Location of External Pre

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
I have my studer on horizontal position and Repro just ahead of the Studer connected to a short interconnect

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Jay:

You can restore the A810 into the portable configuration first and put it back into the bottom console. Then remove the meterbridge case and install the Tube Repro in its place. The Tube repro and Studer meterbridge should be 19" standard rack mounting configuration.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
audio jewelry it's not!

the King Cello is 2 small unpretentious rectangular aluminum boxes.

the Studer A-820 is on the Studer stand.

my King Cello sits next to my A-820 on a small stand. the head unit on top, the power supply sitting on the floor underneath. i was told to keep the two boxes separated. i have some isolation footers, A10-U8's, under the head unit, and then large Walker spikes under the power supply with heavy Walker lead-filled pucks on top of the power supply as it hums unless it is mass loaded.

Ki wired a switch off the heads so the wires snake between the reels over the back then over to the K-C.

i have an 8m set of 'zeel' BNC interconnects running between my darTZeel pre and the KC. it's tucked into the seam of my wood floor and carpet in front of my speakers.

not the most elegant of installs; but unsurpassed in performance.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Jay, sorry how do u post photos?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike where are the pic's???

Jay

here ya go! (please excuse my lame photographic skills).

the line up....

the King-Cello. the top box is the repro, the bottom the power supply. sitting in front of the top box is a Wave Kinetics A10-U8 decoupling footer. there are 4 under the head unit. i added the smaller Walker lead filled pucks to get it to 'hook up' better with the footers.

under the power supply are the large Walker brass spikes, and on top are the large Walker lead-filled pucks that dampen the reasonance from the box.

the stand is a $25 plant stand i had sitting around that fit in the space.

it sounds wonderful.

the head switch on the A820. you can see the 'Ki Choi super-nuclear' cable snakeing between the reels over the back of the Studer....

the 8 meter BNC 'Zeel' cable tucked into the seam between the hardwood and carpet. this gets rid of the damn XLR's laying across my carpet.....and sounds much better too.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Jay, sorry how do u post photos?

i cut and pasted this from the FAQ for the forum.

How do I add an image to a post?

If you have uploaded an image as an attachment, you can click the arrow next to the 'Attachment Icon' and select it from the list. This will be inserted into your post and can be located where you want it displayed.

To include an image that is not uploaded as an attachment and is located on another website, you can do so by copying the full URL to the image, (not the page on which the image is located), and either pressing the 'Insert Image' icon or by typing before the URL and after it, ensuring that you do not have any spaces before or after the URL of the image. You can insert pictures from your albums (?) in this way too.

Last edited:

rrr

May 17, 2010
I had set up my RTR with two preamps, a King and a Manley. The Manley was very sensitive to where the head portion was located, it it was too close to any of the power supplies it produced a hum. The King did not have that issue. I had to redistribute all my equipment to keep the Manley from humming.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Just Outside New Orleans, La.
here ya go! (please excuse my lame photographic skills).

the line up....

the King-Cello. the top box is the repro, the bottom the power supply. sitting in front of the top box is a Wave Kinetics A10-U8 decoupling footer. there are 4 under the head unit. i added the smaller Walker lead filled pucks to get it to 'hook up' better with the footers.

under the power supply are the large Walker brass spikes, and on top are the large Walker lead-filled pucks that dampen the reasonance from the box.

the stand is a $25 plant stand i had sitting around that fit in the space.

it sounds wonderful.

the head switch on the A820. you can see the 'Ki Choi super-nuclear' cable snakeing between the reels over the back of the Studer....

the 8 meter BNC 'Zeel' cable tucked into the seam between the hardwood and carpet. this gets rid of the damn XLR's laying across my carpet.....and sounds much better too.

Thanks Mike,
Here are a few pic's of what John did to my Studer, more pic's to follow.

Jay

Attachments

• Cello N Studer Wi&.jpg
    Cello N Studer Wi&.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 307
  • Cello N Studer Wi&.jpg
    Cello N Studer Wi&.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 394
  • Cello N Studer Wi&.jpg
    Cello N Studer Wi&.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 430
  • Cello N Studer Wi&.jpg
    Cello N Studer Wi&.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 330
  • Cello N Studer Wi&.jpg
    Cello N Studer Wi&.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 376

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Mike, Ki, and Charlie,

Thanks for your collective effort! Now, I possess a better concept of what would be necessry to wire directly to an outboard preamp. :eek:

Ki, would it be feasible to immediately direct the wire beneath the headblock and through the chasis? I think there is some room down there - at least, in the bowels of the A820.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Wow, Jay...that's a really clean install :cool: John French installed 318-series repro and record heads on my 1/2" and 1/4" head assemblies, recently, that also required some modification to the preamp. He is meticulous :D:

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Hi Sam,
Yes he is very good at what he does probably the best, at least that I know. He did an excellent job on my headblock all I had to do was run the wire in my deck an make the connection. My friend Brad of did that work for me, took him about 15 min. Now I have the option of using the Studer electronics or the Tube Repro from Bottlehead.

Jay

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi Sam,
Yes he is very good at what he does probably the best, at least that I know. He did an excellent job on my headblock all I had to do was run the wire in my deck an make the connection. My friend Brad of did that work for me, took him about 15 min. Now I have the option of using the Studer electronics or the Tube Repro from Bottlehead.

Jay

There you have it! The option of switching between electronics. What series heads are you running on your Studer...did you have to make any adjustments/modifications for the heads to remain compatible with either electronics? Thanks.

jcmusic

May 20, 2010
Here is what I did for my Studer and Otari decks, a simple shelf that took about 15 min. to cut out. A couple coats of paint and there you have it!!!

Jay

Attachments

• Studer Shelf Mod .jpg
    Studer Shelf Mod .jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 368
  • Studer Shelf Mod .jpg
    Studer Shelf Mod .jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 290
  • Studer Shelf Mod .jpg
    Studer Shelf Mod .jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Here is what I did for my Studer and Otari decks, a simple shelf that took about 15 min. to cut out. A couple coats of paint and there you have it!!!

Jay

A picture can convey so much...thanks, Jay :cool:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My switch for my Studer A810 was built by a fellow here in the SF Bay Area referred to me by Arthur Kelm here on our forum. The switch was made with an internal circuit developed by this fellow that is mounted inside the top of the machine. He also builds repro head amps and is working on one for me that promises to be quite spectacular. He is building 3-4 of these at the present time and anyone wanting information can PM me for details. It will be solid state with a separate outboard power supply like the CK headamp. I also saw some work this fellow did for fellow member astrotoy here and it was remarkable. So for those of you with R2R and interested in yet another option for a head amp, please contact me by PM

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing