installing 7 Furutech GTX-D NFC (R) outlets this morning

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Two guys in my Boston area audio group used to listen much more to analog. After purchasing or modifying their DACs, they are listening to a lot of digital now. I don't actually know if they prefer one over the other anymore. As an all analog guy, I admit that it has me wondering. Digital has gotten extremely good lately.

Back on topic. I am thinking of replacing my three Furutech IEC connectors with the latest NFC model. I don't have any wall outlets or plates in my system.

I've heard RtR crush digital, but otoh a digital rip of the RtR is very, very difficult to identify from the original. Something to think about...

I recommend adding as much NCF as your budget allows. ;) IECs are generally very easy to switch out, but a bit of filing and/or a couple of small drill holes may be required as the sizes and bolt hole patterns are not standardized, and some, including the Furutech can be front or back mounted. If there wasn't an IEC or it's too different I'll have Front Panel Express machine me an adapter plate. M3 or #4 screws seem to work well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Two guys in my Boston area audio group used to listen much more to analog. After purchasing or modifying their DACs, they are listening to a lot of digital now. I don't actually know if they prefer one over the other anymore. As an all analog guy, I admit that it has me wondering. Digital has gotten extremely good lately.

Back on topic. I am thinking of replacing my three Furutech IEC connectors with the latest NFC model. I don't have any wall outlets or plates in my system.

I do think digital has come a long way...and at this stage given that (i have read somewhere) that digital masters and LP masters are sometimes ultimately different just before they are transferred onto the medium...i wonder if it truly is starting to become a matter of whether you prefer the LP or the digital transfer/mastering.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
All of the NCF versions are Rhodium plated. I personally no longer use the Gold any more and rarely get any requests for it. As far as I know, Rhodium has been outselling Gold by quite a bit over the last couple years, so it doesn't surprise me that the new NCF series is only available in Rhodium. Every one of my customers consider the Rhodium to be more neutral than Gold. I suppose if demand is high enough, Furutech will offer the NCF series in Gold, but I have not heard if they are going to do that.

good thing the only available UK outlets are rhodium i suppose.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I've heard RtR crush digital, but otoh a digital rip of the RtR is very, very difficult to identify from the original. Something to think about...

I recommend adding as much NCF as your budget allows. ;) IECs are generally very easy to switch out, but a bit of filing and/or a couple of small drill holes may be required as the sizes and bolt hole patterns are not standardized, and some, including the Furutech can be front or back mounted. If there wasn't an IEC or it's too different I'll have Front Panel Express machine me an adapter plate. M3 or #4 screws seem to work well.

Thanks for the advice Dave. I'll PM you when I have a moment to ask for some more suggestions.

Joe Pittman

Sep 14, 2010
Seattle, Washington USA
www.kosmic.us
Thanks for your time here...i was told by a local distributor (not of Furutech but who personally owns them at his home) that the burn-in is 400+ hours or more, but fortunately, with most of the equipment 'dripping current' 24/7 (Power conditioner mainly, plus a few components that have minimal functions 24/7)...it would be several weeks and then fine.

Since we were making so many updates/changes anyway, i did not start to seriously fine tune until 12 weeks anyway. Just curious as to what your understanding/experience may be?

My experience with break-in follows:

1st hour is radical. I don't think prior cable cooking is that significant so I just recommend installing and putting up with the first day. It's important to do a good install with wires properly stripped, cleaned and torqued connections for consistency. Make sure Hot, Neutral and Ground wire connections at the panel are also reconnected, stripped, cleaned and torqued (you will thank me for this). And the panel breaker contacts cleaned. Installation is ultra important and very significant.

1st week changes fluctuate and diminish quickly.

1-4 week, there may be a very small increase in performance due to break-in, but I think the perception is due to hearing more to each performance than previously. I avoid playing "reference" music over and over again and just listen to as much music as usual and enjoy it.

4+ weeks, I have not heard significant changes due to the NCF at my place or others. If there are perceived changes, I would look into the power panel connections.

As always, YMMV.

I think the key ingredient in the new NCF formula is the Tourmaline which gives off negative ions when they heat-up (this is a very special property). So the system needs to warm-up at the beginning of EVERY listening session. The system starts to really sing after the first 30-60 minutes. And this effect is added to the other components also warming-up from idle such as the electronics (if left on all the time) and the the loudspeakers (especially woofers) loosening up and the phono cartridge warming up (assuming you are listening to vinyl).

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My experience with break-in follows:

1st hour is radical. I don't think prior cable cooking is that significant so I just recommend installing and putting up with the first day. It's important to do a good install with wires properly stripped, cleaned and torqued connections for consistency. Make sure Hot, Neutral and Ground wire connections at the panel are also reconnected, stripped, cleaned and torqued (you will thank me for this). And the panel breaker contacts cleaned. Installation is ultra important and very significant.

1st week changes fluctuate and diminish quickly.

1-4 week, there may be a very small increase in performance due to break-in, but I think the perception is due to hearing more to each performance than previously. I avoid playing "reference" music over and over again and just listen to as much music as usual and enjoy it.

4+ weeks, I have not heard significant changes due to the NCF at my place or others. If there are perceived changes, I would look into the power panel connections.

As always, YMMV.

I think the key ingredient in the new NCF formula is the Tourmaline which gives off negative ions when they heat-up (this is a very special property). So the system needs to warm-up at the beginning of EVERY listening session. The system starts to really sing after the first 30-60 minutes. And this effect is added to the other components also warming-up from idle such as the electronics (if left on all the time) and the the loudspeakers (especially woofers) loosening up and the phono cartridge warming up (assuming you are listening to vinyl).

Thank you! 4 weeks of constant '24/7 drip voltage' is about 672 hours...so that concurs with the professionals who came over for the installation of other parts of the system. Well, fortunately, that is well behind us at this stage but always good to learn these things for reference.

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012
Thanks Joe. That's very helpful.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Dave, I want to go NCF for my IECs but my DAC and power amps have the IECs combined with the fuse holder. So years ago I put in FI-03(R) with modest improvements. I'd love to upgrade! Is there a way to put FI-09 NCF in and deal with the fuse issue in some "creative" but safe way?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Dave, I want to go NCF for my IECs but my DAC and power amps have the IECs combined with the fuse holder. So years ago I put in FI-03(R) with modest improvements. I'd love to upgrade! Is there a way to put FI-09 NCF in and deal with the fuse issue in some "creative" but safe way?

Indeed it's possible.

You just move the fuse.

ACME-65008.jpg

There's a little work involved, but it's relatively simple.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Indeed it's possible.

You just move the fuse.

View attachment 30765

There's a little work involved, but it's relatively simple.

Exactly, you'd have to add a fuse holder. The only other issue is the IEC cutout is larger for the ones with integrated fuse holders, if there's room it's possible to use an adapter plate, and the adapter plate could have a hole in it for the fuse holder as well. But between the adapter plate and fuse holder it's a much larger project than it would be if you were just replacing a simple IEC inlet.

I do have an IEC adapter plate for the FI-33 (pretty sure they are the same size) drawn up using front panel express software, with a few minor changes it could probably work for your components. If you want a copy let me know... the software is free and fairly easy to use, it can be downloaded from front panel express' website.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Folsom, Dave, I appreciate the info. I'm interested. But a fuse holder for 6 bucks!:confused: What if I want to put in Audio Magic Beeswax fuse into it? Don't they make fuse holders for truly insane audiophiles?:D Just kidding...

No, seriously, aren't there better options to use in a 30K power amps?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I wish. Custom made by a machinist might be the only real solution.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
I wish. Custom made by a machinist might be the only real solution.
You mean you are not aware of anything better in existance on this planet?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
You mean you are not aware of anything better in existance on this planet?

I haven't seen anything that's small. There's a company that makes DIN rail fuse holders, but I don't know if they're actually better.

Sad, isn't it? I've been planning designs for my own to be made, but hadn't intended to sell them by themselves.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I too have not found any super high quality fuse holders. Acme sells one... http://www.acmeaudiolabs.com/products.htm ...probably the same on Folsom pictured. But to be fair, the contacts inside the integrated IEC/fuse holders don't seem any better.

Probably the best way to install a fuse is to solder it, but it makes replacement more difficult and might damage some "audiophile" fuses. You could also look at larger holder, like 30A capacity, and put a smaller fuse in it.

I've tried the fuse holder as well as magnetic/thermal breakers and I'm tending towards breakers, which can also have the power switch built-in.

If you want to live dangerously it would also be possible to install a power switch with a position that bypasses the fuse/breaker... only to be used while you are present and a fire-extinguisher handy though. ;)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
ok, tonight Joe Pittman installed -7- of the Furutech 105-D NCF outlet covers on my outlets replacing the previous metal covers.. it took him about 30-35 minutes. he torqued them to a spec he has found is best so far in his experience.

I did expect them to be an improvement. but this was bigger than I expected.

-a layer of greyness was removed. it's more vivid and open.
-I get more a sense of weight and tonal sparkle. more alive and micro dynamic.
-slightly greater soundstage, mostly decays go on farther.
-greater sense of focus.....vocals are spooky good. (Joe and I both thought 'vinyl' good).

I don't get it but another nice call Mike.

I bit and bought the NCF covers this week to go with the NCF outlets installed last year. I'm amazed that I'm hearing overall improvements across the board from new outlet covers! And I had the original Furutech covers so it's not like I was starting from scratch.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Well my system is a bit humble compared to Mike's :) but I also found the same type of improvement with last week's install of the NCF. Amazing what a simple power outlet can do. I had an Oyaide GX previously.

ok, tonight Joe Pittman installed -7- of the Furutech 105-D NCF outlet covers on my outlets replacing the previous metal covers.. it took him about 30-35 minutes. he torqued them to a spec he has found is best so far in his experience.

I did expect them to be an improvement. but this was bigger than I expected.

-a layer of greyness was removed. it's more vivid and open.
-I get more a sense of weight and tonal sparkle. more alive and micro dynamic.
-slightly greater soundstage, mostly decays go on farther.
-greater sense of focus.....vocals are spooky good. (Joe and I both thought 'vinyl' good).

I suspect that my recent addition of the Aqua Formula dac and SMG server, which lowered noise floors and increased detail and focus already made this change more profound.

anyway it's a killer addition......I would caution that while I expect they would make a positive audible difference in most systems, the degree of benefit will likely vary from system to system. so I'm not proclaiming universal rave level here. but......anyone who has already done the rest of the Furutech NCF program likely will get a significant boost.

enjoy.

I expect Joe will be around if you have any techie questions.

and.....to Ed and all my weekend visitors, yes......it's even better now.:eek:

added note; I did a no-no. I made 2 changes at once. when Joe switched out the cover plates, I switched power cords between my dart pre and SMG server. the one that had been on the server was a decent Tel Wire I've had for awhile. I had one of my Absolute Fidelity power cords with the new Furutech NCF plugs on my dart pre. I figured the NCF plugged PC on the dart pre is only powering the battery charger and has no effect on performance. so why not put it where it can do some good?

anyway.....likely there is a muddying of the water on degree of cover plate switching cause and effect. wanted to do full disclosure. I'm guessing some of the extra vividness, microdynamics and additional decays are the PC change.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Sorry, meant to add that the bass and vocals improvement is really noticeable in my system.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Mike, Folsom, I'm struggling to figure out where on this forum to post the following question:

Does anyone know if they make "audiophile-grade" USB input AND output jacks. I'm looking to mod my Ayre DX-5 DSD DAC. It has one stock USB output, which I'd like to replace with state-of-the-art equivalent. Can anyone recommend anything decent?

Thank you, guys, for your help and sorry to post an "off-the-topic" question in this thread.:confused:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Mike, Folsom, I'm struggling to figure out where on this forum to post the following question:

Does anyone know if they make "audiophile-grade" USB input AND output jacks. I'm looking to mod my Ayre DX-5 DSD DAC. It has one stock USB output, which I'd like to replace with state-of-the-art equivalent. Can anyone recommend anything decent?

Thank you, guys, for your help and sorry to post an "off-the-topic" question in this thread.:confused:

hello Ayreman,

my guess is that they don't make line level or digital jacks from the NCF material since it needs to be activated by heat of an A/C current to throw off the negative ions.

no doubt Furutech likely sells USB and digital interfaces of some sort but not related to these products. maybe someone can recommend USB and other digital jacks which perform well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing