The Aries Cerat Symphonia - One Loudspeaker to Rule Them All??

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
For those you who missed the extravaganza of Munich here is a demo video by the guys at Moiz audio using one of the best mics on the market. As good as it is going to get to hear the Aries Cerat Symphonia and electronics without being there in person

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
For those you who missed the extravaganza of Munich here is a demo video by the guys at Moiz audio using one of the best mics on the market. As good as it is going to get to hear the Aries Cerat Symphonia and electronics without being there in person

Hey BHF,

I happened to be in the room whilst Moiz set up the mics. They’re the Pearl rectangular capsule mics which I’ve always been fascinated with but had never seen in the flesh until then. The mic configuration appeared to be a M/S pair, with a figure-of-eight mic facing East-West and a cardiod above mounted vertically . I’m not sure if that’s exactly what Mioz used in this video (perhaps Moiz could confirm?), but it sounds quite M/S-like to me, with very articulate imaging and a decrease in off-axis (i.e. room) sound. In any case, admitting it's difficult if not impossible to be too definitive in one's evaluation of recorded music reproduced via a transducer captured via another transducer, in some important ways it's actually not too dissimilar to what I experienced in that room over the two days I was there, and so ridiculously superior to the, er… other Video Reviewer Who Shall Not Be Named it’s not even funny.

Nice job.

853guy

Last edited:

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Hey BHF,

I happened to be in the room whilst Moiz set up the mics. They’re the Pearl rectangular capsule mics which I’ve always been fascinated with but had never seen in the flesh until then. The mic configuration appeared to be a M/S pair, with a figure-of-eight mic facing East-West and a cardiod above mounted vertically . I’m not sure if that’s exactly what Mioz used in this video (perhaps Moiz could confirm?), but it sounds quite M/S-like to me, with very articulate imaging and a decrease in off-axis (i.e. room) sound. In any case, admitting it's difficult if not impossible to be too definitive in one's evaluation of recorded music reproduced via a transducer captured via another transducer, in some important ways it's actually not too dissimilar to what I experienced in that room over the two days I was there, and so ridiculously superior to the, er… other Video Reviewer Who Shall Not Be Named it’s not even funny.

Nice job.

853guy

Hello Mr 853,

For the videos I record I use an ISOMike because it is USB capable and easy to travel with. Knowing how that sounds and the quality of this recorder is an amazing difference. Knowing the way the Symphonias sound and to capture all of what it can do for consumption online is challenging (as it is for any top shelf system).

Glad you made it to Munich and had the chance to hear the latest and greatest in the tiny room they managed to get. Peter continues to surprise me as he actively promotes The Million Dollar Audio Note System, but doesn't splurge on a nice shotgun mic from Sennheiser or the like. Not that there is any written rule that because you are an audiophile/reviewer you have to also have the best recording equipment to with it. As long as people like the room is what is most important and I am happy he likes it enough to continue to cover the Aries Cerat lineup.

Now if I can just get Fremer and Valin interested in covering new brands rather than the usual routine visits to the same manufacturers then I will be a happy camper.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Hello Mr 853,

For the videos I record I use an ISOMike because it is USB capable and easy to travel with. Knowing how that sounds and the quality of this recorder is an amazing difference. Knowing the way the Symphonias sound and to capture all of what it can do for consumption online is challenging (as it is for any top shelf system).

Glad you made it to Munich and had the chance to hear the latest and greatest in the tiny room they managed to get. Peter continues to surprise me as he actively promotes The Million Dollar Audio Note System, but doesn't splurge on a nice shotgun mic from Sennheiser or the like. Not that there is any written rule that because you are an audiophile/reviewer you have to also have the best recording equipment to with it. As long as people like the room is what is most important and I am happy he likes it enough to continue to cover the Aries Cerat lineup.

Now if I can just get Fremer and Valin interested in covering new brands rather than the usual routine visits to the same manufacturers then I will be a happy camper.

Hello Mr. BHF,

I can't find any info on the ISOMike...? Do you have one you could share?

For problematic rooms Mid-Side miking is actually a really smart choice because you end up with three signals, the straight ahead cardiod signal (the Mid), and the figure-of-eight signal (the two Side ones) able to be mixed independently of one another, giving greater options for the blend of direct to reflected sound. The Pearl mics are not inexpensive, but they're worlds ahead of most if not all camcorder cameras. Also, by setting them up at the sweetspot the camera's then free to get differing perspectives without the weird phasing that happens when the mic wanders around the room.

As to Valin and Fremer, if you can't get Mohammed to come to the mountain, maybe you take the mountain to them...

Best,

853guy

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
853Guy, What music was that on the Aries?

Hi Husk,

I had left the room by the time Moiz started recording, but I believe it's this:

Best,

853guy

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Hello Mr. BHF,

I can't find any info on the ISOMike...? Do you have one you could share?

For problematic rooms Mid-Side miking is actually a really smart choice because you end up with three signals, the straight ahead cardiod signal (the Mid), and the figure-of-eight signal (the two Side ones) able to be mixed independently of one another, giving greater options for the blend of direct to reflected sound. The Pearl mics are not inexpensive, but they're worlds ahead of most if not all camcorder cameras. Also, by setting them up at the sweetspot the camera's then free to get differing perspectives without the weird phasing that happens when the mic wanders around the room.

As to Valin and Fremer, if you can't get Mohammed to come to the mountain, maybe you take the mountain to them...

Best,

853guy

Would help if I got the name right wouldn't it? The product is the IRig Studio Mic Pro

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmicstudio/

Since I have one of the newest Iphones and it really isn't about image quality anyway (although I am shopping for a mirrorless as we speak) getting a much better than phone quality recording is easy with this thing.

It has a built in LED that will tell you if the mic is at the appropriate volume level at the distance positioned once you play some music and you adjust the dial until it is the right setting. Piece of cake.

Not at the level of the Pearl mic, but that one is not as convenient as the IRig and doesn't require special connections. MY DLSR is old and doesn't support video so this was the next best thing until I can decide between the the Sony A7S II or GH5 that just came out. Decisions, decisions...

I have explored both options and unfortunately Mohammad is not willing to do either it seems. I have also invited others like JA I met at Newport, but to no avail. I only bring up JV and Frember because JV is a horn guy and Fremer is ultra critical so if you pass the gauntlet you are on Mt Everest. One day....

Narayan

Oct 6, 2015
Would help if I got the name right wouldn't it? The product is the IRig Studio Mic Pro

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmicstudio/

Since I have one of the newest Iphones and it really isn't about image quality anyway (although I am shopping for a mirrorless as we speak) getting a much better than phone quality recording is easy with this thing.

It has a built in LED that will tell you if the mic is at the appropriate volume level at the distance positioned once you play some music and you adjust the dial until it is the right setting. Piece of cake.

Not at the level of the Pearl mic, but that one is not as convenient as the IRig and doesn't require special connections. MY DLSR is old and doesn't support video so this was the next best thing until I can decide between the the Sony A7S II or GH5 that just came out. Decisions, decisions...

I have explored both options and unfortunately Mohammad is not willing to do either it seems. I have also invited others like JA I met at Newport, but to no avail. I only bring up JV and Frember because JV is a horn guy and Fremer is ultra critical so if you pass the gauntlet you are on Mt Everest. One day....

I like Fremer but I don´t think he´s too prolific at speaker reviewing, why not Jeff Fritz? He also seems like an honest tell it like it is reviewer, although he doesn´t seem too fond of Wilson speakers, the opposite of Mr. Fremer. You also have Frederic Beudot from 6 Moons who´s USA based...just thinking out loud.

Moiz Audio

Jun 6, 2017
Hey BHF,

Nice job.

853guy

Hi

It was nice meeting you. see you next time.

br
moiz

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Hi

It was nice meeting you. see you next time.

br
moiz

Hi Moiz,

Yes, next time I'll loiter a little longer, but again, thanks for taking the time and effort to make the videos, they really sound great.

Take care,

853guy

Moiz Audio

Jun 6, 2017
Hi Husk,

I had left the room by the time Moiz started recording, but I believe it's this:

Best,

853guy

someone asked about posting the sound file only..( first time someone asked)

https://soundcloud.com/moiz-fidelit...d-munich-nick-heyward-traffic-in-fleet-street

recorded with Pearl MS8-CL into a Nagra Seven

This was done around 10:00 ....

we ran into some technical difficulties and had to re-do 2 tracks in the evening, where we set up Pearl ELM-C as mid and Pearl ELM-B as side channel.

br
moiz

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear flyer,

What is the black box behind the speaker?

Best,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Congrats

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Dear flyer,

What is the black box behind the speaker?

Best,
Tang

Hello Tang (and David),

There are three black boxes behind the speakers :)

The one in the middle is effectively an older sofa that needs to be removed...

The smaller one, close to the speaker, is the crossover box you see in the following picture as it gets pulled out of the crate.

View attachment IMG_1119.jpg

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Merci (in the name of the owner as he doesn't come on this forum).

Un système d’ecoute impressionnant, félicitations:)

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Am curious...@ Munich the tweeter/ midrange bells were on the outside of the cabinets....whereas in the recent installl they were on the inside ...if I may ask what determines?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing