Soundsmith vs Dyna Sound

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I am wanting know what the difference in sound is from these two co.? If anyone has info please comment.

jay

Me too. I have a Dyna DV20x2L and am looking for a lusher midrange..I hear Soundsmith cartridges like the Boheme might get me there.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Me too. I have a Dyna DV20x2L and am looking for a lusher midrange..I hear Soundsmith cartridges like the Boheme might get me there.

I've heard that Dyna many times, never the SS. Can you accommodate a low output mc? If so, the Ortofon Cadenza Bronze is a superbly built cart, sonically it easily compares to it's bigger, more expensive brethren, w/a tad more mid-range warmth ... might just be your ticket.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've heard that Dyna many times, never the SS. Can you accommodate a low output mc? If so, the Ortofon Cadenza Bronze is a superbly built cart, sonically it easily compares to it's bigger, more expensive brethren, w/a tad more mid-range warmth ... might just be your ticket.
The Dyna is a LOMC, so yes. I had an Ortofon 2M Black on my old (now sold) Nottingham and I quite liked it. The Cadenza Bronze might be another option therefore, but first I really want to audition a Soundsmith, if I can. I just found out that there's a dealer in Calgary who sells them, so I'm hoping he has either the Boheme or Aida for me to listen to. I'd bring my Marantz PM-KI-Pearl integrated to hook up with as I'm using the internal MM/MC phonostage.

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
Johnny, should have stated lower output mc, thinking you used the HOMC version. That Dyna is very well built also, a very popular option in these hills, one audiophile I know uses it on his very expensive direct drive VPI and won't budge higher. In retrospect, considering your lower output model ... not nearly as certain the Ort.Bronze represents a worthwhile difference, so I'd probably stay the course and spend the money on music or some other endeavor.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Have you thought about an Audio Note Io1?
I have not, no. Just had a brief look at the site and some reviews and it seems like that would be out of my financial realm.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Johnny, should have stated lower output mc, thinking you used the HOMC version. That Dyna is very well built also, a very popular option in these hills, one audiophile I know uses it on his very expensive direct drive VPI and won't budge higher. In retrospect, considering your lower output model ... not nearly as certain the Ort.Bronze represents a worthwhile difference, so I'd probably stay the course and spend the money on music or some other endeavor.

I'll be staying the course for a while, but I know I want a change or at least an opportunity to listen to alternatives. .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing