The Direct to Disc thread

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My favorite pop/rock instrumental since the mid 80s. I remember I played this on my newly purchased ARC D115 tube amp and found it had better, tighter and punchier bass than my SS amp. :D

IMG_20150406_171351.jpg

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Coincidentally I am spinning this now. I don't find anything special about the sonics.
Sorry about that, you must need a better system! ;) Just kidding! It only shows that what sounds impressive on one setup may not be on another, and our preferences are all different. One prefers chocolate and another vanilla...

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Commonly regarded as Sheffield Labs first direct to disc LP, Lincoln Mayorga and Distinguished Colleagues, often often called S-9, this one has good dynamics and good cuts, among which the instrumental rendition of Up Up and Away and All The Things You Are.

View attachment 25564

Phil, I don't own S-9...always seems to be in VG- or VG at best when I have seen it. What is the music content like?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Sorry about that, you must need a better system! ;) Just kidding! It only shows that what sounds impressive on one setup may not be on another, and our preferences are all different. One prefers chocolate and another vanilla...

That's a good point. Although, I have typically found that when it comes to sonics ( not the like of a particular kind of music) there is a lot more consistency between listeners. For example, I doubt anyone would say that 'For Duke' is not a superb sounding LP.
Perhaps, MadFloyd could elaborate as to why he feels the sonics are nothing special.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Phil, I don't own S-9...always seems to be in VG- or VG at best when I have seen it. What is the music content like?

Davey,

It is indeed very very hard to land a NM play grade copy of the S-9. I have had copies that 'look' NM but they exhibit some groove noise in the quieter cuts. I guess virgin vinyl wasn't used then. The track selections are:

A1 Grand Boulevard

Written-By – Lincoln Mayorga

A2 Good Vibrations

Written-By – Brian Wilson, Mike Love

A3 Anyone Who Had A Heart

Written-By – David - Bacharach*

A4 I'll Be Back

Guitar [Lead] – Al HendricksonWritten-By – Lennon-McCartney

A5 Learning To Be Kind

Written-By – Lincoln Mayorga, Skip Carmel

B1 Up, Up And Away

Written-By – Jim Webb*

B2 Mercy, Mercy

Written-By – Josef Zawinul*

B3 She's Leaving Home

Written-By – Lennon-McCartney

B4 Don't Think Twice

Written-By – Bob Dylan

B5 All The Things You Are

Written-By – Hammerstein-Kern

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That's a good point. Although, I have typically found that when it comes to sonics ( not the like of a particular kind of music) there is a lot more consistency between listeners. For example, I doubt anyone would say that 'For Duke' is not a superb sounding LP.

Davey, I agree. And I am reminded of this magazine ad from one of the partners of M&K, Jonas Miller.

100_2659.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks for posting all that, Phil. I can just about remember the days of Miller sound. Seems like in those days the hobby was a lot smaller and in many ways, at least to me, more "intimate", if you know what I mean.

My pleasure, Davey. Agree about the hobby in those days, prices were a lot more 'down to earth' then too. :)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This one from Sheffiled Lab is a beauty. Rich, smooth and pure string tones.

Newman_-_Italian_Pleasures_0411.jpg

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Hello Hank Jones with Clifford Jordan, East World label, is pretty good as I remember. I have shelves of D2D that I bought over the years- rarely listen to them. Did sell my Flamenco Fever a few years ago. It went to the Far East. When I get a chance to listen, I'm usually digging for music, not for sonics, so you are right to ask- which ones are more than sonic pablum? I guess if I had more time and patience, I'd try to figure that out. They do often offer great sonics, though.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I've posted many direct to disc recommendations in my music threads, but this one bears repeating here. Fantastic performance and killer sound.

View attachment 25548

Another killer big band direct disc

View attachment 25549

Thanks for the recommendation, Gary. I just acquired a sealed copy of Les Brown and am anxious to hear it.
There are a number of other D2D's that I think could be worthy of a listen...I am going to be posting some of them.
Meanwhile, other suggestions are welcome.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Last edited:

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Here's an oldie! I had a sealed copy, and gave it to Jack Renner of Telarc many years later, just before they sold their interest in the company. Had another copy that was great listening!

Lee

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
The Sheffield Romeo and Juliet was a long-time favorite, and I now have the 20-bit remastered CD (not as good as the original LP). Leinsdorf led this performance with very clean lines, but it ultimately is surpassed musically by a few other versions.

Lee

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The Sheffield Romeo and Juliet was a long-time favorite, and I now have the 20-bit remastered CD (not as good as the original LP). Leinsdorf led this performance with very clean lines, but it ultimately is surpassed musically by a few other versions.

Lee
Agreed, although none surpass it in sonics.

Here's a sampling of Analogue Productions Direct to Disc's. I do not own these, so feedback would be great:

1) th.jpeg Joe Beard

2) aplpd2d020.jpg John Mooney

3) 108286.jpg Doug Macleod...I am particularly interested in this one!

4) AAPO_024__85461__11122012041725-2315.jpg Roy Head

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Last night I listened to my new copy of Les Brown on Direct to Disc. Thank you to Gary for his recommendation.
The LP was recorded in 1977 and is an excellent sounding LP....with what I feel are a few warts.....

The impression that I got was that the recording gear that was used for the session...not sure what it was as I don't recall seeing any mention of it, was probably solid state and moreover was probably multi mike. I compared this recording to my Blue Note original of Horace Parlan on the Spur of the moment ( a very typical RVG recording that is-- at least on my system very warm and intimate) and the reissue of the same record by Music Matters on 45rpm. The reissue being slightly more dynamic and a little more resolving (again on my system). Both of these LP's are not D2D and both, IMHO, sound far superior to the Les Brown LP. ( I am not talking quality of music, but purely SQ). The D2D is lacking somewhat in the ultimate top end resolution and seems to be a little unfocused in the bass. Most of the time, while listening to the D2D i kept on thinking something was awry...although the SQ is very high; just not quite in the league of the RVG Blue Notes. Since the D2D was recorded in the 70's, I suspect that like I said above, the recording chain may have been the culprit...or maybe something else???? Anyone else have the same impressions?

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Another release of Amanda McBroom's Growing up in Hollywood Town, this one marketed by KLH . Same vinyl still from Sheffield Lab.

2c5cdab163e42a83584c7e41e0427170adbc475527e22adf9279beb251d1efd9.jpg

ce04ff88fc11c270ceab75044e6d2d0a0f0996e1a4636e1cc3f527003409b795.jpg

929a73506216b330637929db0f238f196ef6a430c95e53122820e207a5e39c6d.jpg

07b59fd7746eccd45f80e93b6d893e82c411d1780a78f3265f6c60ebc11b53e3.jpg

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
img_0500.jpg

I haven't listened to this in a long time but I recall this as my favorite of the 'trilogy' Harry James did for Sheffield Lab. The music is more laid back in presentation than For Duke but when you get to crank it up, your room suddenly becomes a 'ballroom'.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
View attachment 26068

I haven't listened to this in a long time but I recall this as my favorite of the 'trilogy' Harry James did for Sheffield Lab. The music is more laid back in presentation than For Duke but when you get to crank it up, your room suddenly becomes a 'ballroom'.

The Harry James LP is excellent. Although I think the M&K For Duke has better SQ.

Here are a couple of others: th-2.jpeg and one of my Nautilus favorites...IF you can find a clean copy: $_35.JPG

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing