Nightbird, Eva Cassidy--4 Lps + 2 CD's + DVD

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
'Live at Blues Alley' by Eva Cassidy is one of my long term favorite recordings. for a few years it was a frequent listen and go to demo source, and Eva's voice has been one of the wonders of my musical experience.

a friend just recommended this new 4 Lp version of the recording. it's a U.K. pressing, and can only be found from the UK. I bought mine from Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015TOU93E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

it's the 'complete' 31 cut full recording; 12 from the Original 'Live at Blues Alley', 7 more that have been on other Eva albums, and 12 new never released cuts. and it seems the best mastering of this recording I have heard. it's inferred that this is an analog tape mastered recording in the liner notes, and this time it sounds that way too. quiet pressings, not compressed to my ears. like any live recording, it's got it's warts, but lots of reality along with it. since it's on 8 sides there is plenty of room for all the dynamics.

I've only listened to 3 sides of the 8 sides so far, but I'm impressed. I've not yet listened to the CD or watched the DVD. if you are into vinyl and love Eva then you got to get this one while you can. I bought 2 more copies of this once I heard how it sounds.

Nightbird.jpg

Last edited:

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
I bought the two disc cd version, from seeing amirs post in the music thread.

A voice for the ages and a band clearly having fun. Super smashing great.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I am not a bandwagon type, so you guys have better not have steered me wrong here or there will be punishment! :D:eek:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
MikeL

The price is for LP and CD and DVD.?

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
I am not a bandwagon type, so you guys have better not have steered me wrong here or there will be punishment! :D:eek:
Yes I use the bandwagon but only to show me what direction not to go in. This album is great, I hope it serves you well but not so well that it serves to dispel your prejudice and you end up hopping on bandwagons on a regular basis.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
'Live at Blues Alley' by Eva Cassidy is one of my long term favorite recordings. for a few years it was a frequent listen and go to demo source, and Eva's voice has been one of the wonders of my musical experience.

a friend just recommended this new 4 Lp version of the recording. it's a U.K. pressing, and can only be found from the UK. I bought mine from Amazon UK.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015TOU93E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

it's the 'complete' 31 cut full recording; 12 from the Original 'Live at Blues Alley', 7 more that have been on other Eva albums, and 12 new never released cuts. and it seems the best mastering of this recording I have heard. it's inferred that this is an analog tape mastered recording in the liner notes, and this time it sounds that way too. quiet pressings, not compressed to my ears. like any live recording, it's got it's warts, but lots of reality along with it. since it's on 8 sides there is plenty of room for all the dynamics.

I've only listened to 3 sides of the 8 sides so far, but I'm impressed. I've not yet listened to the CD or watched the DVD. if you are into vinyl and love Eva then you got to get this one while you can. I bought 2 more copies of this once I heard how it sounds.

Thanks for the head's up Mike. Ordered!

TBone

Nov 15, 2012

Mike, the original cd sounds wonderful, if these LPs sound merely as good, considering the extra material from that night, they'll be of interest to me.

it's inferred that this is an analog tape mastered recording in the liner notes, and this time it sounds that way too. quiet pressings, not compressed to my ears. like any live recording, it's got it's warts, but lots of reality along with it. since it's on 8 sides there is plenty of room for all the dynamics.

From my understanding, the "tape" was Cassette :eek: ...

a clip from Keith Grimes (guitar player) interview ...

"Some of the performances were recorded better than I remembered. Others, you couldn't really hear the vocals, they had been recorded just with my Walkman recorder. The best of them were from rehearsals. We would record directly onto a DAT [digital audio tape], then Chris would bang me off a cassette copy from the DAT. The original DATs, we used to record over! Everything that was used for the album was done in the studio, and had been on cassette tape. None of it was on multitrack, which means that you can't do anything about any little mistakes.

"Chris helped me transfer the best recordings from tape to CD. We sent a couple of CDs off to Bill Straw [at Blix Street Records]. I guess there's five of those songs on this new album, and he may wind up releasing some of the others later on. I think there are a few more things that people would enjoy hearing. Some of the songs that were really good were ones that had already been on an album in other versions."

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
MikeL

The price is for LP and CD and DVD.?

Yes, it is. Hence, excellent value for money.

I haven't watched the DVD yet, but I prefer the sound of the free included CD to the original "Live at Blues Alley" album.

If you liked this album, you should also get the Eva Cassidy Collection. The free 45rpm was probably my most-often played single during CES.

Eva Collection.jpg

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
If anyone buying the set wants to offload the DVD please let me know. I want to get just the DVD but it does not sell separately. I'll pay for it of course.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Yes I use the bandwagon but only to show me what direction not to go in. This album is great, I hope it serves you well but not so well that it serves to dispel your prejudice and you end up hopping on bandwagons on a regular basis.

Not likely to happen any time soon. Not a fan of mediocre music that sounds fantastic. A couple for fun, ok, but not a libraries worth.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Not likely to happen any time soon. Not a fan of mediocre music that sounds fantastic. A couple for fun, ok, but not a libraries worth.

I'm not aware of anyone ever buying Eva Cassidy for any other reason than musical merits, never sound quality.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing