The official audio myth busting thread

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Mike, I don't know exactly why a deletion; I suspect an opinion was shared on a high end company's name or some' like that.
Perhaps you can rephrase with meticulous care as to not upset the winds of human nature... :b

<<Off topic>> We have the power to move ahead and be creative/inventive with regained interest on the things we love (audio revitalization).
Any bifurcation from that avenue is our choice, any criticizing, any opinion/impression of the content of texts and dictées, is valid.
When the personal equation enters the science of advancement in analytical discussions...it is of my belief that we retrogress. ...That's all.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Mike, I don't know exactly why a deletion; I suspect an opinion was shared on a high end company's name or some' like that.
Perhaps you can rephrase with meticulous care as to not upset the winds of human nature... :b

Sorry, it was my mistake and I edited. I was on the wrong thread and didn't realize it. I thought my posts were deleted :)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Good luck. May be you'll have better success than I have had.

We have a pretty open-minded group in the Pacific Northwest Audio Society. Members are willing to listen, and then discuss. However, myth busting may be fun, but it is an exhausting undertaking, and changes no minds. Here's a link to one that I organized. Took two and a half months of tremendous effort - myth was busted but no minds were changed.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?2632-The-Digital-Analog-Dialectic

We even did a comparison between "Live" vs "Recorded" sound.

[video]https://youtu.be/BLZObZ53YmY[/video]

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Sorry, it was my mistake and I edited. I was on the wrong thread and didn't realize it. I thought my posts were deleted :)

Lol

An audio myth? --> Insecurity on our perceived music listening sessions. ...And the pursuit of audio excellence. ...The system: us, or the gear?
...Or the music we listen to with our state of mind in the moment.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Lol

An audio myth? --> Insecurity on our perceived music listening sessions. ...And the pursuit of audio excellence. ...The system: us, or the gear?
I need more coffee.....

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Good luck. May be you'll have better success than I have had.

We have a pretty open-minded group in the Pacific Northwest Audio Society. Members are willing to listen, and then discuss. However, myth busting may be fun, but it is an exhausting undertaking, and changes no minds. Here's a link to one that I organized. Took two and a half months of tremendous effort - myth was busted but no minds were changed.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?2632-The-Digital-Analog-Dialectic

We even did a comparison between "Live" vs "Recorded" sound.

[video]https://youtu.be/BLZObZ53YmY[/video]

Cool experiment Gary. Yes I know what your saying. Like religion, when the faith is that strong, there's no changing minds. But it would be good fun anyways, and make for good conversation and video's to watch :) When it's on tape, nobody can deny it. What I'm thinking is something like have a vinyl rig and a digital rig behind a curtain and compare the vinyl vs a DSD 256 vinyl rip, and have the biggest vinyl fanatics pick out which is which. And have them on tape when they make the choice. It would be golden to have it on tape if they picked the digital copy :)

Or same with R2R vs quad DSD copy of R2R.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Lol

Just reading fast on my phone and not realize which thread I was on. I'm like WTF, what happened to all my posts. They weren't even bad.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Cool experiment Gary. Yes I know what your saying. Like religion, when the faith is that strong, there's no changing minds. But it would be good fun anyways, and make for good conversation and video's to watch :) When it's on tape, nobody can deny it. What I'm thinking is something like have a vinyl rig and a digital rig behind a curtain and compare the vinyl vs a DSD 256 vinyl rip, and have the biggest vinyl fanatics pick out which is which. And have them on tape when they make the choice. It would be golden to have it on tape if they picked the digital copy :)

Or same with R2R vs quad DSD copy of R2R.

(I love to say begs the question. )So it begs the queston. Why would it not be great for an open minded person like yourself- if they consistently picked vinyl. Even better if you consistently picked vinyl. I would love to see the look on your face. Smile

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I remember that thread. It was not a statistically valid experiment, but pretty well-controlled and conducted for a hobby club test. It changed no minds. People were back to the view that the differences between digital and analog are night and day...that digital doesn't even sound like music...the usual hyperbole...within days.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I remember it too. They/Gary put a lot of effort in it and as noted, did not have an effect. It is OK though as I am mining the playlist Gary used there for future enjoyment. :)

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
(I love to say begs the question. )So it begs the queston. Why would it not be great for an open minded person like yourself- if they consistently picked vinyl. Even better if you consistently picked vinyl. I would love to see the look on your face. Smile

Here is a fun suggestion for a myth buster, Blizzard. You don't live far from Seattle. Visit Mike L. and Joel Durand. Take a video of yourself listening to their turntables and describe what you hear for the viewer. No controlled testing would be necessary.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Here is a fun suggestion for a myth buster, Blizzard. You don't live far from Seattle. Visit Mike L. and Joel Durand. Take a video of yourself listening to their turntables and describe what you hear for the viewer. No controlled testing would be necessary.

I never once claimed that if you spend north of 100K that you can't get good sound out of a turntable setup. But I do think we are at the point today with quad DSD, that a copy of the vinyl rig played back trough a good quad DSD capable DAC would be indistinguishable from the vinyl.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I remember it too. They/Gary put a lot of effort in it and as noted, did not have an effect. It is OK though as I am mining the playlist Gary used there for future enjoyment. :)

Good call.

Tim

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello all, I will accept said challenge. I have won some on other forums with 40-50 witnesses, challenged Randi whatever his name is and I am not afraid to admit that my ears may be wrong. To date, my ears have not lied.

So with that said, I will accept any challenge one throws at me. I will accept the video recording of it as well. What I will not accept is excuses as to why the accepted challenge can not be performed. Time will tell and I will be on this Earth for some time. Present the challenge, present all angles to disbelief of said challenge *beforehand* and let's get this done. No excuses. I trust my ears.

Would you trust your test is the question? Regardless of the outcome.

Tom

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hello all, I will accept said challenge. I have won some on other forums with 40-50 witnesses, challenged Randi whatever his name is and I am not afraid to admit that my ears may be wrong. To date, my ears have not lied.

So with that said, I will accept any challenge one throws at me. I will accept the video recording of it as well. What I will not accept is excuses as to why the accepted challenge can not be performed. Time will tell and I will be on this Earth for some time. Present the challenge, present all angles to disbelief of said challenge *beforehand* and let's get this done. No excuses. I trust my ears.

Would you trust your test is the question? Regardless of the outcome.

Tom

What is the said challenge?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
You name it. Let the forum decide.

Tom

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
You name it. Let the forum decide.

Tom

Nobody lives around me, so any of my challenges will likely never happen. Unless someone wants to travel.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello Mike, my acceptance of the challenge is to not accept any excuses as to why it couldn't be performed. If there is a challenge presented, we can figure out a way to make it happen. I won't give any excuses as to why I couldn't do it, nor should the other party.....even if you aren't there to oversee said challenge.

Just line it up, set up the parameters, qualifications and all angles to debunk either way prior to the test and I am game. ;)

Blind, double blind or whatever else the parameters call for, I am game. My ears have not lied to me yet. While I do not look forward to being proven otherwise, I am up to said challenge regardless of the results. I trust my ears.

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Blizzard wins. I request that we stay on topic please.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing