The Aries Cerat Symphonia - One Loudspeaker to Rule Them All??

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Hello WBF members,

I would like to first call attention the question marks at the end of topic statement this time :)

Joking aside, have you noticed that the Ultimate expression of the best loudspeaker for Magico or Living Voice are not their dynamic speakers, which can stand on their own, but in a cost-no-object horn design?

What is it about horns that make them so desired and yet so rejected at the same time?

How can a speaker tell the most real truth about your music and yet also lie straight to your face?

Why are there so few horn manufacturers out there?

Why are the owners of horn speakers known as perverts? :eek:

We hope to answer these questions through the introduction of the First Zero Diffraction 3 way Horn speaker... The Symphonia by Aries Cerat.

Most of us that have heard a horn speaker know about Dynamics. It is the first thing you become aware of compared to a traditional dynamic loudspeaker. Music is uncompressed and effortless through a horn with percussion and impact that truly is LIVE. They are also exceptionally efficient, leaving a slew of options for power. The high level of efficiency gives a more consistent listening experience for more than one listener, in more than one seated position.

This is the real truth. The lies are much more influential though....

Poor design and support is commonplace in horn speaker design. The end result are dynamics that are highly colored resulting in ringing, honking, and disjointed bass being the most common. Because horns are like a microscope of your front end, harshness and bright sound is falsely conveyed on the speaker and not the true culprit. Room conditions must also be optimal as horns can throw much more energy into the room. A poorly treated room will give you reflections for days making listening painful because all you hear is room. These traits have become pervasive in the majority of horn design and are best described sounding "horny". So if you own a horn you have unwittingly become a pervert because you are now "horny"

Bass:

The main body of the Symphonia is a 3M long bass horn (not to be confused with a transmission line) utilizing a full range Fostex to produce sound down to 32hz with no room gain. A basshorn is essential to match to the performance and speed of the midrange horn and tweeter horn. The speed and efficiency do not match well with large woofers no matter how much power you throw at them. Separate large active subs are common in most horn designs. Matching impedance is close to impossible without these major drawbacks. So why don't all horns come with basshorns? Horns themselves are already difficult to manufacture and produce so adding in a well designed basshorn only adds to the complexity and cost when you can easily add an active sub and call it a day.

Midrange:

The midrange horn is built from solid wood flared into a 360 bullet shape leveraging a 4 inch compression driver. The solid wood prevents any energy storage in the horn itself so you do not get any ringing or honking. Since there are no flat surfaces on the midrange horn the end result is zero diffraction and no coloration. Casting is much easier, cheaper and less time consuming, but you end up with thin and brittle horns with uneven material in the horn itself. The results of such mass produced design is colored "horny" sound.

Tweeter:

Using the finest ribbon available from Raal, the same housing techniques applied to midrange horn are also present in the tweeter bullet. While it would have been easier to use a compression tweeter, the ribbon was proven to be the superior choice. It would have been much easier to use a compression tweeter as no one building a horn uses ribbons, but a way was found after long R&D.

Crossover:

The Symphonia employs an external variable slope crossover with midrange adjustments from 1-3db to suit the room conditions for optimal sound. Suffice to say there is a lot of information in this alone so stating 500hz and 3k would not be accurate to explain the crossover points.

The Contendo Statement loudspeaker introduced in 2010 was designed to fix all the problems of horns, but in separates. Today we have the Symphonia which brings the entire package of the Contendo into a full range speaker that most homes would have the room to accommodate. We hope to use the Symphonia to make people believe in high fidelity again and turn the misconception of horns from negative to positive. This is the representation of the highest level of fidelity with limits that have yet to be found with this speaker.

I encourage any questions as I have invited the designer to be a resource for you to leverage. We will be ready to host a full system of Aries Cerat electronics and the Symphonia come March 1st 2016 in the Austin, TX area. I will also add the system to the virtual systems on AGON when it is all setup.

US reviewers are welcome to contact me via PM to arrange for private demonstration at our expense.

12523022_953540601391920_8502238250292237073_n.jpg

12540652_953540591391921_8984058999635341198_n.jpg

Amir and the Symphonia :)

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am sure that is against our Terms of Service somehow...

BTW, I got the Bach Toccata and played it on my system. No cigar. Could not repeat the experience I had in your suite. Hard to imagine it is the same CD you used.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Which version of the Toccata was this?

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
Which version of the Toccata was this?

Toccata And Fugue In D Minor, Bwv 565: Toccata And Fugue In D Minor, Bwv 565: Toccata
Johann Sebastian Bach

From the album: Classical Music - 50 Of The Best

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The Bach Toccata has been done and overdone a couple of thousand times - is this the best you have found?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Bonzo75, we need to get your comparative report on this system.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Thanks. I want to go to Cyprus, but require the whole weekend. That's a bit tough till later in the year

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
The Bach Toccata has been done and overdone a couple of thousand times - is this the best you have found?

Hi.I do not believe this the best version recording wise or music wise..It was just a version we had on the laptop library at the time.. which i personally like

Stavros

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com

You are actually closer. And to give you a little motivation there is one of the best BBQ joints in the world 10 minutes away with Beef ribs the size of your forearms

BBQ.JPG

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
You are actually closer. And to give you a little motivation there is one of the best BBQ joints in the world 10 minutes away with Beef ribs the size of your forearms

View attachment 25446

And as long as you wash them down with Diet Coke, you don't have to worry about the calories :)

Aries Cerat

Industry Expert
May 30, 2015
Tweeter machining on our 5-axis work station

Sanding

20150703_105116.jpg

Complete tweeter assembly

IMG_1584.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

tweeter's magnetic suspension

IMG_1585.JPG

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
And oh, good to see someone else with a shop full of dust after using their CNC machine! :) My last project was with MDF and man, there is not a crevice that is not full of that nasty dust.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing