Amarra Software or other comps

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
I am using Amarra's 2.0 software to run my Mac Mini Server into a dCS stack. I went this route for two reasons: 1) i thought the sound (codec? process) of ITunes was not very good; and 2) I had invested so much time into loading all my music into ITunes that i wanted a software that works with ITunes.

I do think driving the output through Amarra creates a noticeable difference in sound quality. i would be interested to know other people's experience with Amarra. I think the software usability is less than desirable. I get frustrated with the loading system from ITunes to Amarra and see the GUI as being OK at best.

Secondly, i would like suggestions for other software (i am non-technical so please explain how the software works in relation to ITunes and an outboard USB connection to a DAC or if it is a different solution all together). 1) Sound quality is most important, 2) Must be compatible with my outboard USB DAC and 2) is easy integration with ITunes

thanks,
brian

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
From a consumer standpoint, you have the best set up for Mac already. The problem with "server" software can be summed up in 2 questions. Do you want a great sound? or a great GUI. You can't have both. Amarra gives you a great sound with not so great GUI.

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
Thanks Bruce, i suspect you are right. i also suspect that Amarra will improve the GUI over time; the greatest improvement will be the ability to load a much larger library for longer listening enjoyment (in line with the whole ease of use principle of computer front ends); second will be a shuffle structure. i often use the autopilot feature, but i then get 20 alphabetical songs (one reality i have to deal with is duplicates of songs in the import process); granted i can engineer a play list or do a shuffle at the ITune level but it is adding a layer of 'work' which I have become accustomed to not doing with computer sources.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I am using Puremusic with very good results, my files are all WAV stored and convert fromUSB to coax via a Stello spdf and to my Reimyo DAC. This software keeps iTunes as GUI so no problem there, but after my blind test experiment against the oppo I am unfortunatly listening less to my Digital server and more from CDs.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
Thanks Bruce, i suspect you are right. i also suspect that Amarra will improve the GUI over time; the greatest improvement will be the ability to load a much larger library for longer listening enjoyment (in line with the whole ease of use principle of computer front ends); second will be a shuffle structure. i often use the autopilot feature, but i then get 20 alphabetical songs (one reality i have to deal with is duplicates of songs in the import process); granted i can engineer a play list or do a shuffle at the ITune level but it is adding a layer of 'work' which I have become accustomed to not doing with computer sources.
Hello. I use the itunes as the GUI, with Amarra, the plug-in, just processing the sound and automatically selecting correct playback mode. How does that add a layer of 'work'?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
To answer the original question, I've tried both Amarra and Pure Music. Personally, I only heard a difference when playing hi-rez files, probably because both play native resolution, iTunes requires that you manually change it to match the file, or it upconverts/downconverts to whatever it is set to. So the result is not bit perfect.

I heard no difference between Amarra/Pure Music/iTunes playing redbook files at native rates. YMMV. If I had enough hi-rez to care, I'd use Pure Music. I don't.

Tim

rhopkins

Apr 28, 2010
I am using Amarra's 2.0 software to run my Mac Mini Server into a dCS stack. I went this route for two reasons: 1) i thought the sound (codec? process) of ITunes was not very good

Hi Brian,

It's actually not iTunes that processes the sound. It simply passes on the bit perfect audio file to the Apples CoreAudio process which, as I understand it, is where the sonic issues are. There is something like this in Windows also however, I don't know what it's called.

Regardless, what Amarra does is bi-pass the CoreAudio process and gives you some other options with regard to sound, eq and playback.

I use it on my Weiss DAC 1 mkII FW and the difference is noticeable to me and I personally think it's a fair improvement. I think anything that can improve digital is a great thing and I'm pleased with this solution.

I agree about the GUI however, most of the time I only use the software to play iTunes files and automatically switch the resolution. If it's gapless play I need then I load a list into Amarra but even that's not too problematic.

Mike Gillespie

Jan 19, 2011
Two questions: 1) If you're only listening to 16/44, will Amarra or any other playback software be noticeably better than Itunes? 2) Can any of these other software programs handle over 100,000 files without a glitch? I'm running Itunes 64 bit on a PC with a fast I7 chip and solid state drives and Itunes still takes a very long time to process all that many files (all AIFF)?

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
Question: I heard that ITunes will shortly be able to play hirez files; has anyone else heard this. second, in line with RHopkins input above, is there any noise that Itunes/Apple will resolve the Apple Core Audio issue?

Mike: i do hear a difference on 16/44 redbook. on Amarre, i believe the playback is more full. this may be something to do with me wanting to hear that, my DAC/Upsampling or some other technical reason. But the difference is noticeable enough that i take the effort to load through Amarre. My wife, who could care less about this stuff, does the same as she too can hear the difference

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Two questions: 1) If you're only listening to 16/44, will Amarra or any other playback software be noticeably better than Itunes? 2) Can any of these other software programs handle over 100,000 files without a glitch? I'm running Itunes 64 bit on a PC with a fast I7 chip and solid state drives and Itunes still takes a very long time to process all that many files (all AIFF)?
I don't know the specifics of these programs on the Mac. But "audiophile" players do things like read the entire track into memory and then play from there as to not cause potential timing errors with extra disc accesses in the middle. Whether such techniques make an audible difference is impossible to say. Any difference may be so small as make the placebo effect extremely potent in making one think there is a difference when there is not :).

That said, sample rate conversion causes far bigger difference so being able to do away with that is goodness.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
what has the most impact on the quality of sound, more kHz, or perhaps the quality of the hardware?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing