Recent Tube Convert

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I just traded in my Pass Labs INT-150 for a PrimaLuna Premium Dialogue HP (Really, couldn't they have come up with a snappier name?) and I LOVE it! It's so much richer and simply more realistic sounding compared to the Pass. It can use EL34 (which is the stock tube), KT 88/120, or KT150 tubes. What differences in sound would I likely notice among those tubes? Thank you.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
When I listened to this amp driving Sonus Faber Amati Futuras, the KT150's in triode mode simply did everything better than the alternatives. 2 other listeners felt the same way. Different speakers might lead to different opinions, though.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Don't forget that all these tubes can have slightly different characteristics depending on whether you choose triode vs. ultralinear (pentode) operation. One advantage of the KT 150's is they offer a bit more power if you end up preferring triode mode.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Listening to my DIY Single-Ended Triode Tube amp with KT-88s as well.

Enjoying it a lot.

YashN

Jun 28, 2015
Canada
Don't forget that all these tubes can have slightly different characteristics depending on whether you choose triode vs. ultralinear (pentode) operation. One advantage of the KT 150's is they offer a bit more power if you end up preferring triode mode.

In my SET Amp, I have installed KT-88s and apparently if I configure it in ultra-linear mode, I can get more output power.

Jond

Oct 31, 2015
I have a push-pull EL34 amp and greatly enjoy the Genalex Gold Lion KT77 in my amp. I've no experience with KT150's for comparison however.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
I just traded in my Pass Labs INT-150 for a PrimaLuna Premium Dialogue HP (Really, couldn't they have come up with a snappier name?) and I LOVE it! It's so much richer and simply more realistic sounding compared to the Pass. It can use EL34 (which is the stock tube), KT 88/120, or KT150 tubes. What differences in sound would I likely notice among those tubes? Thank you.

I believe that amp also allows 6L6gc or KT66 (check the manual to be sure). This is a more linear, accurate sound than EL34 or KT88, but still with that great tube bloom in the midrange. It might be the sound you are looking for. I do a lot of output tube rolling in my Rogue (which also takes most output tubes), but seem to be spending more time listening to these types (particularly the NOS Russian 6P3S-E) these days.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 258

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Thanks, I'll look into them I've read good reviews of Kt120 tubes--every tried them?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I think the Primaluna is a PP (push-pull) amp, with those I like KT88/UL, though I have not tried the KT150s. For a SET amp I think EL34 in triode is the way to go, and I agree the GL KT77 are excellent, although any new production tube is not built as well as NOS as far as reliability, IME...

It is hard to beat a good tube amp when paired with the right speakers!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing