The Direct to Disc thread

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The ever popular Direct to Disc LP Flamenco Fever was spotted at a record vendor's wall at the Hong Kong Audio Visual Show 2 weeks ago, at a plump price of HK$11,000 or US$1,400. And it's not sealed.

111.jpg 112.jpg

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
The ever popular Direct to Disc LP Flamenco Fever was spotted at a record vendor's wall at the Hong Kong Audio Visual Show 2 weeks ago, at a plump price of HK$11,000 or US$1,400. And it's not sealed.

View attachment 28264 View attachment 28265

Aside from novelty or collectability, do any of you who own this actually enjoy listening to it? I sold mine some time ago, as mentioned here, not for that price but for a little under $400 which, at the time, was fine. I don't regret getting rid of it, since it funded records I'm more interested in listening to.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Aside from novelty or collectability, do any of you who own this actually enjoy listening to it? I sold mine some time ago, as mentioned here, not for that price but for a little under $400 which, at the time, was fine. I don't regret getting rid of it, since it funded records I'm more interested in listening to.

I am finding that with a lot of these records. Good demo material but the music is very average.

The For Duke I posted about earlier did not sell, I found mine for $5 USD, quiet and flat as hell.

Jazz at the Pawnshop is another one, great recording, its fun in the sense that you feel like you are in the club with all the ambient noise, but the actual music being played is not that interesting.

Also Ed Graham Hot Stix, great recording I enjoy it, just not a mind bending solo. Still searching for the one that fell through the cracks.

But I digress it has not stopped me from buying them when I find them at the right price.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I am finding that with a lot of these records. Good demo material but the music is very average.

The For Duke I posted about earlier did not sell, I found mine for $5 USD, quiet and flat as hell.

Jazz at the Pawnshop is another one, great recording, its fun in the sense that you feel like you are in the club with all the ambient noise, but the actual music being played is not that interesting.

But I digress it has not stopped me from buying them when I find them at the right price.

Bada-bing. If I understood the point of the thread, it was to identify those that are musically interesting. (Recognizing that musical taste and interest vary widely, hell, I'll get into a mood sometimes and listen to some pretty "lame" stuff, but it is more in the nature of "pop hits" that I heard on the radio and never heard over a good hi-fi system). Didn't mean to poop on the party. Carry on. :)

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Bada-bing. If I understood the point of the thread, it was to identify those that are musically interesting. (Recognizing that musical taste and interest vary widely, hell, I'll get into a mood sometimes and listen to some pretty "lame" stuff, but it is more in the nature of "pop hits" that I heard on the radio and never heard over a good hi-fi system). Didn't mean to poop on the party. Carry on. :)

Funny you mention that, lately I have been setting Plex on shuffle and just listening at random selection and when some of my rips from awhile back when I had my hot rod shop come up (loud listening environment), I realize I have not listened to some of these songs other than on a transistor radio as a kid or in the car as an adult, and some of them sound quite nice. I have even checked myself to make sure I am listening to the same version!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Funny you mention that, lately I have been setting Plex on shuffle and just listening at random selection and when some of my rips from awhile back when I had my hot rod shop come up (loud listening environment), I realize I have not listened to some of these songs other than on a transistor radio as a kid or in the car as an adult, and some of them sound quite nice. I have even checked myself to make sure I am listening to the same version!
Yep, grist for another thread. I think I started one here called "Non-Audiophile Records" for just that purpose. Enjoy...~

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
2 of my favorite are:

The "Romeo and Juliet" with Eric Leinsdorf conducting the LA Phil, as previously mentioned.

And one that no one mentioned, Canadian prog-rock band FM recorded a Driect-to-Disk album in 1978, imaginatively titled "Direct to disk". A reissue in 1980 was subtitled "Head Room".

This was 2 sideling tracks of intense prog rock, with some jazz-fusion and psych touches. Really well played, and great sounding.

300x300.jpg

Last edited:

stereotype

Jun 13, 2016
Frankfurt / Germany
audio-monster.de
Agreed, although none surpass it in sonics.

Here's a sampling of Analogue Productions Direct to Disc's. I do not own these, so feedback would be great:

1) View attachment 25656 Joe Beard

2) View attachment 25657 John Mooney

3) View attachment 25658 Doug Macleod...I am particularly interested in this one!

4) View attachment 25659 Roy Head

I got the Joe Beard LP and heard it yesterday the second time on my new Analogue setup - a very audiopile record - intense - i can recommend this one.
i definitely go for the others AP DTD also.

Last edited:

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I just ordered these two. Contemporary vocal jazz. Dont know if any one has these direct to disc. Will say if they are any good when arrive.

IMG_3226.JPG

IMG_3227.JPG

Tang

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland

download_69_m.jpg

Nitin Sawhney - One Zero 5LP D2D Box Set

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I will post this in the for sale section of WBF but I have found these 3 Sheffield Direct To Disc LP's. Brand new, still in the cellophane, never played. If interested, please PM me. I have no clue what they are worth but hopefully we can work something out.

ThelmaHoustonFront.JPG

P1000680.JPG

P1000678.JPG

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
I am really wondering if all that written above about Sheffield Lab D2D recordings are serious.. I believe all that Sheffield Lab records are really crap and rubbish!! the sound is dull and tiny, having squeezed imaging, non-musical, hard to be auditioned, tiring to ears.. I started to collect those 'audiophile' craps in the beginning of my audiophile era, have rid off most of them happily in good prices!! bad recordings, with the stressful mood of the musicians fearing of the 'one pass per side error', been very obvious.. there are really some nice D2D recordings, I will try to publish some here..

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I will try to publish some here..

Please do, Manos.

I just revisit this post. The Jocelyn album I posted up top sucks.

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: Manos_Bits

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is interesting Manos.

I love the recording quality and the sound of Amanda McBroom’s Growing Up In Hollywood Town and the Thelma Houston. They are two of the most transparent female recordings I have ever heard.

Musically, I like “The Rose” and “I’ve Got the Music in Me.”

Manos_Bits

Apr 13, 2014
ATHENS - GREECE
www.aca.gr
hello dear Ron..
with respect your opinion even I do not fully agree..
as I remember the only two records from Sheffield Lab that have a good all around production (not something the extraordinary) are the Sheffield Lab 7 - Wagner-Erich-Leinsdorf-Los-Angeles-Philharmonic-Die-Walküre-Ride-Of-The-Valkyries-Tristan-Und-Isold and Sheffield Lab 8 - Prokofiev-Erich-Leinsdorf-Romeo-And-Juliet-Ballet-Excerpts.. on the other side recordings like Lincoln-Mayorga-Brahms-Variations-And-Fugue-On-A-Theme-By-Handel - Sheffield Lab 4 are of the most badly made, with thin muddy sound and out of phase..

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I am really wondering if all that written above about Sheffield Lab D2D recordings are serious.. I believe all that Sheffield Lab records are really crap and rubbish!! the sound is dull and tiny, having squeezed imaging, non-musical, hard to be auditioned, tiring to ears.. I started to collect those 'audiophile' craps in the beginning of my audiophile era, have rid off most of them happily in good prices!! bad recordings, with the stressful mood of the musicians fearing of the 'one pass per side error', been very obvious.. there are really some nice D2D recordings, I will try to publish some here..

I find this mostly true. Most of the Sheffield Labs I find noisy and blah. When I found this thread I jumped up and went and bought most of them and was so disappointed musically.

Last weekend I dug all D2D and other "audiophile" recordings out and gave them a spin to see if some marinating sweetened them up a bit...not so much!

Found almost all of them at $10 or less, guess you get what you pay for. More than likely they will be listed on ebay and will see what current market conditions are.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That is interesting Manos.

I love the recording quality and the sound of Amanda McBroom’s Growing Up In Hollywood Town and the Thelma Houston. They are two of the most transparent female recordings I have ever heard.

Musically, I like “The Rose” and “I’ve Got the Music in Me.”

When I started this hobby in the 80s, dealers were using the Amanda Growing Up in Hollywood as a demo disc. It is still a reference for many of my friends till present day. I am on my 4th copy, with another as back up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing