JBL Project Everest DD66000

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
We see many threads about the Q5, MAXX3, Alexandria, all very expensive, but little talk about this fantastic project. I was never able to listen to it, but besides wideness (and cost ...) , seems the ideal speaker for a multi- woofer system. Has anyone an informed opinion on it?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I heard these in Tokyo fed by Accuphase mono-bolck amps. Surprisingly smooth and articulate without any megaphone like colorations. The only drawback is that the Everest and their brothers are of only average sensitivity in the low 90s. They like juice and the local deler told me that as with the Array line, flea powered SETs would not be ideal.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The only drawback is that the Everest and their brothers are of only average sensitivity in the low 90s.

Jack,
Are you sure? The specification sheet I have claims 96dB/W with a very nice impedance curve.
It is why they attracted my attention. :confused:

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
I heard these in Tokyo fed by Accuphase mono-bolck amps. Surprisingly smooth and articulate without any megaphone like colorations. The only drawback is that the Everest and their brothers are of only average sensitivity in the low 90s. They like juice and the local deler told me that as with the Array line, flea powered SETs would not be ideal.

I spoke with Jonathan Weiss of Oswalds Mill Audio about the Everests last evening in part due to this thread. Neither he nor I have had the privilege of hearing these speakers. But, as Jack just mentioned and was confirmed by Jonathan, the Everests have a sensitivity in the mid 90s. Though my OMA New Yorker speakers have been compared in appearance to the Everests, they use Professional horn drivers with a sensitivity of 105 dB/1w/1m. Jonathan and OMA had selected these drivers and designed the speakers so that they could use low powered SETs and to still demonstrate all of the positives (again without megaphone like coloration) of these large horn speakers.

Rich

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jack,
Are you sure? The specification sheet I have claims 96dB/W with a very nice impedance curve.
It is why they attracted my attention. :confused:

I'm afraid so. That's 96dB 2.83V@1m. That translates to about only 93dB/1w/1m.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Via PM, Microstrip pointed something out that needs correction on my part. The Everest is indeed 96dB/1watt/1m following the formula. Thanks for the correction Francisco :)

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
The only drawback is that the Everest and their brothers are of only average sensitivity in the low 90s. They like juice and the local deler told me that as with the Array line, flea powered SETs would not be ideal.

I have a pair of 1400 Array Be Clones and they are indeed about 91db 1 watt. The 9900 is about 93db and the Everest at 96db. You can Biamp the Everest so you could run a smaller amp up top for the 2 Be compression drivers. Everyone I know who has heard them was impressed by them. There is a thread over on Lansing Heritage about them at the CAS you might want to check it out

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?28824-Everest-II-Audition

Rob:)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing