Audioquest HDMI cables

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi

The unfortunate thing is that this won't change the opinion of those who are truly convinced. There was in this very WBF a thread about a "superior" HDMI from Transparent IIRC and in spite of Amir explaining the binary nature of HDMI (they work or they don't ..nothing in between) the OP was adamant that he saw better picture, no need to even test... Sad perhaps but this is the state of affair in our hobbies...

Pretty sure that was me on the Transparent hdmi. Something is going on beyond just passing the bits. I can only guess noise or jitter maybe? I'll stand by my comments on the transparent hdmi, colors pop more vividly and a more film like picture. Even the wife can see it...1m is about $250. Try it

Reactions: Billinge

esldude

Pretty sure that was me on the Transparent hdmi. Something is going on beyond just passing the bits. I can only guess noise or jitter maybe? I'll stand by my comments on the transparent hdmi, colors pop more vividly and a more film like picture. Even the wife can see it...1m is about $250. Try it

Please excuse me if I don't try it. Thanks for the opinion anyway.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

I've seen the same thing with a MIT or Shunyata HDMI over the stock Oppo HDMI cable. Colors and detail are much more vivid using my video reference BluRay Avatar.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
At the very least go read reviews of the Audioquest Diamond HDMi cable on Amazon. It is quite a bit of fine entertainment.
Boy, these guys can get so creative: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...dmi diamond&qid=1453611313&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

=====

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

738 of 770 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of knockoffs
By Batuhan Demirci on October 12, 2012
I once almost bought a cubic zirconia cable, but remember the two main differences: the white diamond HDMI cable should refract white light as shades of gray; and the cubic zirconia cables are not brought to you by African warlords. Support your local warlord, only buy real diamonds.

847 of 897 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Good cable, terrible instructions
By Patrick E. Hansen on January 13, 2013
I love this cable. Crystal clear audio and video. My only problem was that the instruction manual was very vague and misguiding. Long story short, I got it stuck in my urethra.

628 of 664 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Rent or Cable?
By Chris S on March 27, 2012
It was either this or pay the rent this month. You can guess which one I chose. Now, my landlord comes over to watch TV and caress this cable and I charge HIM rent!! HAHAHAHAHA.

226 of 241 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!
By Lekites on January 18, 2013
My cats just love to chew on it. In fact, they've chewed on it so much that the diamond layer has been encrusted to their teeth. Now they each have their own tiny cat grills. Unfortunately, some of them have died in gang-related accidents.

283 of 305 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Life changing!!!!!!!
By M. Joseph young on October 13, 2012
After I bought this cable, I lost 30 pounds! This incredible cable gave me more length and girth, and I'm more attractive to women!

277 of 301 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware of side effects!
By Sharon VDH on January 14, 2013
This a wonderful cable, I must admit. My pixels are now perfectly square, and the color range is phenomenal, extending both into the infra-red and ultraviolet. This is a little disconcerting at first, since there seem to be an inordinate number of gibbering, drooling hell-born nightmares that inhabit the edges of the visible spectrum. However, I was able to successfully cleanse my living room with a Zima, a pinch of turmeric and a copy of 'Twilight: New Moon'.

It seems that I did make a nearly fatal mistake, however. So enamored with this cable was I that I purchased a second for my bedroom TV. In the course of events, which need not be described here, I carelessly coupled the two cables to each other, a la the ouroboros. There was a blinding flash of light, and when my vision returned, it seemed that I had inadvertently opened a portal to 1961. Not wanting to waste an opportunity, I leaped into the portal. The journey itself was not unpleasant, although I did have to share my wormhole with a very sheepish looking Barack Obama, who apparently had some business to attend to in 1961 that seemed to involve some sort of typed document.

On arriving in Vermont in 1961, I sought out a drugstore to experience real sugar Coca-Cola for myself. The drink was quite refreshing, I must say. In any event, I chanced to meet in said drugstore a sweet young girl who seemed to be quite taken with me. Over the course of the evening we became more friendly, and one thing led to another until carnal events transpired. Upon waking up the following morning, I informed my new paramour that I needed to return to my own home. She was quite inconsolable, and insisted that she would wait for my return, refusing all suitors until that time.Read more ›

272 of 300 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my God, it's full of stars.
By Tain L Barzso on August 22, 2012
When I opened my eyes, I was stunned speechless by the breathtaking clarity; 1080P had transformed into what seemed to be a gateway into something never before imaginable; infinite black, infinite color, and infinite picture. As I watched my own life pass before my eyes, I felt that the cable itself was judging me. I lost track of where the TV began and I ended.

418 of 467 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 starsNot the right kind of plug
By W. W. Mayfield on December 26, 2011
I bought one of these to plug my TV in and it doesn't work at all. The outlet in the wall has three holes arranged in a triangle and this cord just has one rectangular shaped plug. I tried buying three to plug one into each hole in the outlet but even when I hammered the prongs into the right shape for the outlet my TV still won't come on and now it has smoke coming out of it.

esldude

Hey, don't forget to read the questions that have been answered. The 1st guy has a point. The zeroes don't mean much without the ones.

Question: I see the 1's and 0's are plentiful, but do the 1's still get stuck if you bend it too tight?
Answer:
You are correct! Zeros go around corners unhindered but those darned ones: not so much. Zeros without ones doesn't amount to much.
By ogenmatic on March 20, 2015
See more answers (6)

Question:
Having Bi-Directional Ethernet Communication Enabled is a real plus, does it need to be disabled if I am replacing a Uni-Directional cable?

Answer:
Yes
By Mikko Nurmesniemi on February 11, 2015
See more answers (5)

Question:
Will this make my PS4 do 4k?

Answer:
This can make your PS4 do 4K by 4K by 4K. In other words, a true 3 dimensional experience. Watch out for disturbances in the force as they tend to create moiré patterns on the PS4.
By George Hrysanthopoulos on February 23, 2015

esldude

I've seen the same thing with a MIT or Shunyata HDMI over the stock Oppo HDMI cable. Colors and detail are much more vivid using my video reference BluRay Avatar.

As this is the measurement forum, could you attempt to measure the effect for us. Yes, I am asking you to do this.

Maybe you can come up with something better. I would attempt a high resolution picture with a good DSLR on a tripod. Keep everything exactly the same except the HDMI cable. Something like that just for starters.

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011

Which MIT HDMI? Their website appears to be down:

mit.PNG

This should be easily testable. I have a few AMD Radeon cards sitting around that peg the BR Spec. But High Gamut monitor should do a better job of showing the differences. Could you post some screen shots as taken with a decent camera to see if the differences can be viewed here?

Attachments

• val_di_funes_italy.jpg
    val_di_funes_italy.jpg
    830.4 KB · Views: 489

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
As this is the measurement forum, could you attempt to measure the effect for us. Yes, I am asking you to do this.

I already did. I use my eyes for video, and my ears for audio. What measurements do you want me to do? Are you saying that we now have the ability to measure every atom, and its effects, in the video/electronic circuit?

Jinjuku

Apr 18, 2011
I already did. I use my eyes for video, and my ears for audio. What measurements do you want me to do? Are you saying that we now have the ability to measure every atom, and its effects, in the video/electronic circuit?

In an age where we can send a satellite hurtling through space for 3 billion miles to take photos of Pluto. Well asking for some data from you in a measurements thread just seems down-right trivial.

I've provided a photo that you could throw up on your display with the standard cable with the Oppo and the MIT and snap some pics and post it back. Not to much to ask in a measurement thread.

Which MIT should I try this with?

esldude

I am saying I neither trust your eyes nor your ears. Don't be too put off about that. I don't trust mine either.

Of course the old goofy canard about measuring everything...surely you could do better than this.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Pause a disc or whatever , take a pix of screen with super duper HDMI cable ... then remove super-duper, put no-duper cable take another picture of screen. Send Pixes.

Simple .. Data points.

spazmatron

Banned
Dec 4, 2015
Somerset, uk
We need to tackle this from the other end, not just hdmi but all of this kind of thing. We need a neurologist who's a keen audiophile, we need to understand what's going on in the brain when you swap cables out etc . You can't rely on humans interpretation of what they see or hear. We need reliable info about the neurological response before our conscious minds mess up the information.

I want there to be a better understanding of the subjective experience, so we can marry the objective measurements with the subjective experience but in a way that negates the corrupting factor of our conscious selfs.

Until this is done the value of these tests of yours while interesting will be some what abstract in nature.

That's not to say we should not hold audioquest to account if they have fudged the hdmi test results !

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

Does not surprise me. I suspect some are snake oil...so maybe the comments here one manufacturer are valid...but not on all.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Boy, these guys can get so creative: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...dmi diamond&qid=1453611313&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

=====

Most Helpful Customer Reviews

738 of 770 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of knockoffs
By Batuhan Demirci on October 12, 2012
I once almost bought a cubic zirconia cable, but remember the two main differences: the white diamond HDMI cable should refract white light as shades of gray; and the cubic zirconia cables are not brought to you by African warlords. Support your local warlord, only buy real diamonds.

847 of 897 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Good cable, terrible instructions
By Patrick E. Hansen on January 13, 2013
I love this cable. Crystal clear audio and video. My only problem was that the instruction manual was very vague and misguiding. Long story short, I got it stuck in my urethra.

628 of 664 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Rent or Cable?
By Chris S on March 27, 2012
It was either this or pay the rent this month. You can guess which one I chose. Now, my landlord comes over to watch TV and caress this cable and I charge HIM rent!! HAHAHAHAHA.

226 of 241 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!
By Lekites on January 18, 2013
My cats just love to chew on it. In fact, they've chewed on it so much that the diamond layer has been encrusted to their teeth. Now they each have their own tiny cat grills. Unfortunately, some of them have died in gang-related accidents.

After I bought this cable, I lost 30 pounds! This incredible cable gave me more length and girth, and I'm more attractive to women!

277 of 301 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Beware of side effects!
By Sharon VDH on January 14, 2013
This a wonderful cable, I must admit. My pixels are now perfectly square, and the color range is phenomenal, extending both into the infra-red and ultraviolet. This is a little disconcerting at first, since there seem to be an inordinate number of gibbering, drooling hell-born nightmares that inhabit the edges of the visible spectrum. However, I was able to successfully cleanse my living room with a Zima, a pinch of turmeric and a copy of 'Twilight: New Moon'.

It seems that I did make a nearly fatal mistake, however. So enamored with this cable was I that I purchased a second for my bedroom TV. In the course of events, which need not be described here, I carelessly coupled the two cables to each other, a la the ouroboros. There was a blinding flash of light, and when my vision returned, it seemed that I had inadvertently opened a portal to 1961. Not wanting to waste an opportunity, I leaped into the portal. The journey itself was not unpleasant, although I did have to share my wormhole with a very sheepish looking Barack Obama, who apparently had some business to attend to in 1961 that seemed to involve some sort of typed document.

On arriving in Vermont in 1961, I sought out a drugstore to experience real sugar Coca-Cola for myself. The drink was quite refreshing, I must say. In any event, I chanced to meet in said drugstore a sweet young girl who seemed to be quite taken with me. Over the course of the evening we became more friendly, and one thing led to another until carnal events transpired. Upon waking up the following morning, I informed my new paramour that I needed to return to my own home. She was quite inconsolable, and insisted that she would wait for my return, refusing all suitors until that time.Read more ›

272 of 300 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my God, it's full of stars.
By Tain L Barzso on August 22, 2012
When I opened my eyes, I was stunned speechless by the breathtaking clarity; 1080P had transformed into what seemed to be a gateway into something never before imaginable; infinite black, infinite color, and infinite picture. As I watched my own life pass before my eyes, I felt that the cable itself was judging me. I lost track of where the TV began and I ended.

418 of 467 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 starsNot the right kind of plug
By W. W. Mayfield on December 26, 2011
I bought one of these to plug my TV in and it doesn't work at all. The outlet in the wall has three holes arranged in a triangle and this cord just has one rectangular shaped plug. I tried buying three to plug one into each hole in the outlet but even when I hammered the prongs into the right shape for the outlet my TV still won't come on and now it has smoke coming out of it.

They are creative ! Marketing is their calling for sure :)

Or course the last person, plugging it into a wall outlet...I'm not sure if he's joking or that's real. I'd be afraid to know the answer !

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

I'm buying one of these.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing