Nightbird, Eva Cassidy--4 Lps + 2 CD's + DVD

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I'm not aware of anyone ever buying Eva Cassidy for any other reason than musical merits, never sound quality.

+1

The Nightbird album is one of the most musically satisfying albums I own. Sound quality is patchy in parts - mainly because it was recorded on DAT and transferred to cassette tape. I'm not sure how it was mastered, but I'm sure that it was with a very light touch.

Turn the lights down, your favourite beverage in your hand, and you're transported in time and space to her presence.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I had the sitting in my CD rack for years and never played this album. Don't even know how I got it. The I ripped all my CDs and started zapping through some stuff I had not listened to before, and fell in love with the album.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
I have a rip of the old release and the download of the new one. The remaster moves some of the instruments around a bit in the sound field. Check out the differences in Autumn Leaves, which for my money, it the real gem in the album. Stunning rendition.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
There it is, the warm fuzzy of reassurance! I am holding you to it! :eek:
I too bought it because it was lovely music as I previewed it on Amazon/Youtube.

But no worries here anyway. To the extent you buy it and don't like it, we will hold you here, torture you until you say you do, and all will be well.

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
My LPs are on their way from the UK. I bought the Eva Cassidy LP box from the UK also - for some reason much cheaper there. Take advantage of the very cheap GB Pound - $1.42 as I write this. Larry

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Mike, the original cd sounds wonderful, if these LPs sound merely as good, considering the extra material from that night, they'll be of interest to me.

From my understanding, the "tape" was Cassette :eek: ...

a clip from Keith Grimes (guitar player) interview ...

"Some of the performances were recorded better than I remembered. Others, you couldn't really hear the vocals, they had been recorded just with my Walkman recorder. The best of them were from rehearsals. We would record directly onto a DAT [digital audio tape], then Chris would bang me off a cassette copy from the DAT. The original DATs, we used to record over! Everything that was used for the album was done in the studio, and had been on cassette tape. None of it was on multitrack, which means that you can't do anything about any little mistakes.

"Chris helped me transfer the best recordings from tape to CD. We sent a couple of CDs off to Bill Straw [at Blix Street Records]. I guess there's five of those songs on this new album, and he may wind up releasing some of the others later on. I think there are a few more things that people would enjoy hearing. Some of the songs that were really good were ones that had already been on an album in other versions."

Give me the original DAT or Cassette tapes!!

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
My copy arrived from "across the pond" and I watched the DVD last night an listened on head phones.
So far I like.
The video coverage is very poor, single camera behind the crowd back and forth and worst of all, little to no drum coverage.
But man they all have chops!

I should have my system out of boxes and spin the black licorice in a couple weeks for further evaluation.
On to the Cd's we go.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
After 4+ weeks of waiting mine finally arrived today.

Huge shout out to Gary and MikeL for this recommendation. I have Live at Blues Alley and it is a reference. This one night concert in one take is spectacular

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
On tidal
http://listen.tidal.com/album/53262836
I had an audiopal , who sadly passed away a month or 2 back
He had every type of high end equipment and tweak to reduce the sibilence of Evas voice on recordings like songbird , never managed to do so as its recorded like that , but that was his mission for the last 5 years of his life

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I got Yin Tan to make a SACD sampler for me many years ago.
I specifically selected Eva's Fields of Gold to be included.
It was hissy. Very hissy.
Later Yin told me the master was cassette tape....
Was it THAT cassette tape? And unadulterated?
This new reissue on vinyl or cd don't sound hissy at all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing