depends on the system and listener preference, but when I read such extreme opinion on all the Sheffield Lab records I can't take it seriously - it is not only my remembrance of great listening moments, the last one a few days ago, but also the opinions of people who have shown experience and expertise in these subjects during decades. Surely YMMV, it is why we have debates in WBF.
As you get your system dialed in and spend time with a real tt like your 927 you’ll come around to Manos’s point, specially on some of the performances. Not a fan of many audiophile labels either.

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
As you get your system dialed in and spend time with a real tt like your 927 you’ll come around to Manos’s point, specially on some of the performances. Not a fan of many audiophile labels either.

david

Sorry, David, Harry James sounds really good and enjoyable in my system and I hope it will go on sounding so ... I like the music and the recording. Considering performance, I feel the same for audiophile or non audiophile recordings and only get performances I appreciate - my audiophile collection is small in percentage, but very enjoyable for me!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Sorry, David, Harry James sounds really good and enjoyable in my system and I hope it will go on sounding so ... I like the music and the recording. Considering performance, I feel the same for audiophile or non audiophile recordings and only get performances I appreciate - my audiophile collection is small in percentage, but very enjoyable for me!

What are you alluding to when you at "audiophile recordings"... The reissues like classic records, analog productions, and D2Ds like Sheffield, etc or also originals from Decca etc. I am assuming someone from your generation must have purchased as a normal recording some of the originals that are considered collectible today by audiophiles

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
What are you alluding to when you at "audiophile recordings"... The reissues like classic records, analog productions, and D2Ds like Sheffield, etc or also originals from Decca etc. I am assuming someone from your generation must have purchased as a normal recording some of the originals that are considered collectible today by audiophiles

By audiophile recordings I mean labels that direct their recordings essentially to audiophiles - for example Chesky records, Reference Recordings, Wilson Audio, Sheffield Labs, Proprius and such. My most often played LPs are jazz . Since long I choose classic music based on preferred performance and mostly from contemporaneous recordings, not on the reference nostalgic performances, and moved it to digital. But as you refer, I also own and listen to a reasonable quantity of chamber music in LP format that I got when I was a lot younger and are now perhaps collectible, but surely not high value.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
hello Davey.. speaking about Dave Grusin do you really believe that statement recordings like 'Dave Grusin / Lee Ritenour ?– Harlequin (GRP-A-1015)' or 'Dave Grusin ?– Mountain Dance (Arista ?– GRP 5900) D2D' can be compared to 'Dave Grusin ?– Discovered Again (Sheffield Lab ?– LAB-5)' in sound/music quality?? Why don' t you try do that comparison yourself??

About my gear.. you (and every friend here) can read and have a look at my systems : here
best regards, I will try to continue the discussion and post some of my favorites D2D records as promised..

If we are talking just about SQ, then IMO the Sheffield Lab is in a totally different league to the other titles. I own all of these LP's and IMO Mountain Dance isn't even close to the SQ of Discovered Again--nor is Harlequin. As to music quality, they are all Dave Grusin, I don't hear much difference between any of them in that regard. I guess YMMV.

@DDK, what are you talking about...a real tt?? Do tell:rolleyes::eek:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

+1

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
If we are talking just about SQ, then IMO the Sheffield Lab is in a totally different league to the other titles. I own all of these LP's and IMO Mountain Dance isn't even close to the SQ of Discovered Again--nor is Harlequin. As to music quality, they are all Dave Grusin, I don't hear much difference between any of them in that regard. I guess YMMV.

@DDK, what are you talking about...a real tt?? Do tell:rolleyes::eek:

if we talk about 'hi-end' and 'audiophile' terms, sound quality and music worth are the only aspects to consider.. what else to compare?? the cover photos or the inlet text fonts??
and what does it mean 'the Sheffield Lab is in a totally different league to the other titles'?? I really cannot understand..

**where did you see DDK?? I have two(2) tt's in my profile 1. Nottingham Analogue Space 294 and 2. Pioneer PL550 DD (DD=Direct Drive)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
if we talk about 'hi-end' and 'audiophile' terms, sound quality and music worth are the only aspects to consider.. what else to compare?? the cover photos or the inlet text fonts??
and what does it mean 'the Sheffield Lab is in a totally different league to the other titles'?? I really cannot understand..

**where did you see DDK?? I have two(2) tt's in my profile 1. Nottingham Analogue Space 294 and 2. Pioneer PL550 DD (DD=Direct Drive)

Please re-read my post...and then if you still cannot understand, PM me. In a totally different league, means that the D2D sounds FAR FAR superior to the other examples that you posted. ( Sorry, league refers to a sports league, ie. major league vs, minor league ( which is where the non D2D discs would find themselves in) ) IMHO.:D

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I personally find most direct to disks boring, especially with jazz. The artists don't seem to play out or take risks. I have a few Japanese D2D's that are an exception to this rule, this Herbie Hancock is my personal favorite:
201029930847.jpg

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I personally find most direct to disks boring, especially with jazz. The artists don't seem to play out or take risks. I have a few Japanese D2D's that are an exception to this rule, this Herbie Hancock is my personal favorite:
View attachment 43233

Jeffery, you don't like the M&K LP..For Duke, or the M&K LP 'Fatha' ?? OTOH, there aren't that many D2D's that are bop...

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Jeffery, you don't like the M&K LP..For Duke, or the M&K LP 'Fatha' ?? OTOH, there aren't that many D2D's that are bop...

Maybe i have to expand my horizons. I was mainly talking about the Sheffield labs stuff. I'll look for a copy of the "For Duke," it seems to be referenced a lot.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Ok, we know about YMMV, but referring to ALL Sheffield Lab records as crap and rubbish, dull and tiny, squeezed imaging, non-musical, tiring, etc, has got to be the extreme reversal of 'reviews' that I have ever heard. I probably collected up to 25 titles in the Sheffield Lab catalog in my lifetime, and in my culling (selling) activities, I still have around 15 albums which are keepers. I have sold records for the past 30 years and counting, and just last month, I brought over to a friend's place an S9 Lincoln Mayorga and Distinguished Colleagues (the first Sheffield D2D), and he has never heard it nor ever heard about it. He wanted to hear it before he buys and I gladly obliged. After 40 seconds into the first cut, Up, Up and Away, he said, stop it, SOLD! And that was the 5th copy I have sold to friends, who had never fed me any negative feedback about the sonics whatsoever.

A lot of the Sheffield Lab albums went into HP's Super Disk, and I feel, rightly so. I have never heard a solo classical guitar tone as rich and pure and real as Michael Newman's D2D LP. And When my non-audiophile sister heard it, she asked me to tape it into a cassette tape for her and kept telling me how good it was on her mini component. And an old friend of mine who was present in Mark Levinson's audio sessions told me the Thelma Houston album was his favorite demo LP. I have great respect for the mastering work of the late Doug Sax who did all of the Sheffield LPs if I'm not mistaken, and I will continue to hold him in the highest esteem as evidenced by his works, notably on the Sheffield Lab label. Again, YMMV. :)

Reactions: mtemur

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
so, lets put some personal favorites Direct to Disc Jazz vinyls.. in the manner that they have excellent recording quality and great music worth..
sorry for not putting some Sheffield albums here, my opinion about Sheffield D2D recordings is held some posts before..

10 of the best sounding and musically worthy Direct To Disc Vinyl Albums
---------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Jun Fukamachi ?– Jun Fukamachi At Steinway (Toshiba Records ?– LF-95001) .. this is the best ever solo piano recording, in B2 'Ran-Man' Jun plays both in clavier and also harpisms inside the piano.. fantastic, amazing, unsurpassed
2. Fred Hunt Trio ?– Yesterdays (Erus ?– 2610 331) .. the absolute Jazz trio sound, excellent rhythm and dynamics, every sound and instrument in it's place and in it's tone
3. Bobby Durham Trio ?– Bobby Durham Trio (Black And Blue ?– 33.800) .. hard to find lp, sound and atmosphere like to be there, no reverb, no effects, great vocals, great drums and bass performance
4. 'Hannibal' Marvin Peterson* ?– Naima (Eastworld ?– EWLF-98004) .. Coltrane composition in an inspired and absolute sounding jazz recording.. must have, must audition..
5. The Bassface Swing Trio ?– Tribute To Cole Porter (Stockfisch Records ?– SFR 357.8056.1) .. this is a D2D and DMM recording.. the sound as all Stockfisch recordings is unmistakable, the music is a bit 'cold' due to stress IMO
6. Lew Tabackin With Toshiyuki Miyama And His New Herd ?– Vintage Tenor (RCA ?– RDCE-11) .. RCA-RDCE series, crispy, transparent, well balanced sound and good music
7. Freddie Hubbard ?– Ride Like The Wind (Elektra Musician ?– E1-60029) .. Recorded live to two tracks on June 13, 14, 1981.. mainstream jazz from the trumpet master, fantastic sounding, pure pleasure listening to
8. Mel Tormé & Buddy Rich ?– Together Again-For The First Time (Gryphon ?– G-784) .. Torme sensual voice, Buddy Rich in dums, a full brass section, big band orchestration, excellent lp
9. Merl Saunders ?– Do I Move You (Crystal Clear Records ?– CCS-5006) .. Funky-Soul and Jazz performance, bass slaps and synth riffs, a tribute to good electric & vocal music
10.Tom Waits ?– Small Change (Asylum Records ?– 7E-1078) - Tom performs live and been drunk, one of the best live jazz-blues solo performances, maybe the sound is not 10/10 but the music in in heaven

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I will try to continue the discussion and post some of my favorites D2D records as promised..

Thank you very much sir.
I really appreciate you and others expanding my musical horizon.

Kindest regards,
Tang

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I had stumbled into a CES Preview copy of James Newton Howard and Friends. I brought it over to listen to it on Jack's Ultra 11s a few weeks ago. The most realistic kick drum I've heard on a recording, with a huge and wide stage and virtually no compression on dynamics, and the all the tracks are fantastic. I needed to get a second copy for 'back-up'. :)

Interesting to note that on the commercial release, they changed some of the titles of the cuts.

viber image.jpg

11.jpg

Reactions: mtemur

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
so, lets put some personal favorites Direct to Disc Jazz vinyls.. in the manner that they have excellent recording quality and great music worth..
sorry for not putting some Sheffield albums here, my opinion about Sheffield D2D recordings is held some posts before..

10 of the best sounding and musically worthy Direct To Disc Vinyl Albums
---------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Jun Fukamachi ?– Jun Fukamachi At Steinway (Toshiba Records ?– LF-95001) .. this is the best ever solo piano recording, in B2 'Ran-Man' Jun plays both in clavier and also harpisms inside the piano.. fantastic, amazing, unsurpassed
2. Fred Hunt Trio ?– Yesterdays (Erus ?– 2610 331) .. the absolute Jazz trio sound, excellent rhythm and dynamics, every sound and instrument in it's place and in it's tone
3. Bobby Durham Trio ?– Bobby Durham Trio (Black And Blue ?– 33.800) .. hard to find lp, sound and atmosphere like to be there, no reverb, no effects, great vocals, great drums and bass performance
4. 'Hannibal' Marvin Peterson* ?– Naima (Eastworld ?– EWLF-98004) .. Coltrane composition in an inspired and absolute sounding jazz recording.. must have, must audition..
5. The Bassface Swing Trio ?– Tribute To Cole Porter (Stockfisch Records ?– SFR 357.8056.1) .. this is a D2D and DMM recording.. the sound as all Stockfisch recordings is unmistakable, the music is a bit 'cold' due to stress IMO
6. Lew Tabackin With Toshiyuki Miyama And His New Herd ?– Vintage Tenor (RCA ?– RDCE-11) .. RCA-RDCE series, crispy, transparent, well balanced sound and good music
7. Freddie Hubbard ?– Ride Like The Wind (Elektra Musician ?– E1-60029) .. Recorded live to two tracks on June 13, 14, 1981.. mainstream jazz from the trumpet master, fantastic sounding, pure pleasure listening to
8. Mel Tormé & Buddy Rich ?– Together Again-For The First Time (Gryphon ?– G-784) .. Torme sensual voice, Buddy Rich in dums, a full brass section, big band orchestration, excellent lp
9. Merl Saunders ?– Do I Move You (Crystal Clear Records ?– CCS-5006) .. Funky-Soul and Jazz performance, bass slaps and synth riffs, a tribute to good electric & vocal music
10.Tom Waits ?– Small Change (Asylum Records ?– 7E-1078) - Tom performs live and been drunk, one of the best live jazz-blues solo performances, maybe the sound is not 10/10 but the music in in heaven

Thanks for contributing those. I own several of them,and while I agree that they are very good, I don't think that they out shine the Sheffield's in any way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing