The official audio myth busting thread

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Is there a new issue or test methodology?

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hello Mike, my acceptance of the challenge is to not accept any excuses as to why it couldn't be performed. If there is a challenge presented, we can figure out a way to make it happen. I won't give any excuses as to why I couldn't do it, nor should the other party.....even if you aren't there to oversee said challenge.

Just line it up, set up the parameters, qualifications and all angles to debunk either way prior to the test and I am game. ;)

Blind, double blind or whatever else the parameters call for, I am game. My ears have not lied to me yet. While I do not look forward to being proven otherwise, I am up to said challenge regardless of the results. I trust my ears.

Tom

The only way I would present a challenge, is if I was going to be physically present. Otherwise, there would be no way to know if it was preformed accurately. The challenger must be physically present in order for this to work.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
So already we have an excuse as to why it can't happen. Not a good excuse Mike. Have a representative. Have two or three. Have 4 or 5. I do not care.

What I do care about is excuses as to why this can not be performed. I have accepted said challenge. Make it happen.

Come to my house, I will officially and publicly invite you. Perform your challenge here with as many witnesses you can provide. I have some local folks that can confirm anything here as well, regardless of the results.

Tom

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
So already we have an excuse as to why it can't happen. Not a good excuse Mike. Have a representative. Have two or three. Have 4 or 5. I do not care.

What I do care about is excuses as to why this can not be performed. I have accepted said challenge. Make it happen.

Come to my house, I will officially and publicly invite you. Perform your challenge here with as many witnesses you can provide. I have some local folks that can confirm anything here as well, regardless of the results.

Tom

Well I'm not flying down to SC just for a challenge. Besides all the right gear will be required. The idea of this as mentioned in the first post was the challenge is to be performed between different parties with opposing views who live in the same region.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hmmm. I see that you won't accept said challenge unless you are present. This has been documented (just look 3 posts up).

Now you refer to your first post on the thread. Okay, fine. No problem. I will accept the lie above if you will accept the fact that I will not accept any excuse as to why the acceptance of your challenge can not happen. Local or otherwise. Just make it happen. I trust my ears. Do you trust your test(s)?

Tom

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
This is Mike's thread, he started it...look @ the first post. • http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...busting-thread&p=371667&viewfull=1#post371667
It mentioned group "therapy" (reunion) for testing audio equipment, comparing, blind testing, hi-res audio music flies (and files), etc.

We are asked to come up with an audio myth and Mike is prepared to debunk it with witnesses present in real life.
People like me who live on the Island, that would represent a roughly 12 hours trip one way (ferry, cars, etc.). ...For others living in the Seattle area, and for me too, taking the plane would be faster and probably cheaper too. And renting a room @ the nearest hotel, or motel.

It requires true dedication. It is not a given. But the intention is solid, valid, pure and beneficial I am totally convinced.

Busting an audio myth is no simple challenge; it's a real-life down-to-earth experiment and objective/subjective analysis/evaluation, a scientific set of concrete proofs to arrive @ an evidence(s)/confirmation of the closest possible to absolute truth (busting the myth for real good; spanking/snap/zip the bug with a spatula or the back of a spoon, with blood underneath meaning real death occurred, and verifying the time and place of last breath)...not a mickey mouse thing from Mars.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hmmm. I see that you won't accept said challenge unless you are present. This has been documented (just look 3 posts up).

Now you refer to your first post on the thread. Okay, fine. No problem. I will accept the lie above if you will accept the fact that I will not accept any excuse as to why the acceptance of your challenge can not happen. Local or otherwise. Just make it happen. I trust my ears. Do you trust your test(s)?

Tom

Not sure of what the lie is? I was clear from the beginning that the challenge was to be preformed with the challenger present. I trust my ears just fine, but only my ears if it's my challenge. I'm still confused to what the challenge even is?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
This is Mike's thread, he started it...look @ the first post. It mentioned group "therapy" (reunion) for testing audio equipment, comparing, blind testing, hi-res audio music flies, etc.

We are asked to come up with an audio myth and Mike is prepared to debunk it with witnesses present in real life.
People like me who live on the Island, that would represent a roughly 12 hours trip one way (ferry, cars, etc.). ...For others living in the Seattle area, and for me too, taking the plane would be faster and probably cheaper too. And renting a room @ the nearest hotel, or motel.

It requires true dedication. It is not a given. But the intention is solid, valid, pure and beneficial I am totally convinced.

Busting an audio myth is no simple challenge; it's a real-life down-to-earth experiment and objective/subjective analysis/evaluation, a scientific set of concrete proofs to arrive @ an evidence(s)/confirmation of the closet possible to absolute truth (busting the myth for real good; spanking the bug with a spatula, with blood underneath meaning real death)...not a mickey mouse thing from Mars.
Bob, I love's ya' bro' but the poetic acid trip talk has got to be condensed into something that normal folks can understand.

Can you provide the Cliff notes on your latest post please? Thank you sir.

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Not sure of what the lie is? I was clear from the beginning that the challenge was to be preformed with the challenger present. I trust my ears just fine, but only my ears if it's my challenge. I'm still confused to what the challenge even is?
You or the forum names the audio debunking challenge. I am game to whatever it is that you present. You do remember that this is "The official audio myth busting thread", right? You created it so I would assume that you do. With that said....

Forget the lie. Do you personally need to be present for a debunk or not?

Simple question.

Tom

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Bob, I love's ya' bro' but the poetic acid trip talk has got to be condensed into something that normal folks can understand.

Can you provide the Cliff notes on your latest post please? Thank you sir.

Tom

Sure Tom; find your audio myth first, then travel to Mike's place to verify/test/analyse and debunk it if ultimately, confirmed by the logic of necessity, voila. :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Main tagline of Mikes first original post:

"So I've given this a lot of thought on how we can go about busting these myth's. I think the only way would be to find different individual's or groups who live in nearby cities, and have opposing views on what's right or what's wrong, and arrange a get together to actually demonstrate both ways of doing things in person. Then record the process, upload to youtube, and share the link on this thread.

In order for this to be an success, both parties must have enough confidence in their viewpoint to actually go though with the meeting, and openly share the result footage on this thread. So what I suggest for people to do who want a myth busted, is to propose a challenge on this thread, and see if there's any other members in the region who have an opposing view and would like to officially bust the opposite point of view. Once busted, if the busted myth is ever brought up again, anywhere on the forum, a link to this thread can simply be shared.

Just imagine how much better this industry would be if all of these crazy myths were dispelled! "

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
You or the forum names the audio debunking challenge. I am game to whatever it is that you present. You do remember that this is "The official audio myth busting thread", right? You created it so I would assume that you do. With that said....

Forget the lie. Do you personally need to be present for a debunk or not?

Simple question.

Tom

If it's my challenge then yes I will need to be there to see everything is preformed properly. But I haven't presented any challenge yet. And nobody has as far as I've read.

But I can imagine we will never find any vinyl and tube guys presenting challenges vs digital and SS. This is because they would be too afraid to lose :)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Okay Bob, that I can understand sir. Thanks for clarifying.

My question is this. Mike presented the challenge. I accepted with the condition that there be no excuses. Now answer me this...it's his challenge right? Why should I be the one to fork out money for HIS experiment?

If the forum would pay for my trip up there, that's one thing but why should I bow down to his demands? He made the challenge, I accepted. He can have as many reps as he wants to come to my house to see if the challenge is properly done. There are many WBF members near me that can attest and record said challenge. I trust my ears.

I said no excuses as to why this challenge can not be performed and her it is less than an hour or so and we have many. Hmmmm. Let's give it 24 hours and see why else this challenge can not happen once accepted.

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Sure Tom; find your audio myth first. <snip>
I am game to whatever challenge he presents for an audio "myth buster". Let the forum decide or let Mike decide. I am game regardless. How many times do I need to state this?

Tom

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Okay Bob, that I can understand sir. Thanks for clarifying.

My question is this. Mike presented the challenge. I accepted with the condition that there be no excuses. Now answer me this...it's his challenge right? Why should I be the one to fork out money for HIS experiment?

If the forum would pay for my trip up there, that's one thing but why should I bow down to his demands? He made the challenge, I accepted. He can have as many reps as he wants to come to my house to see if the challenge is properly done. There are many WBF members near me that can attest and record said challenge. I trust my ears.

I said no excuses as to why this challenge can not be performed and her it is less than an hour or so and we have many. Hmmmm. Let's give it 24 hours and see why else this challenge can not happen once accepted.

Tom

I haven't presented any challenges. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
See my thread, Tips for ABX.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
If it's my challenge then yes I will need to be there to see everything is preformed properly. But I haven't presented any challenge yet. And nobody has as far as I've read.

But I can imagine we will never find any vinyl and tube guys presenting challenges vs digital and SS. This is because they would be too afraid to lose :)
Hmmm, okay Mike. So your challenge is much like Randi's challenge. Everybody else spends their dime to prove or unprove your point. We all know that this forum is an experiment for you, so I will not fall game to this.

FACT - I accepted your challenge.

FACT - I accepted no excuses as to why this challenge could not happen.

FACT - I will accept any challenge the forum or any member thereof challenges me to.

FACT - The excuses have changed since the acceptance of said challenge. My question is how many more excuses/changes must occur before said challenge happens?

FACT - I love vinyl, tubes and digital.

FACT - Once again, I will accept any challenge presented, I will accept the video, I will accept witnesses, I have no excuses. All I am getting is excuses though.

Explain why this isn't a fair challenge to me again?

Tom

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hmmm, okay Mike. So your challenge is much like Randi's challenge. Everybody else spends their dime to prove or unprove your point. We all know that this forum is an experiment for you, so I will not fall game to this.

FACT - I accepted your challenge.

FACT - I accepted no excuses as to why this challenge could not happen.

FACT - I will accept any challenge the forum or any member thereof challenges me to.

FACT - The excuses have changed since the acceptance of said challenge. My question is how many more excuses/changes must occur before challenge happens.

FACT - I love both vinyl, tubes and digital.

FACT - once again, I will accept any challenge presented, I will accept the video, I will accept witnesses, I have no excuses. All I am getting is excuses though.

Explain why this isn't a fair challenge to me again?

Tom

I never even presented a challenge. What are you talking about?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Tom, read the first post first.

And I think Mike would be willing, if possible and with few individuals present (people of high trust and integrity), to even travel to your place.
And gear not too large so that you can easily transport it in car or pickup truck, without renting a five-tons (for extra large loudspeakers).
...Things that can be realistically done, and without investing a large sum of money, and with a group of people willing to share the expenses between them, or contributing similarly/equally (time, love and money). In audio, that's one aspect of passion. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing