Audioquest HDMI cables

WELquest

Industry Expert
Jan 30, 2016
it was fun while it lasted

Hi Amir,

Thanks for your recent comment, very much appreciated.

Despite the heckling by a very small number of forum members, I have posted so many words because I appreciate the intent of the forum. I completely respect and share the goal of working to discover the truth. I believe that everything can be measured, once we know what and how to measure, and use or develop the necessary test gear.

The Japanese metal supplier from whom I first bought 6N copper, sold 8N copper under a retail brand name, and sold this copper to a European cable company as 8N copper -- but when I asked about this material, the company explained that they didn't have, that no one had the ability to measure better than 6N. I appreciated the core company's honesty, and I never claimed more than could actually be measured.

I think my time in this context is now over. I know it's a measurement forum, and so my comments and answers weren't likely to be accepted or thought useful -- I hope that some of the silent majority might have been productively stimulated, not to some religious conversion but to accepting the challenge to learn how to measure what is so easily heard by the naive, those without expectation bias one way or the other.

As I've written, I was a history major who's picked up a few things along the way. I came to accept decades ago that my seeming advantage relative to most of the engineers who design audio cables, is that I never knew enough to then misapply that knowledge. I could only feel my way around in the dark, almost exclusively being provoked by fortunate accidents, by totally blind tests in as much as I was surprised by and forced to acknowledge differences when none were anticipated.

Almost every story I tell behind my discovery of geometry in speaker cables, or the importance of the hardness of the insulation on a stranded speaker wire conductor, or metal quality, or the story I told on this forum of my having to accept directionality, were ideal fully blind tests that happened by accident. I never postulated that something should sound different, much less then sold the result to myself, as is so unfortunately common with many audio engineers. My experience is that it's often the engineers who are the most likely to fall in love with a should-be-true I-figured-it-out bias.

If the test equipment exists to take maybe a 1000ft, or 10K foot long drawn conductor, and measure its impedance at GHz frequencies, we expect that a very small difference in one direction vs. the other will be measurable. A truly minuscule difference, any difference, would still force picked-up energy to follow the rules, to follow the path of least resistance.

As for arguments that such noise is of such low amplitude that it's many orders of magnitude below the assumed noise floor, that's not a pertinent point as humans can't hear at GHz anyway. The postulation is that this energy causes various forms of misbehavior at the moderate frequencies of digital audio, and in analog circuits -- real TIM, not the absurdly limited standardized specifications for measuring TIM in an audio circuit, is the primary presumed distortion mechanism.

If those willing to investigate can prove that this is not the mechanism, then just as with any other theory that proves invalid, the question remains. If our hypothesis proves wrong, it won't have any effect on my need to cope as best I can with evident distortion in the output -- though it will come as a surprise to Garth Powell, AQ's brilliant ex-Furman filter designer, whose insights helped make Gordon Rankin's JitterBug design measurably and audibly more effective. Now there's an AQ product which makes easy to measure differences between input and output, (just takes a couple dozen kilobucks of specialized test gear), whether or not the investigator agrees with the efficacy of using the product.

So I leave, hoping that the gauntlet I tried to throw down will encourage the scientists, the ones who want to learn, to ignore those who only want to protect what they think they know, and to please help learn how to measure, or develop the not yet manufactured test gear, or maybe not yet invented, or which is maybe already a standard part of JPL's tool kit but outsiders don't know. It was JPL that invented the technique for permanently forming dielectric (possible for caps, not for cable) that was crucial to the success of the Apollo missions, and which is a significant contributor to the quality and the performance of AQ's power filters.

Apollo was so long ago that the Mil Spec. parts which are based on that knowledge, are now tested by people who don't understand what they are testing for, and so have developed bogus but easier tests, resulting in parts that don't meet the standards set in the '60's. Much knowledge and perspective is always at risk -- even as an extreme optimist, I often think entropy has the advantage.

Au revoir, more likely, adieu, Bill

esldude

If those willing to investigate can prove that this is not the mechanism, then just as with any other theory that proves invalid, the question remains. If our hypothesis proves wrong, it won't have any effect on my need to cope as best I can with evident distortion in the output -- though it will come as a surprise to Garth Powell, AQ's brilliant ex-Furman filter designer, whose insights helped make Gordon Rankin's JitterBug design measurably and audibly more effective. Now there's an AQ product which makes easy to measure differences between input and output, (just takes a couple dozen kilobucks of specialized test gear), whether or not the investigator agrees with the efficacy of using the product.

I suppose you missed this thread or maybe you would like to reply to it before bowing out.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...t-Jitterbug-and-Uptone-Regen-USB-Conditioners

I agree that it is amazing what one can accomplish in the audio world when one is not hampered by knowledge, experience and education in electronics or closely related science and engineering disciplines.

WELquest

Industry Expert
Jan 30, 2016
I suppose you missed this thread or maybe you would like to reply to it before bowing out.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...t-Jitterbug-and-Uptone-Regen-USB-Conditioners

I agree that it is amazing what one can accomplish in the audio world when one is not hampered by knowledge, experience and education in electronics or closely related science and engineering disciplines.

I saw it -- but I'm not competent in that world.

As much as I appreciate Amir's honest efforts, I believe testing only up to 130KHz reveals a lack of understanding of the problem or the product. General knowledge is a wonderful thing, but not when it gets in the way of appreciating specialized knowledge.

Not everyone needs better than MP3 or any of the differences that motivate some others. There's no harm in that.

esldude

I saw it -- but I'm not competent in that world.

As much as I appreciate Amir's honest efforts, I believe testing only up to 130KHz reveals a lack of understanding of the problem or the product. General knowledge is a wonderful thing, but not when it gets in the way of appreciating specialized knowledge.

Not everyone needs better than MP3 or any of the differences that motivate some others. There's no harm in that.

So at every turn, at every question involving more than just listening you say you don't have any knowledge or competence. Other than the knowledge as in this instance to say what Amir found was not enough to show the truth. Cute that. Self affirming even. Nice way to avoid any discussion.

Last edited:

jvrestore

Apr 28, 2013
My aim is data. That is always my goal/target/whatever.

As far as I'm concerned I'm not even attempting to hang anyone out to dry. Mr Lowe is doing that all by himself by not presenting a single shred of measurement.

Not a cascade plot, not a nulling test, not a polar response plot, not any listener based evaluations (all the while de-crying them with out any citations etc).

I get the difficulty trying to defend the indefensible. Even my hats off for posting as much as he has posted. But it's 100% conjecture outside of the extrusion and annealing processes he has described.

So Mark, still beating the same old dead horse I see.

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
So Mark, still beating the same old dead horse I see.

Just another arrow (bookmark) in the quiver. I've never seen someone type so much and not really participate and answer any questions about their product.

The take away is Mr. Lowe can't even hear the difference in the product he is selling.

timc166293

Feb 3, 2016
Agreed!

- No data
- No testing. DBT would sell more products! Why not do it???
- All the AQ employees failed the listening test a year ago.

Now they only can say trust their ears.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
No one is saying that dealers are evil for charging the high mark-ups for cable. Margins for many things found in A/V stores are very narrow. Premium cable is a money-maker, and the more premium, the more it makes. A business' purpose is to make money, so this doesn't speak to the ethics of the business, only to the real value of the product. In any case, it appears that you're making the oldest audiophile argument -- you're not denying the measurements, you're just saying that the difference you hear is in something that is, as of yet, unmeasurable, and you're not verifying "what you hear" with any kind of blind listening to eliminate the very high probability of expectation bias. So there's really not much to discuss.

Tim

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
As I've written, I was a history major who's picked up a few things along the way. I came to accept decades ago that my seeming advantage relative to most of the engineers who design audio cables, is that I never knew enough to then misapply that knowledge. I could only feel my way around in the dark, almost exclusively being provoked by fortunate accidents, by totally blind tests in as much as I was surprised by and forced to acknowledge differences when none were anticipated.

Almost every story I tell behind my discovery of geometry in speaker cables, or the importance of the hardness of the insulation on a stranded speaker wire conductor, or metal quality, or the story I told on this forum of my having to accept directionality, were ideal fully blind tests that happened by accident. I never postulated that something should sound different, much less then sold the result to myself, as is so unfortunately common with many audio engineers. My experience is that it's often the engineers who are the most likely to fall in love with a should-be-true I-figured-it-out bias.

On the other hand, a lot of us appreciate true engineers and true, solid and verifiable engineering; I hope you have NO problem with that. I personally have no patience with accidental engineering, of which I see a lot in various products in high end audio. Thankfully, there are a few quite competent engineers, who also apparently have a good ear, and produce excellent, out of the ordinary products, partially based on true science and verified by ear.

If the test equipment exists to take maybe a 1000ft, or 10K foot long drawn conductor, and measure its impedance at GHz frequencies, we expect that a very small difference in one direction vs. the other will be measurable. A truly minuscule difference, any difference, would still force picked-up energy to follow the rules, to follow the path of least resistance.

Questions:

a) DOES the equipment exist, and what are the measurements and cable lengths it measured

b) you expect an impedance difference "will be measurable", but is it, and what are the actual impedances measured. This, and prior comments which I quoted before (e.g. "impedance at very high EMI frequencies is incrementally different in one direction vs. the other") imply that the impedance of a cable at those frequencies is not the textbook sqrt(L/C), but something else that must factor in directionality of the conductor; this is hard to swallow without any hard measurement data.

c) If this means directionality is only measured and measurable at such extra-ordinary lengths and it amounts to "minuscule differences", then what about typical lengths of 3-10ft that we use. The wording raises a lot of doubts about actual alleged impedance differences at common lengths. Also, you mentioned a couple of times that this directionality is audible to you, so the next question is, did you hear it with cable lengths in the thousands of feet, or the common lengths that we use. Or do you simply believe the wire manufacturers you have done business with who *claim* such impedance differences do exist.

As for arguments that such noise is of such low amplitude that it's many orders of magnitude below the assumed noise floor, that's not a pertinent point as humans can't hear at GHz anyway. The postulation is that this energy causes various forms of misbehavior at the moderate frequencies of digital audio, and in analog circuits -- real TIM, not the absurdly limited standardized specifications for measuring TIM in an audio circuit, is the primary presumed distortion mechanism.

Yes, it might not really matter that "such noise" might be below audible floor (because likely it will be amplified), but below a certain level its effect on the circuits and sound must be irrelevant and far lower than anything else going on in those circuits. So the question is, what's the actual noise level measured, is it as Amir said -165dB, and has anyone measured TIM variations in various equipment (and which?) when conductors are connected one way vs the other. I hope the answer is not directionality was audible and measurable with a boombox; rather, we want to know which *high end* equipment enables one to hear such differences in conductor directionality. On the other hand, you did use the word "postulation", which seems to indicate there are no real measurements of these directionality effects...

Thanks

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Amir,

It is my pleasure Bill. We could not have thrown you in a more difficult situation. While members are rightly expressing dissatisfaction lack of measurement data and such, I for one am judging your attitude as a principal of the company choosing to participate in this manner. And for that, I applaud you. No one other manufacturer would have done what you have.

I hope to see you in the rest of the forum where such strict rules of conduct is not required and subjective impressions are valued a lot more.

Finally, I have tried to characterize effects of cables in the past and spent some time on doing so with Transparent Audio. We even went as far as performing spice (electronic) simulations and such. I plan to do some testing in the future on power cables.

Don Hills

Jun 20, 2013
Wellington, New Zealand
... I hope to see you in the rest of the forum where such strict rules of conduct is not required and subjective impressions are valued a lot more.

Indeed. Bill should post more where his target market is. It's been an education having him here though, being asked the "hard questions".

... We even went as far as performing spice (electronic) simulations and such. ...

You do have to make sure that the Spice models you use include the parameters for the effects under investigation. As a simplistic example, cable models should include dielectic absorption as well as L, C and R.

Ethan Winer

Banned
Jul 8, 2010
New Milford, CT
This will be a first for any forum but I feel I need to ask: Could Mr. Low please be required to provide actual data, peer reviewed journals, or independently re-produced results? Barring that posts moderated?

I'll mostly stay out of this, but it's useful to point out that the Hydrogen Audio forum has exactly that requirement. If you make a claim about superior audio quality etc, you better be able to back it up with hard objective evidence. See Item #8 here:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=3974

--Ethan

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I'll mostly stay out of this, but it's useful to point out that the Hydrogen Audio forum has exactly that requirement. If you make a claim about superior audio quality etc, you better be able to back it up with hard objective evidence. See Item #8 here:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=3974

--Ethan

I read number 8 in their TOS. They don't seem to accept objective measurements either! It says that waveform comparison are not acceptable proof. Its all ABX testing for them.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I guess it's easier to lie and say you did a proper ABX test and got a statistically significant result than it is to post a graph and some pictures.
I did that too but then get accused of being a liar. Call was made to videotape myself with an expert witness present! I kid you not. There are a few smart people there but lost in a sea of belligerent posters.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hi Amir,

Despite the heckling by a very small number of forum members, I have posted so many words because I appreciate the intent of the forum. I completely respect and share the goal of working to discover the truth. I believe that everything can be measured, once we know what and how to measure, and use or develop the necessary test gear.

The Japanese metal supplier from whom I first bought 6N copper, sold 8N copper under a retail brand name, and sold this copper to a European cable company as 8N copper -- but when I asked about this material, the company explained that they didn't have, that no one had the ability to measure better than 6N. I appreciated the core company's honesty, and I never claimed more than could actually be measured.

I think my time in this context is now over. I know it's a measurement forum, and so my comments and answers weren't likely to be accepted or thought useful -- I hope that some of the silent majority might have been productively stimulated, not to some religious conversion but to accepting the challenge to learn how to measure what is so easily heard by the naive, those without expectation bias one way or the other.

So I leave, hoping that the gauntlet I tried to throw down will encourage the scientists, the ones who want to learn, to ignore those who only want to protect what they think they know, and to please help learn how to measure, or develop the not yet manufactured test gear, or maybe not yet invented, or which is maybe already a standard part of JPL's tool kit but outsiders don't know. It was JPL that invented the technique for permanently forming dielectric (possible for caps, not for cable) that was crucial to the success of the Apollo missions, and which is a significant contributor to the quality and the performance of AQ's power filters.

Apollo was so long ago that the Mil Spec. parts which are based on that knowledge, are now tested by people who don't understand what they are testing for, and so have developed bogus but easier tests, resulting in parts that don't meet the standards set in the '60's. Much knowledge and perspective is always at risk -- even as an extreme optimist, I often think entropy has the advantage.

Au revoir, more likely, adieu, Bill

Hi Mr. Bill,

I've just read the above now, and was/am interested in your evaluation/analysis philosophy and scientific methods.

I would love to learn more from you please sir, so "au revoir" is much better than "adieu". Rise above the interference, above the transmission sound waves and please stand your grounds so that people like I can benefit from your teachings.

Sincerely & cheers,
Bob

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
I did that too but then get accused of being a liar. Call was made to videotape myself with an expert witness present! I kid you not. There are a few smart people there but lost in a sea of belligerent posters.
What's the difference between Religious fundamentalist and audiophiles? .....

No really.., I can't tell the difference! :D

Can we water board them? ... I don't see why not?

You Americans can do the dirty work I will just watch and afterwards pretend I was not there cheering you on...

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello WELquest, or should I say Bill...? Nice to hear from you sir. Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tom and I have through the years used many, many of your products. One of them is still in my rig and has been for quite some time. I would just like to take the time out of my day to thank you for joining in on the conversations of this forum. You have offered some information that isn't readily available to most folks with the click of a button. For that, I thank you. It is much appreciated.

I do have some questions for you, if you would not mind answering them. However, they are not about HDMI cables (which is the topic of this thread obviously).

I would just like to point out that I admire your responses given the atmosphere that you have been presented and that I personally look forward to speaking with you about other topics concerning your products.

Tom

WELquest

Industry Expert
Jan 30, 2016
Hi Mr. Bill,

I've just read the above now, and was/am interested in your evaluation/analysis philosophy and scientific methods.

I would love to learn more from you please sir, so "au revoir" is much better than "adieu". Rise above the interference, above the transmission sound waves and please stand your grounds so that people like I can benefit from your teachings.

Sincerely & cheers,
Bob

Thank you very much Bob!

I don't want to dishonor the dedicated nature of this forum, though despite what a few think, I fully share the desire to be able to measure everything.

Depending on what you are curious about, please send me a private message -- or post a question which you think I should answer on this forum, and use a private message to alert me to your post.

Best wishes, Bill

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing