CES 2016: Raidho

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

Lots of great music, and nice sound. Hard to ask for more.

They swapped speakers which was very nice:

XT-2 towers are $18,000. Too much in my opinion. The D-31 bigger tower was crazy priced at $65,000.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
How did the AAVIK C-300/P-300 sound?

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I've always liked the Raidho stuff at shows and elsewhere, but yeah, when I was told that the monitors were over 10K, I had to gag a bit. Though Raidho is far from the only manufacturer w/gag-worthy pricing.

Has anybody heard the Scansonic stuff? Similar drivers by the same designer as the Raidhos -- much lower pricing. Very curious to hear these.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
How did the AAVIK U-300 sound? We share the same engineer for the DAC/pre section.
As I mentioned, the whole system sounded nice. I have no way at shows to characterize the sound of anything outside of the speaker.

BTW, the transport was Puccini.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Since I went to their suite twice, here are my notes from the second visit:

1. The played a nice classical piece by Lang Lang. Unfortunately I did not capture the album/track. Love to have some of his performances so if someone has a recommendation, please post :).

2. They said they used damping in the port to create constant pressure through it causing the load on the driver to be constant.

3. On the amplifier they said it is unconditionally stable since the phase shift is under 90 degrees. 1/2 Farad worth of capacitance! They had gone the extra mile to put copper heatsinks even on internal transistors.

4. The highs were crisp which I consider typical of these ribbon tweeters.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I've always liked the Raidho stuff at shows and elsewhere, but yeah, when I was told that the monitors were over 10K, I had to gag a bit. Though Raidho is far from the only manufacturer w/gag-worthy pricing.

Has anybody heard the Scansonic stuff? Similar drivers by the same designer as the Raidhos -- much lower pricing. Very curious to hear these.

I bet they are near the same.

It seems like you need to have two lines in audio these days, one for the Asian market with grossly inflated MSRP and actual sales prices maybe being lower, and another line that is more reasonable for the US/Euro market.

TitaniumTroy

Jan 11, 2011
South Bend IN
I loved the look of the AAVIK U-300, amplifier at AXPONA. It's hard to show in pics but it's a matte black, with the white lights on the dial give a nice contrast. Plus it has those solid billet bored out heat sinks, like it was the Darth Vader of amps.

At the AXPONA show another gentleman from Raidho was in charge of the presentation. He liked to talk a lot about their philosophy and how these reed things on the wall were diffusors. So much so when I saw a moment to ask to play some music, which he did. Just some something simple from Peter, Paul and Mary. It sounded very good they sounded like they were in the room, everyone thought it sounded great. Then everyone promptly walked out before this windbag could get started again.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Correct. Courtesy of 50 megapixel camera :), we can zoom in, brighten the image and see the boxes:

There's a proper preamp/DAC unit. But they aren't exactly giving it away.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Up for sale are my Raidho D-3, Latest Version 2, Walnut Burl Finish for $31,000 USD. The speakers are in absolutely mint condition (10/10) and have very low hours. Please see the Buy and Sell Forum for further details.

Thanks,
Ken

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing