Dynaudio active speakers- the primary high end audio system form factor of the future

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
It's the studio guys who rave about these speakers the most. The guys who are there. It's a much more popular speaker with these guys.

On another note I actually used to own some dynaudio passives (not actives). The contour s3.4 - enjoyed them actually. They have a great tweeter especially in the confidence line. Not so enamoured with the master evidence though - great detail, big soundstage, but sounds very dry on the numerous times I heard them.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
On another note I actually used to own some dynaudio passives (not actives). The contour s3.4 - enjoyed them actually. They have a great tweeter especially in the confidence line. Not so enamoured with the master evidence though - great detail, big soundstage, but sounds very dry on the numerous times I heard them.

I've always been a big fan of the Dynaudio soft domes. It's been 20 years since I built my first speaker with them. First was the D28, then the Esotec. I love the sound. I recently went to listen to the Confidence C4's (latest version) and I instantly got that same feeling again like when I first built those speakers 20 years ago. They know how to build a soft dome, that's for sure. Also I don't think anyone has perfected the poly cone formulation better than them, besides Audio technology of course. But of course Dynaudio was co-founded by Ejvind Skanning who founded Audio technology. Probably the most important man living today when it comes to loudspeaker driver technology. It's a real shame both Dynaudio, and Scan-Speak sold out to the Chinese.

A little history lesson:

http://www.cfuttrup.com/history/ejvind_skaaning.html

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi A-Bill,

Thanks for your reply. I've heard these, a little bit, and am favorably impressed. If I can, I'm going to bring some simply mic'd recording I've made --
2 analog mics (Schoeps) --> analog mic preamp (Gordon) --> Korg MR2000S recording @ DSD128 -- and give the system more critical listening time.

The room is pretty good...some low frequency room nodes -- of course, which rooms haven't ;)

Sam

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Do you know why almost every speaker manufacturer does not DSP their speakers to death? Because it ends up sounding like crap. The result is truncated reverb and loss of fine detail, it takes away a lot of the listeners connection with the music because spatial cues and fine details are missing. Just about every mfg'er I know has tried it, and it makes for a speaker that measures better but sounds worse.

This is why Bruno believes IIR is superior to FIR. I agree. With my research I've found I only like gentle FIR under 120hz. Bruno uses gentle FIR with these only to correct phase distortion.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Ah, thanks Mike. I thought that was a port when I looked at it.

Tom

No problem. Yes has a waveguide on it, and looks a bit like a port.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing