Add the magic of Tubes to your Solid State Electronics

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, the video doesn't rise up to the title here but it is a fun watch and a data point on how to do this on the cheap:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
OK, the video doesn't rise up to the title here but it is a fun watch and a data point on how to do this on the cheap:

I made this mistake back in 1997 after reading this article:

http://www.stereophile.com/tubepreamps/873/#wymU7JiM6m0FckzF.97

I took it out of my system after discovering that letting the wax build in my ears was more effective. Still have it if anyone want's to buy it.

I guess they sold 50000 units, so unfortunately not everyone discovered my alternative!

Ha ha, this guy is great. Why isn't every reviewer like him?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Clever bit there in the footnote:

"Footnote 1: Actually, according to a friend who has measured the X-10D, it actually has 1dB of gain. This is enough to make A/B comparisons tricky in that the sound with the Musical Fidelity buffer is slightly louder than without, which will be perceived as "better dynamics," "more detail," etc.—John Atkinson"

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Clever bit there in the footnote:

"Footnote 1: Actually, according to a friend who has measured the X-10D, it actually has 1dB of gain. This is enough to make A/B comparisons tricky in that the sound with the Musical Fidelity buffer is slightly louder than without, which will be perceived as "better dynamics," "more detail," etc.—John Atkinson"

I knew about that 20 years ago as well and made sure I adjusted for it when doing A/B comparisons. It did soften things up. With nails on the chalkboard recordings, things were more pleasant. But details were lost as well. No free lunch. After a while I realized it was better without it. Then when I got a better Rega CD player, it slaughtered the sound.

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
At 1:42 in the clip, it says they got 120% sense of well-being...

+1dB is 125.89 %

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hehe :). We are talking about two different products though, one Mike used and the other, the reviewer.

I am fascinated by that research in Germany though saying tubes are more relaxing. Anyone has a link or title for it?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I am fascinated by that research in Germany though saying tubes are more relaxing. Anyone has a link or title for it?

Tubes are simply amplification devices, these kinds of generalizations aren't accurate.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
....and damned fine ones at that Dave.

Tom

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Tubes are simply amplification devices, these kinds of generalizations aren't accurate.
It is not a generalization. It says it came out of a study at Frankfurt University. I like to read that if anyone knows more about it.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It is not a generalization. It says it came out of a study at Frankfurt University. I like to read that if anyone knows more about it.

You really want to argue about what a generalization is, lol... "Tubes are more relaxing" is a generalization, sorry but it's true... by definition, with the dictionary as my source. Tubes can sound all sorts of ways, just like SS. My SET amp, because of the way I designed it, sounds a lot more like an SS amp than many SS amps. My tube preamp has ruler-flat FR and extremely low levels of distortion, it could easily be mistaken for SS. Components like VAC amps use pp and feedback, they don't sound anything like "tubes" either.

The "tube sound" is a stereotype based on the simplest, often poor-performing, tube circuits possible and is no more accurate than saying all transistors sound harsh and cause fatigue.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You really want to argue about what a generalization is, lol... "Tubes are more relaxing" is a generalization, sorry but it's true... by definition, with the dictionary as my source. Tubes can sound all sorts of ways, just like SS. My SET amp, because of the way I designed it, sounds a lot more like an SS amp than many SS amps. My tube preamp has ruler-flat FR and extremely low levels of distortion, it could easily be mistaken for SS. Components like VAC amps use pp and feedback, they don't sound anything like "tubes" either.

The "tube sound" is a stereotype based on the simplest, often poor-performing, tube circuits possible and is no more accurate than saying all transistors sound harsh and cause fatigue.
I am not saying a thing. The said study is referenced in the video and I was repeating it asking if anyone knows what that study was. Please watch the video. I was not agreeing with it, nor representing it as my views.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Amir- 14000+posts!...and mod duty.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I thought at first you said 14000 posts and still "muddy!" :)

I had over 19,000 posts on AVS before I got banned so I have a ways to go here to match that.

You got banned? Perhaps there's hope for us all ... :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You got banned? Perhaps there's hope for us all ... :D
I did. But for "spam," not the naughty stuff you guys do. :D They considered the links to my technical articles that were published in Widescreen Review Magazine on my company's web site to be "spam." They were not of course but that was their call and once they disinvited me, I left peacefully. Life has been much better since. :)

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I did. But for "spam,"

I tried, but all my years @AA and even to an extent here, no sanctions, no bans. Hey, not from a lack of trying ... lots of deletions tho, and one time I entered a dedicated Linn forum, and proceeded to talk smack about tune-dem. It was fun, and I got banned, still kinda feel bad about that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing