installing 7 Furutech GTX-D NFC (R) outlets this morning

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
I too joined the "NCF Booster Club":cool: So far I only got one and put it under power cable feeding one of my Audioquest Niagara 5000AP. I like it. It does work, no doubt about that. In my system it does 3 things: more focused and articulate base, more natural highs and, most noticeable, quieter background. Will get more of these to see if there's a cumulative effect. Expensive suckers! But what's cheap in our hobby?;)
P.S. Wanted to attach some pics but have no idea how to do it.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have not tried the CF-080 but I believe it's supposed to provide similar mechanical damping as the FI-50 plug's stainless/carbon body, so you can upgrade plugs with the polycarbonate bodies without buying FI-50s.

I have tried FI-50 vs FI-28 and the 50's stainless/carbon body does provide noticeably better performance, with the NCF version being even better... so I'd be tempted to recommend the NCF as the best solution with the CF-080 providing part of the benefits of the FI-50 NCF.

Dave, any idea as to the cost of the CF-080?
Only question I would have is if at the iec end it leaves enough room between the Fi-28 and the transformer....on my Jadis amps. There is not much space right now, so adding to the thickness of the plug may not be a solution....for me.
Luckily, I'm pretty happy with my Fi-28(r)'s...but the CF-080 does look interesting.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave, any idea as to the cost of the CF-080?
Only question I would have is if at the iec end it leaves enough room between the Fi-28 and the transformer....on my Jadis amps. There is not much space right now, so adding to the thickness of the plug may not be a solution....for me.
Luckily, I'm pretty happy with my Fi-28(r)'s...but the CF-080 does look interesting.

It goes for $99, probably the cheapest "CF" part I've seen. :)

It looks like diameter is 44.5mm

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
If you like NCF, I highly recommend the limited edition DPS-4 power cable with NCF connectors. They are a fraction of the cost of my Nordost Odin PC's and to my ears sound every bit as good. I just ordered 3 more NCF/DPS-4 pc's from Joe at Kosmic. I currently use two for my Torus RM 15 PLus transformer boxes.

Glad you have open mind and don't judge book by it's cover. I have 6 FP-S55N (10g) and 2 FP-S032N (12g) with NCFs. 2 Nanotec #308, triple C version of furutech.

I rotate Hegel H30 in the summer. 2 summer's ago, sounded like crap compare the ARC. i tried, HiDiamond P4, P3, Shunyata Sigma HC, Alpha HC, Kimber Pallidan PK10, Nordost Vahalla ... all sounded like crap in comparison. Didn't listen much, plan to sell Hegel and use ARC year round.

This summer tried FP-S55N w/NCF and just blew me away. SQ superb and now ARC back in system, they are more different than one superior to another. Ultimately I prefer tubes but no longer painful going SS. When I need a change, will try DPS-4.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Another round of testing the NCF booster.

LP Tracy Chapman, track 'Baby can I Hold You'.

Fitted to Pre (CF 080LSX2 all NOS Mullard) - more air around performers, higher frequencies seem cleaner and possibly more extended. Mid range certainly better clarity. Low mid and bass, small definition improvement; better precision which is probably cleaner more incisive lower mids. As I only have one so far this seems to be the most influential position, but I also moved it to other parts:

Allnic H3000 PSU: effect as above but more subtle, so losing the boost on the pre, and gaining a bit back on H3000, Furutech FI-50 again on H3000 PSU, same as Pre.
Using top section only on DC input to H3000, (base won't fit as Bocchino RCA clashes) not much to gain here like this; inconclusive!

On Neutrik Powercon 32amp input to the Symetrica Bal power supply for whole system, again, some improvement here, not as obvious as the pre though. I designed this supply and my dislike for IEC connectors led me to use the big Neutrik as they lock together tightly, no sag or wobble and I think this improves the connection and sonics, but still I can detect the effect of the booster here, just more subtle than the pre. These will fit the rear panel no problem on production models without any clashing of power plugs.

Not tried yet on the CF mono amplifiers as I need two boosters, also not tried on any digital gear yet. Plan now is to get 2 more sent over, then I can try on DAC/Transport, and power amps.

Yes Ron, this 'crack' ain't too bad..

Last edited:

mtseymour

Dec 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
It annoys me that we spend so much on power cables but connections are sometimes poor due to heavy cables and flimsy IEC connectors. It doesn't help that wall outlets are usually 14-16" off the floor, and cables tend to pull the connectors loose.

So I was pleased to see that the Shunyata D6000 power conditioners come with cable cradles. However, it doesn't deal with loose IEC connectors on components. I was keen to try the Furutech NCF Booster because I've already had good results with their FI-50 NCF connectors, GTX plates, and GTX-D NCF outlets.

After a short wait for my back-order (my dealer sells a lot of these), my Booster arrived with the extension kit. The kit makes it easy to adjust the cradle height to fit any outlet or IEC. Like other Furutech items, the Booster is very well made.

I used my 1st Booster to clamp 2 power cables to one outlet, and to support a 3rd cable in a higher outlet. As you can see from the photo, I used a small piece of cardboard to separate the 3 cables. Crude but effective. If the FI-50 or GTX-D can improve your system, the Booster will provide similar benefits. It will reduce background noise and improve dynamic contrast. Percussive instruments (piano, drums, etc) are more lifelike.

Before I splurged on more Booster, I wondered if IEC connectors will also sound better with more stable support. I glued multiple sheets of cardboard to make cradles to fit every IEC. Cardboard is cheap.rigid, non-conductive, and easy to cut to the right height. The result exceeded my expectations as my system has never sounded so quiet and dynamic. I would like to buy more Boosters but my immediate priority is to upgrade my digital streamer.

Booster.jpg Cardboard 1.jpg Cardboard 2.jpg Cardboard 3.jpg

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
IEC sockets are the worst piece of industry standard in my view, I really don't get why these became the norm, especially with these heavy female plugs such as the FI-50 etc. The worst offenders are the fused inlet's with a fuse drawer, give them a good wiggle and you can break the connection. Neutrik should be the standard, they are so much better.

MtSeymour, did you go FI-50 to NCF? Thanks for the input, it seems that general consesus is that these boosters are very effective indeed..

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
3 in the system now, incremental improvements with each one added.

mtseymour

Dec 7, 2013
Vancouver, BC
IEC sockets are the worst piece of industry standard in my view, I really don't get why these became the norm, especially with these heavy female plugs such as the FI-50 etc. The worst offenders are the fused inlet's with a fuse drawer, give them a good wiggle and you can break the connection. Neutrik should be the standard, they are so much better.

MtSeymour, did you go FI-50 to NCF? Thanks for the input, it seems that general consesus is that these boosters are very effective indeed..

I've been tempted to replace the AC inlet on several amps but the modifications were too extensive.

I went straight to the FI-50 NCF because I heard a demo of the Siltech Triple Crown. It's a good sign when other cables like the Triple Crown and Audience Au24 SX use the NCF. My dealers has to regularly re-order the FI-50 and Booster due to high demand.

miniguy

Dec 18, 2013
San Diego area
Another enthusiastic vote for the NCF Booster. More air and clarity with less upper mid/lower treble emphasis, making for a more natural and engaging presentation.

IMG_3326.jpg

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
Can someone that's installed or examined the latest Furutech 105-D NCF wall plate explain the following detail from the Furutech description?

"Important notice for customers using the 105-D NCF outlet cover with GTX Wall Plate: for improved sonic performance, the 105-D NCF has been designed not to sit on the base of the GTX Wall Plate and the Teflon sheet is not required when fixing the 105-D NCF to the GTX Wall Plate."

What exactly is this saying? Is it NOT designed to be used with the GTX Wall Plate? The quote seems to say that improved sonic performance is obtained by not placing the 105-D on the wall plate. What is the included Teflon Sheet supposed to be used for?

I'm thinking of ordering the wall plates but unclear with how they are best designed to be installed - with or without wall plates and with or without a teflon sheet.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
The 105 D is different from it's predecessor in that it covers the outside edge of the wall plate rather than sit inside of it with it's edges making contact with the teflon sheet. However, both covers are still being sold, the NCF version is about double the price of the non-NCF cover. So with the previous cover you use the teflon sheet, with the NCF cover you do not. I switched from non-NCF to NCF receptacle and cover and left the teflon sheet in place, it doesn't matter so much but with the new NCF cover it's just not being used for anything so it can be discarded.

Now, with the 105 D NCF sitting on the outside edge of the wall plate there is a small gap in between the cover and receptacle, the screw that attaches it to the receptacle can actually bend the cover as it is tightened and this has a small effect on the sound. I prefer to adjust the cover so there is a small amount of tension, maybe a half turn of the screw past where it makes contact.

I hope this is clear, it will probably make more sense once the parts are in-hand. Currently, all GTX NCF, wall plates and covers are not in-stock. More should be here in 2 weeks but I'd consider ordering now to make sure you get what you want as the shipment may sell out before it even gets here. This is common after the holidays and took a couple months to catch up last year. I do offer free burn-in, shipping, etc. so please let me know if I can help! :)

Ventoux

Jul 8, 2017
The 105 D is different from it's predecessor in that it covers the outside edge of the wall plate rather than sit inside of it with it's edges making contact with the teflon sheet. However, both covers are still being sold, the NCF version is about double the price of the non-NCF cover. So with the previous cover you use the teflon sheet, with the NCF cover you do not. I switched from non-NCF to NCF receptacle and cover and left the teflon sheet in place, it doesn't matter so much but with the new NCF cover it's just not being used for anything so it can be discarded.

Now, with the 105 D NCF sitting on the outside edge of the wall plate there is a small gap in between the cover and receptacle, the screw that attaches it to the receptacle can actually bend the cover as it is tightened and this has a small effect on the sound. I prefer to adjust the cover so there is a small amount of tension, maybe a half turn of the screw past where it makes contact.

I hope this is clear, it will probably make more sense once the parts are in-hand. Currently, all GTX NCF, wall plates and covers are not in-stock. More should be here in 2 weeks but I'd consider ordering now to make sure you get what you want as the shipment may sell out before it even gets here. This is common after the holidays and took a couple months to catch up last year. I do offer free burn-in, shipping, etc. so please let me know if I can help! :)

I was wondering about this as well. Great explanation !;)

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015

Thanks for the info. It sounds like the power cable wouldn’t make as “flush” of a connection with the receptacle with the small gap you describe. Is that so? It’s been awhile since I installed my non-NCF outlets/GTX/outlet cover - is the Teflon sheet an accessory that came with the GTX? That’s what I’m inferring from your reply and perhaps better fits the context of the Furutech description of the 105-D.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing