Triton connection options and upgrade path

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
High everyone,

I am a happy owner of Triton V2 and a Sigma HC power cord. I would like to get your advice on the best connection configuration in my case and possible upgrade options.
I have 2 lines: one with 3 sockets, the other one with one socket. In addition to my audio gear, I have lots of video related staff including a TV set, an AV receiver, a subwoofer, blue ray and media players and a wifi router.
Currently, all my audio gear is on one line with 3 sockets, sources and pre-amp are connected through the Triton and power amplifiers directly into the sockets. The other line is for video gear and the router. They are all connected to one socket through a Furman distributer.
Is this the optimal connection configuration? Shall I try separating my power amplifier from the rest of the system? I can connect Triton to the line with one socket and connect Furman to Triton with all the video gear and the router attached. But in this case my router will be on the same line as my source components?
If I decide to buy another Shunyata product, shall it be a Typhoon or DPC-6? If I get a Typhoon, I can connect it to the line with 3 sockets and use other 2 for the amplifier. Or I can connect Typhoon to Triton.
Lots of options here :) Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
High everyone,

I am a happy owner of Triton V2 and a Sigma HC power cord. I would like to get your advice on the best connection configuration in my case and possible upgrade options.
I have 2 lines: one with 3 sockets, the other one with one socket. In addition to my audio gear, I have lots of video related staff including a TV set, an AV receiver, a subwoofer, blue ray and media players and a wifi router.
Currently, all my audio gear is on one line with 3 sockets, sources and pre-amp are connected through the Triton and power amplifiers directly into the sockets. The other line is for video gear and the router. They are all connected to one socket through a Furman distributer.
Is this the optimal connection configuration? Shall I try separating my power amplifier from the rest of the system? I can connect Triton to the line with one socket and connect Furman to Triton with all the video gear and the router attached. But in this case my router will be on the same line as my source components?
If I decide to buy another Shunyata product, shall it be a Typhoon or DPC-6? If I get a Typhoon, I can connect it to the line with 3 sockets and use other 2 for the amplifier. Or I can connect Typhoon to Triton.
Lots of options here :) Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

If I understand correctly, it looks like you have one dedicated line installed and one common 15A house circuit with three outlets? If so, you would be best served running the audio portion of your system on the single dedicated circuit/outlet through the Triton v2. For the Video and ancillary components, I would run those of the secondary line through an MPC 12 C or the DPC6. Both will fire-wall the noise those components generate and prevent that noise from bleeding back onto the house line and affecting other electronics. The Furman will not do that. Either of the two products will do an effective job of this, with he DPC 6 being higher performance, but limiting in terms of the number of outlets -- 6 versus 12. Never use two different power conditioners on the same line. All power conditioners have a parallel effect and combining different approaches will almost certainly degrade performance.

Feel free to contact us directly if you would like more detailed information regarding your electrical system and suggestions.

Bes regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
High Grant,
Thanks for the advice. I think that both lines are dedicated as both have a 16A switch on the wall. I did not install these lines especially for audio. It just happened, that when I renovated the apartment, in the area where my rack is the electrician put 3 sockets on one line and 1 socket on another line.
So my question was really about some of the options I have:
1. Use one line for audio related components and the other line for video ones and the router (current setup)
2. Use one line for the power amplifier and the other line for the rest of the gear
3. Use 1 line for the router, media player, music server and other computer related gear and the other line for the rest of the stuff.

So, basically, if you have just 2 lines, audio and video gear, the router and one Triton, what is the best way to connect everything.

Thanks.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
High Grant,
Thanks for the advice. I think that both lines are dedicated as both have a 16A switch on the wall. I did not install these lines especially for audio. It just happened, that when I renovated the apartment, in the area where my rack is the electrician put 3 sockets on one line and 1 socket on another line.
So my question was really about some of the options I have:
1. Use one line for audio related components and the other line for video ones and the router (current setup)
2. Use one line for the power amplifier and the other line for the rest of the gear
3. Use 1 line for the router, media player, music server and other computer related gear and the other line for the rest of the stuff.

So, basically, if you have just 2 lines, audio and video gear, the router and one Triton, what is the best way to connect everything.

Thanks.

By definition, a dedicated line is represented by a single circuit serving a single outlet, with no branches or breaks. Breakers that serve multiple 'branched' lines are what is common in homes and apartments and will not perform as well with audio-related playback as a single-breaker-single outlet set up. This has to do with the way lines are branched and the breaks in the line that cause a drop in peak-current transfer.

As I said above, I would put your audio related components on the dedicated (single outlet) line--ie amp, pre-amp etc all through the Triton v2. The other line/s should be used for your video/router (your current set up). If you mixed and matched, or put just the amp on its own line, you may get ground-loop hum. I do recommend comparing something like an MPC 12 C to your current Furman with all the video and computer gear.

Best regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
By definition, a dedicated line is represented by a single circuit serving a single outlet, with no branches or breaks.
Best regards,
Grant
Shunyata Research
While that my be your definition of 'dedicated line' there is no NEC definition like that. The NEC meaning of 'dedicated' is whatever is assigned to it in that particular situation.
Nor do I see any definition in the Middle Atlantic white paper:
'Integrating Electronic Equipment and Power into Rack Enclosures'

So I would think that in an audio power system a dedicated line could have as many junctions and outlets as are needed to connect all the dedicated equipment. While maintaining control that nothing else is connected to the line.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
While that my be your definition of 'dedicated line' there is no NEC definition like that. The NEC meaning of 'dedicated' is whatever is assigned to it in that particular situation.
Nor do I see any definition in the Middle Atlantic white paper:
'Integrating Electronic Equipment and Power into Rack Enclosures'

So I would think that in an audio power system a dedicated line could have as many junctions and outlets as are needed to connect all the dedicated equipment. While maintaining control that nothing else is connected to the line.

I'll rephrase. The broad definition in our industry related to the term, "dedicated line" relates to a non-branched circuit feeding a single outlet at the wall-- intended to achieve optimum peak-current transfer, versus the multi-outlet branched 15A circuit found in most homes. Optimally, we recommend over-rating the breaker to 20A and the wire to 10-12 awg. over the common 15A and 14awg. wire. I did not intend to infer that this was an NEC or other governmental agency's definition.

Regardless, based on our experiences and measurements, my recommendation stands.

Regards,

Grant
Shunyata Research

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Once again, that may be your brand's definition, but it's not the industries.
Do you have any references from experts like:
Keith Armstrong
Jim Brown
Stephen Lampen
Ralph Morrison
Neil Muncy (RIP)
Mike Holt
Henry Ott

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Keith Armstrong
Jim Brown
Stephen Lampen
Ralph Morrison
Neil Muncy (RIP)
Mike Holt
Henry Ott

I was answering a customer question with information related to his questions and yes, from our point of view, which is how the questions were posed. I was not looking to argue fine points of articulation or cite codes or experts regarding what is, or is not a dedicated line according to your sources. If it helps lessen your concern, I am happy to amend the first sentence of my original response to: "By our definition", a dedicated line should be a single-breaker serving a single outlet.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Keith Armstrong
Jim Brown
Stephen Lampen
Ralph Morrison
Neil Muncy (RIP)
Mike Holt
Henry Ott

Are you really as dense as your posts indicate? In the audio world a dedicated line is a single line from the breaker to a single outlet. Why are you trolling and trying to start an argument?

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I think I need to clarify. Both my lines are compromised, when I said that one line has a single outlet, I meant a single outlet near my rack,it has another outlet on the other side of the room, which I normally keep empty. Anyway, I will follow Grant's advice and will keep all my audio gear on one line and all video staff on the other one.
Still have couple of questions:
1. Shall I plug in the power amplifier in the Triton or directly to the wall? My amplifier is an 8 watt per channel SET (Border Patrol). It looks like it does not need lots of current, but maybe it does? So far, I tried both ways, but cannot decide which sounds better.
2. If I go for another Shunyata product, should it be a DPC-6 or a Typhoon? All my audio gear has linear PS including the music server. Will I benefit from a DPC-6 in this case?

Thanks.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
I was answering a customer question with information related to his questions and yes, from our point of view, which is how the questions were posed. I was not looking to argue fine points of articulation or cite codes or experts regarding what is, or is not a dedicated line according to your sources. If it helps lessen your concern, I am happy to amend the first sentence of my original response to: "By our definition", a dedicated line should be a single-breaker serving a single outlet.
Thank you for clarifying that it's your company's 'point of view'.

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Are you really as dense as your posts indicate?
Some people call me all kinds of things, but 'dense' is not on the list.

In the audio world a dedicated line is a single line from the breaker to a single outlet.
That statement is incorrect.

Why are you trolling and trying to start an argument?
I'm not trolling.
I'm not trying to start an argument.
In my post #7, I gave GrantS a way to correct his statement, which he did in post #8.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
I think I need to clarify. Both my lines are compromised, when I said that one line has a single outlet, I meant a single outlet near my rack,it has another outlet on the other side of the room, which I normally keep empty. Anyway, I will follow Grant's advice and will keep all my audio gear on one line and all video staff on the other one.
Still have couple of questions:
1. Shall I plug in the power amplifier in the Triton or directly to the wall? My amplifier is an 8 watt per channel SET (Border Patrol). It looks like it does not need lots of current, but maybe it does? So far, I tried both ways, but cannot decide which sounds better.
2. If I go for another Shunyata product, should it be a DPC-6 or a Typhoon? All my audio gear has linear PS including the music server. Will I benefit from a DPC-6 in this case?

Thanks.

I would be happy to answer your questions. If you have more inquiries, please e-mail them to our customer service or to me directly to grant@shunyata.com. This makes questions easier to answer without having to re-qualify language or satisfy other readers issues.

In your application, the power amp should plug into the Triton v2 for best performance. I would _not_ add a Typhon, unless you can gain easy access for an extended trial. In your case, I would look into an MPC 12 C (computer version) first. I would plug the router and video components into the computer section and any other linear PS components into the audio-section. The DPC 6 is twice the price, and really is only for the computer front end of a music system, or an all video or digital-signal output components.

I hope this is of some help. Please e-mail with further inquiry. I will be traveling out of country this week.

Regards,

Grant

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I can certainly contact you directly, although I think that if I post my questions here, other users can benefit from your answers or may have a useful recommendation for me based on their experience.
I do not care much about video performance, so spending money on a better distributor for video gear is not an option. And I do not see a European version of MPC-12C, there is EU7, but as I understand, it does not offer the same level of power conditioning as MPC-12.
Interesting comment about Typhoon. I thought that plugging Typhoon into Triton should always yield an increased performance. Maybe others can comment on the use of a Typhoon.

GrantS

Industry Expert
Oct 23, 2013
Yes, the Typhon offers improved performance and in many cases the improvement is quite dramatic. My caution relates to the cost of the unit, versus spending the money on good power-distribution for the other half of your system. If the video portion of your system is not of critical importance, then you should seek evaluation access to a Hydra Typhon. That would provide an obvious upgrade to the audio portion of your system.

Regards,

Grant

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Grant, thank you. This is very helpful.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Today I did some extensive testing with plugging the power amplifier PSUs into Triton vs plugging them directly into the wall. The important detail is when the PSUs are plugged directly to the sockets, these sockets are on the same line, since I use only one line for my all audio gear.

Well, I can't decide which option is better:( Playing music with the PSUs connected to Triton sounds cleaner, less noisy, but more polite. It looks that some dynamics is lost this way. For now I left the amplifier plugged directly into the wall.

Maybe other users with a single line and a Triton can comment? What is your experience?

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Getting back to 'dedicated lines'.
In the code book, dedicated space & dedicated line have something to do with safety. They don't want a failed vending machine to take out the fire alarm system.

But in audio systems 'dedicated line' can mean whatever we want. I hope that can all agree that only our audio (& video) equipment is connected to the audio dedicated line.

In a small hi-fi set with all the equipment in one rack or cabinet, then there should be only one outlet.
In a hi-fi or A/V with powered speakers or with the amps near the speakers then more outlets will be needed.
In a recording studio or large home theater, more than one 20 Amp circuit may be needed. In these case the dedicated line will be a larger circuit with a sub-panel near the room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing