The Direct to Disc thread

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
A lot of us have heard some of the very best Direct to Disc LP's. IMHO, they can be some of the best sounding LP's that one can own. However, I also believe that a lot of them were sub-par in their music content. Tonight, I was listening to several good Direct to Disc LP's...a few of them exceptional...and a few, well let's just say less than stellar.

So, to add to our knowledge base, i thought I would start this thread, wherein we can discuss the merits and pitfalls of the various Direct to Disk(c) LP's that we have heard or currently own. I am hoping that a few of the more stellar titles, some of which are a little esoteric and unknown, will come to our attention.

I will start with the few that I heard tonight..
1) This LP is now on MF's hot list and in some ways deservedly so... th.jpeg A great recording in most ways, although i feel the alto sax is recorded a little too hot and therefore comes off in places as a tad bright....overall a great recording with IMO fairly good music.Highly Recommended--but ONLY if one can source a Mint or Mint minus copy!
2) I have the white vinyl version of this: th-1.jpeg It's not as good as a lot of other D to D's BUT it has some good drum sounds and and is worth picking up IF you are interested in the sound of a good drum part. Music is second rate IMO.
Perhaps the black vinyl version would sound better, but the music is lacking IMHO.

3) I had great hopes for this LP... th-2.jpeg BUT the sound is only fair...compared to the LA 4 above and numerous other D to D's. Music is also a little underwhelming. I would skip this one.

4) The old war horse: th-3.jpeg on Sheffield Lab. Probably we all have a copy of this LP...If not I do suggest finding a copy, although the condition is critical, several copies that I have are somewhat noisy in places...and most used copies one can find are the same. However, a sealed copy would be well worth seeking out. Highly recommended.

Shall we continue:

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I bet those sound awesome Davey! Thanks for sharing.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Christian, thanks, that is on my radar. I think it was on HP's list for a while and then fell out of popularity...I have no idea as to why.
Others?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian, thanks, that is on my radar. I think it was on HP's list for a while and then fell out of popularity...I have no idea as to why.
Others?

of course you know about For Duke. If you like piano...this is killer.

Attachments

• 360571318035.jpg
    360571318035.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 551

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This was one of my very first Direct to Disc that was not a Sheffield Lab LP and the opening of the first cut Arabesque always dropped jaws when I play it to my friends. Dynamics and clarity are tops here.

100_3558.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Many Sheffield discs, plus Truth (a Christian group), few others... My LPs are in storage so not sure the list. I must say the Sheffield CDs are among the better remasters; much of the pop stuff I have sounds terrible on CD and it's clearly just a mastering/transfer problem.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This was one of my very first Direct to Disc that was not a Sheffield Lab LP and the opening of the first cut Arabesque always dropped jaws when I play it to my friends. Dynamics and clarity are tops here.

View attachment 25539

Yes, of course I know about 'For Duke'...but let's add the special M&K Lp's here:

1) For Duke th.jpeg Superb on all counts. Music and sound.

2) Fatha..Earl 'Fatha' Hines. th-1.jpeg Great piano sound. Not quite as great as 'For Duke' above...

3) Flamenco Fever.. th-2.jpeg Great sound, music is superb ( IF you like Flamenco). Hard to source today.

Others....

Reactions: hb22 and mtemur

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think the Sheffield Lab discs of Amanda McBroom's "Growing Up in Hollywood Town" and Thelma Houston's "I've Got the Music in Me" have the most transparent female vocals I have ever heard on vinyl.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Another one of the best - "The Three", a masterful jazz trio with Joe Sample, Ray Brown and Shelly Manne. Make sure you get the East Wind Direct Cut version from 1976, as it was also later re-issued as a standard LP. :D

TracklistHide Credits

A1Yearnin'
Composed By – Oliver Nelson
5:04
A2On Green Dolphin Street
Composed By – B. Kaper*, N. Washington*​
5:17
A3Satin Doll
Composed By – B. Strayhorn*, D. Ellington*, J. Mercer*​
5:38
B1Manha Do Carnaval
Composed By – A. Maria*, F. Llenas*, L. Bonfa*​
5:59
B2Round About Midnight
Composed By – B. D. Hanighen*, C. Williams*, T. Monk*​
4:34
B3Funky Blues
Composed By – J. Sample*, R. Brown*, S. Manne*​
5:10

Attachments

• R-2314982-1337880142-1491.jpeg.jpg
    R-2314982-1337880142-1491.jpeg.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 1,011

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have a few of these based on everyone's recommendations. How about a list of the top 10 must have D2D albums

I just got a new unopened For Duke that I found in Germany

That is kind of what I was hoping for in my OP. There are some real gems to be had and heard in the D2D library. Many of them are fairly unknown.

As an example, I just learned about the LP that audio.bill posted above. Looks like a real winner.

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Another one of the best - "The Three", a masterful jazz trio with Joe Sample, Ray Brown and Shelly Manne. Make sure you get the East Wind Direct Cut version from 1976, as it was also later re-issued as a standard LP. :D

TracklistHide Credits

A1Yearnin'
Composed By – Oliver Nelson
5:04
A2On Green Dolphin Street
Composed By – B. Kaper*, N. Washington*​
5:17
A3Satin Doll
Composed By – B. Strayhorn*, D. Ellington*, J. Mercer*​
5:38
B1Manha Do Carnaval
Composed By – A. Maria*, F. Llenas*, L. Bonfa*​
5:59
B2Round About Midnight
Composed By – B. D. Hanighen*, C. Williams*, T. Monk*​
4:34
B3Funky Blues
Composed By – J. Sample*, R. Brown*, S. Manne*​
5:10

Coincidentally I am spinning this now. I don't find anything special about the sonics.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Commonly regarded as Sheffield Labs first direct to disc LP, Lincoln Mayorga and Distinguished Colleagues, often often called S-9, this one has good dynamics and good cuts, among which the instrumental rendition of Up Up and Away and All The Things You Are.

130860194825.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing