Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546

Thread: installing 7 Furutech GTX-D NFC (R) outlets this morning

Member Sponsor Senior Member Uk Paul's Avatar
    Another round of testing the NCF booster.

LP Tracy Chapman, track 'Baby can I Hold You'.

Fitted to Pre (CF 080LSX2 all NOS Mullard) - more air around performers, higher frequencies seem cleaner and possibly more extended. Mid range certainly better clarity. Low mid and bass, small definition improvement; better precision which is probably cleaner more incisive lower mids. As I only have one so far this seems to be the most influential position, but I also moved it to other parts:

Allnic H3000 PSU: effect as above but more subtle, so losing the boost on the pre, and gaining a bit back on H3000, Furutech FI-50 again on H3000 PSU, same as Pre.
    Using top section only on DC input to H3000, (base won't fit as Bocchino RCA clashes) not much to gain here like this; inconclusive!

On Neutrik Powercon 32amp input to the Symetrica Bal power supply for whole system, again, some improvement here, not as obvious as the pre though. I designed this supply and my dislike for IEC connectors led me to use the big Neutrik as they lock together tightly, no sag or wobble and I think this improves the connection and sonics, but still I can detect the effect of the booster here, just more subtle than the pre. These will fit the rear panel no problem on production models without any clashing of power plugs.

Not tried yet on the CF mono amplifiers as I need two boosters, also not tried on any digital gear yet. Plan now is to get 2 more sent over, then I can try on DAC/Transport, and power amps.

Yes Ron, this 'crack' ain't too bad..
    Last edited by Uk Paul; 11-28-2017 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Punctuation Sir..
    Z:Axis Audio

Balanced Power ~ 'Symetrica' by Z:Axis Audio TT Sony TTS 8000 / SAEC WE-506/30 / Nasotec Swing / Aidas PanzerHolz-Diamond, Allnic H3000 Phono /KR Audio 'Lampi Anniv 5U4G CD Esoteric transport / Concert Fidelity DAC 040B/D /Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 Pre / ZL200 Amplifiers / Martin Logan Spire - Extensively modified. Cabling is by Z-Axis Audio, Reference mains leads, 'Reference B52' interconnects, 'Livewire' speaker cables. Mirage equipment support.

It annoys me that we spend so much on power cables but connections are sometimes poor due to heavy cables and flimsy IEC connectors. It doesn't help that wall outlets are usually 14-16" off the floor, and cables tend to pull the connectors loose.

So I was pleased to see that the Shunyata D6000 power conditioners come with cable cradles. However, it doesn't deal with loose IEC connectors on components. I was keen to try the Furutech NCF Booster because I've already had good results with their FI-50 NCF connectors, GTX plates, and GTX-D NCF outlets.

After a short wait for my back-order (my dealer sells a lot of these), my Booster arrived with the extension kit. The kit makes it easy to adjust the cradle height to fit any outlet or IEC. Like other Furutech items, the Booster is very well made.

I used my 1st Booster to clamp 2 power cables to one outlet, and to support a 3rd cable in a higher outlet. As you can see from the photo, I used a small piece of cardboard to separate the 3 cables. Crude but effective. If the FI-50 or GTX-D can improve your system, the Booster will provide similar benefits. It will reduce background noise and improve dynamic contrast. Percussive instruments (piano, drums, etc) are more lifelike.

Before I splurged on more Booster, I wondered if IEC connectors will also sound better with more stable support. I glued multiple sheets of cardboard to make cradles to fit every IEC. Cardboard is cheap.rigid, non-conductive, and easy to cut to the right height. The result exceeded my expectations as my system has never sounded so quiet and dynamic. I would like to buy more Boosters but my immediate priority is to upgrade my digital streamer.

Name:  Booster.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  295.0 KBName:  Cardboard 1.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  205.9 KBName:  Cardboard 2.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  320.4 KBName:  Cardboard 3.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  231.3 KB

IEC sockets are the worst piece of industry standard in my view, I really don't get why these became the norm, especially with these heavy female plugs such as the FI-50 etc. The worst offenders are the fused inlet's with a fuse drawer, give them a good wiggle and you can break the connection. Neutrik should be the standard, they are so much better.

MtSeymour, did you go FI-50 to NCF? Thanks for the input, it seems that general consesus is that these boosters are very effective indeed..

Balanced Power ~ 'Symetrica' by Z:Axis Audio TT Sony TTS 8000 / SAEC WE-506/30 / Nasotec Swing / Aidas PanzerHolz-Diamond, Allnic H3000 Phono /KR Audio 'Lampi Anniv 5U4G CD Esoteric transport / Concert Fidelity DAC 040B/D /Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 Pre / ZL200 Amplifiers / Martin Logan Spire - Extensively modified. Cabling is by Z-Axis Audio, Reference mains leads, 'Reference B52' interconnects, 'Livewire' speaker cables. Mirage equipment support.

3 in the system now, incremental improvements with each one added.

Quote Originally Posted by Uk Paul View Post
    IEC sockets are the worst piece of industry standard in my view, I really don't get why these became the norm, especially with these heavy female plugs such as the FI-50 etc. The worst offenders are the fused inlet's with a fuse drawer, give them a good wiggle and you can break the connection. Neutrik should be the standard, they are so much better.

MtSeymour, did you go FI-50 to NCF? Thanks for the input, it seems that general consesus is that these boosters are very effective indeed..
    I've been tempted to replace the AC inlet on several amps but the modifications were too extensive.

I went straight to the FI-50 NCF because I heard a demo of the Siltech Triple Crown. It's a good sign when other cables like the Triple Crown and Audience Au24 SX use the NCF. My dealers has to regularly re-order the FI-50 and Booster due to high demand.

Another enthusiastic vote for the NCF Booster. More air and clarity with less upper mid/lower treble emphasis, making for a more natural and engaging presentation.

Name:  IMG_3326.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  893.7 KB

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3637383940414243444546