Amarra Software or other comps

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
As Amir said... MSB makes a great DAC. The others are Playback Designs, Mytek, DAD and Naim
I will put Burmesters DAC up against any.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I was on Burmester's website and don't see a stand alone DAC. What is the model # and can it do >192kHz?

My apologies, one has to buy a Burmester pre or CDP to get the dac. ;) And yess 24/192

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I will put Burmesters DAC up against any.

OT
You are not alone in this belief .. Welcome to the WBF Forum.. Long Experience with Burmester DACs starting with the 870 ... This new module would have been my DAC on the 011 Preamp ... Long Story not to be re-told

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My apologies, one has to buy a Burmester pre or CDP to get the dac. ;) And yess 24/192

I asked if it will do > "greater" than 192k. Lee asked if there were any DAC's that would do 352.8 and up, hence my recommendation.
There are hundreds of DACs that will do 192 now. It's the new Redbook!

ted_b

Feb 4, 2011
the soon to be released iTunes 11 will support hirez files

Steve, what do you mean by this? I get iTunes to play hirez already. Moreover, with PM and my M2tech Young protype DAC I get 24/352 and 24/384 files files (like 2L's DXD, etc) to play (using iTunes as the GUI and library manager). What is it about iTunes that will change in iTunes 11? Auto sample rate (doubt it highly as Apple does not want core audio auto-changing with multiple requests)? Thanks
Ted

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I asked if it will do > "greater" than 192k. Lee asked if there were any DAC's that would do 352.8 and up, hence my recommendation.

Well, yes I quess so. But, it seems to appear you are saying all DAC sound alike (big no-no).

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
In some casual switching back and forth, I heard no difference with Amarra in or out of the signal path from iTunes or from the Squeezebox server software (which auto-switches sampling rates btw).

An aside -- anybody heard the dcs Debussy vs the Berkeley DAC or some of its other competitors?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011

Ok. Then let me re-phrase my question. Why is 352.8 so inmportant to you? Is it the first thing you look at in a DAC? Can a 192k DAC beat a 352.8 DAC in sound? I am confused as to why 352.8 is so important.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Ok. Then let me re-phrase my question. Why is 352.8 so inmportant to you? Is it the first thing you look at in a DAC? Can a 192k DAC beat a 352.8 DAC in sound? I am confused as to why 352.8 is so important.

Because we do a lot of DSD mastering and the PCM sampling rate of 352.8kHz is used to edit and process DSD files in Pyramix. Plus there are now 352.8 downloads available... O'kay?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Because we do a lot of DSD mastering and the PCM sampling rate of 352.8kHz is used to edit and process DSD files in Pyramix. Plus there are now 352.8 downloads available... O'kay?
Well, not really. But I am happy it works for you and your situation. 'Kay?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing