The Aries Cerat Symphonia - One Loudspeaker to Rule Them All??

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
MDF is a big no-no in our workstation.It's chemical additives are way nastier....and this dust goes everywhere.
The way this 5-axis workstation moves and it's working envelope forbids any head-mounted vacuum apparatus....unfortunately

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Indeed. I were an industrial Powered AIR Respirator (PAR) from 3M around my CNC machine and even then, stand back if I can help it.

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Thing is,the MDF dust is very fine and even if you do not breath it deirectly,you will eventually as i goes a long way and settles there...

How is this for wood machining? :)

This is the 1 out of 4 pieces that comprise our midbass horn for the Contendo speaker.. 4 feet diameter

11904673_886746924737955_2881947217451182614_n.jpg

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Nice mill! I have access to a workspace with a 4x8 ft 3-axis CNC router, it's a very cool machine, it's amazing how much flexibility of design you have with CNC, without it taking forever or costing a fortune.

Also, one question on the shape... If you use the horn above it's cutoff frequency is there really an issue with diffraction and a need for the pod-shaped horns?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I refuse to use MDF for anything anymore. Baltic birch minimum.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is cheating using that multi-axis CNC :D.

Here is my handy work for a client using mine:

They were then painted and LED lit on the sides of a screen for a very high-end theater.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Very nice looking speakers. I do have one comment. I feel "spent" on Fostex drivers. Too many years. Seeing that color makes me discount anything I see it in. Yes that's a weird personal thing, but you could probably get a better driver anyway. The guy selling his speakers for a Song at Omega seems to have a better formula for making drivers than Fostex. But don't worry, I might be the only person in the world with this reservation.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Nice mill! I have access to a workspace with a 4x8 ft 3-axis CNC router, it's a very cool machine, it's amazing how much flexibility of design you have with CNC, without it taking forever or costing a fortune.

I have a decent machine at my disposal as well. Has the autoloader/unloader upgrades. Stack the material on 1 end, and like a printer it will feed the sheets through and offload on a conveyer belt on the back end. Pretty slick setup.
image1-1.jpg

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
We can pretty much machine anything we come up to design-wise and implement whatever theory we come up to and put it to test.This gave us the opportunity to experiment with our diffraction -less horns

Below is what i made for fun.Almost 3 feet high :)

285617_333503626770448_976525217_n.jpg 420259_333503680103776_1371815824_n.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
It is cheating using that multi-axis CNC :D.

Here is my handy work for a client using mine:

They were then painted and LED lit on the sides of a screen for a very high-end theater.

What machine do you have Amir? You need to build yourself some speakers :)

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Looks like there would be some good 3D printing applications in speaker component building. Anyone using this technology?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
What machine do you have Amir?
It is from a local company that went out of business. I bought it from someone who rebuilt it with better parts. It is a 4x10 foot machine.

You need to build yourself some speakers :)
My chief designer builds a lot of custom subs for our customers and the idea is to use the machine to produce those. The problem has been that I am way too lazy to follow through with such projects. :D

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Here is a clip about the mid-horn's bullet enclosure construction...
Mind you that the particular ones machined are destined for flyer's Symphonia :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
You make beautifull designed gear , i like the pre / power amps construction /built .
Is there a reason to use certain types of wood/wood structure in horndesign ?

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
The long-awaited final review of the Aries Cerat Symphonia by Mono&Stereo is out. Stavros Danos, the owner and chief engineer of Aries Cerat, should be all smiles by now with so much accolade and an Editor's Choice :D

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/03/aries-cerat-symphonia-horn-speakers.html

Enjoy the read!

These speakers can be heard in my demo room near Brussels from April on. Alternatively, they will be playing at the Munich High End Show in room number P13 in Hall 3.

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX
We will be ready to host a full system of Aries Cerat electronics and the Symphonia come March 1st 2016 in the Austin, TX area. I will also add the system to the virtual systems on AGON when it is all setup.
I just came across this and although this is definitely not within my budget, I'd still be curious to listen to it the next time I have to travel to Austin. Is it still in Austin?
Best regards

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I just came across this and although this is definitely not within my budget, I'd still be curious to listen to it the next time I have to travel to Austin. Is it still in Austin?
Best regards

Yes we have the Limited Edition Symphonias for demo here in Austin

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Thing is,the MDF dust is very fine and even if you do not breath it deirectly,you will eventually as i goes a long way and settles there...

How is this for wood machining? :)

This is the 1 out of 4 pieces that comprise our midbass horn for the Contendo speaker.. 4 feet diameter

View attachment 25515

Well said. You know MDF has been proved to promote lung cancer. I cringe seeing those guys cutting sheets of dreaded the stuff in DIY stores......

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Well said. You know MDF has been proved to promote lung cancer. I cringe seeing those guys cutting sheets of dreaded the stuff in DIY stores......
It is carcinogenic indeed. As a construction material especially in audio is very poor. But i would not use d mdf even if it was best thing out there. Which is not.

Best
Stavros

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing