Audioquest HDMI cables

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
we need to understand what's going on in the brain when you swap cables out etc . You can't rely on humans interpretation of what they see or hear.

This is where properly designed, bias controlled, testing comes into play. It attempts to address your very good point.

The point being is since the brain knows that a cable has been swapped out cognitive bias is present and pollutes the results.

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
Hi

Pause a disc or whatever , take a pix of screen with super duper HDMI cable ... then remove super-duper, put no-duper cable take another picture of screen. Send Pixes.

Simple .. Data points.

A way to do this properly is a quality display with dual inputs. Get a computer with the two of the same graphics card and mirror displays. Have someone use the remote to possibly change HDMI input. Obscure the display while inputs are switched.

Make sure both inputs are calibrated.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
This is where properly designed, bias controlled, testing comes into play. It attempts to address your very good point.

The point being is since the brain knows that a cable has been swapped out cognitive bias is present and pollutes the results.

Yes and a lot more going on than that too. It sounds a bit far fetched but you have to observe the mind before our conscious interpretation. All sorts of factors come into play psychologically, not just acoustic related factors. I would be confident that people under test conditions will behave and respond differently compared to when they are in thier own homes.

What we hear when relaxed and in familiar surroundings or more precisely how we consciously interpreted the music will be different to being under test conditions Imo.

Anyway this is the measurements area, and I am sure my ideas will fall on deaf ears ;)

I am fascinated by audio measurements and how they relate to the subjective experience but nothing here seems to be addressing this.. It's all abstract, only relevant purely academically. It's like watching a episode of ' the knick' lol

Thought hdmi picture quality test should be straight forward compared to musical interpretation :)

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
Yes and a lot more going on than that too. It sounds a bit far fetched but you have to observe the mind before our conscious interpretation. All sorts of factors come into play psychologically, not just acoustic related factors. I would be confident that people under test conditions will behave and respond differently compared to when they are in thier own homes.

You mean like a room full of people at a show where AudioQuest is swapping out Ethernet cables and a bunch of people hear a difference?

Then I agree. But you also have to be willing to concede the point that it can indeed be done. Sauce that is good on goose is equally good on gander.

What we hear when relaxed and in familiar surroundings or more precisely how we consciously interpreted the music will be different to being under test conditions Imo.

So you are admitting that the difference might be in your head?

Anyway this is the measurements area, and I am sure my ideas will fall on deaf ears ;)

I am fascinated by audio measurements and how they relate to the subjective experience but nothing here seems to be addressing this.. It's all abstract, only relevant purely academically. It's like watching a episode of ' the knick' lol

I'm all for ideas. Opinions are just opinions. I'm after data. Again you have a cable that you admit makes a difference, that you aren't using and I'm still willing to pay the round trip postage. I would hope that your participation here would go beyond the chair and keyboard.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
You mean like a room full of people at a show where AudioQuest is swapping out Ethernet cables and a bunch of people hear a difference?

Then I agree. But you also have to be willing to concede the point that it can indeed be done. Sauce that is good on goose is equally good on gander.

So you are admitting that the difference might be in your head?

I'm all for ideas. Opinions are just opinions. I'm after data. Again you have a cable that you admit makes a difference, that you aren't using and I'm still willing to pay the round trip postage. I would hope that your participation here would go beyond the chair and keyboard.

Data lol

Not got through to you:rolleyes:

Your assuming I an a enemy to be proved wrong, you are analysing my text with a mind bent by the idea that I am opposed to science Or your idea of truth. You are very misguided in these assumptions to such a degree it's some what amusing .

I write, you read but the data you should be able to understand seems to be not compatible with your language matrix. I won't burden you with any further data, you have maxed out already :D

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
Data lol

Not got through to you:rolleyes:

I write, you read but the data you should be able to understand seems to be not compatible with your language matrix. I won't burden you with any further data, you have maxed out already :D

I'm waiting for you to burden anyone here with any data. All we have is mere conjecture on your part. I provide a way to get some data in the form of your somehow different, no longer used, can't recall the name HDMI cable and all that is gotten in return is a bunch of arm waving.

Wait that is at the least one data point ;)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello and good morning to you gentlemen. This thread is in the technical area of the forum and the topic is AudioQuest HDMI cables. Unless you have something technical to contribute to this thread, please take your conversations to PM. Any further off topic post will be deleted so that the signal to noise ratio remains low and members can share ideas, learn and contribute to the technical topic at hand. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Tom

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
I have a question about what HDMI cable I should get and setup some visual comparison vs my Dayton brand HDMI cables:

Should I get MIT or AudioQuest?

Would screen shots of HDR photo's be adequate? Would that possibly be better/worse/same as say Avatar BR?

What should I be looking for? What are the visual queue's to pay attention to?

Thx in advance.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Jinjuku, can you check to see if your graphics adapter enables HDCP even in non-movie content? The reason I ask is because if that is so, we can use an HDMI capture card and grab the image bit by bit with a test image. Camera images are harder to use in this manner. My fear is that HDCP is always asserted but if not, we have a way to capture everything and post for comparison here without a trip through analog capture of the camera :).

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
Jinjuku, can you check to see if your graphics adapter enables HDCP even in non-movie content? The reason I ask is because if that is so, we can use an HDMI capture card and grab the image bit by bit with a test image. Camera images are harder to use in this manner. My fear is that HDCP is always asserted but if not, we have a way to capture everything and post for comparison here without a trip through analog capture of the camera :).

HDCP handshake is supported on capture cards and is independent of what is coming across the wire. HDCP is always on.

So with that said this should all be able to captured to an external frame buffer and spit back out statically.

I would really like to also keep the analog capture since you can't convince some people of something they don't experience with their own eyes or ears. Measurements be damned.

esldude

Of course you seem to be making the assumption identical pixel values display the same. Even more so than with audio this would be true enough. I can also be sure someone will say it is not.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
I don't own AQ HDMI cables, but I do own both a cheap version and a far more expensive "videophile" grade version. The more expensive cable, apparently, offers superior shielding. While picture quality looks identical with either; using the cheaper cable interferes with the over-the-air signal. Careful attention to cable dressing helps, however the more expensive cable is far less prone to interfere.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You could also get un-protected H.264 video... Just a thought.
I know that. :) And my intent was to use a still test image. The problem is that I think HDCP will be asserted by the graphics card regardless. If so, without a cheater card you can't capture it. Do you have confirmation of any graphics card solution which only asserts HDCP on protected content that requires it?

I will get our HDMI analyzer and test my system here and see what it does.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't own AQ HDMI cables, but I do own both a cheap version and a far more expensive "videophile" grade version. The more expensive cable, apparently, offers superior shielding. While picture quality looks identical with either; using the cheaper cable interferes with the over-the-air signal. Careful attention to cable dressing helps, however the more expensive cable is far less prone to interfere.
Good point. HDMI is a very finicky communication link and you should use quality wires. With certification voluntary (and cheating prevalent) buying cables from likes of AudioQuest is actually a good thing. We are discussing here whether there are additional benefits beyond that.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Audioquest K2 speaker cables reviews on Amazon are also funny - these cost 16k in the UK for 2m sometime ago, I think - I actually had a friend's pair in my system for two weeks

"238 of 253 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 starsAmazing.

I was a bit skeptical, but decided to take a chance and took out a second mortgage on my home to buy these cables. In a great wave of luck however, the cables actually built me a NEW house shortly after I lost mine to foreclosure (I lost my job after missing 2 weeks straight due to illness. Between you and I, though, I was really just spending 16 hours a day tweaking the connectors on these cables to get the best possible sound from my speakers.)

Although I love my new home, I do not love it as much as I do these cables. They are quickly becoming the favorite thing in my life, a position which used to be held by my daughter. She's old enough to take care of herself now, at least that's what I tell the Children's Services agent when they try to lecture me about food and clothing and blah blah blah.

Final verdict: buy 3 pair.
124 of 129 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 starsDo not buy these cables

By Bandin on December 3, 2010
They're TOO good. I plugged these things into my 50W Magnavox 2.1 surround receiver and they impregnated my daughter. And I don't even have a daughter. I had to return them so I can afford the pregnant daughter that my future wife is going to give birth to.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing