The official audio myth busting thread

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hi Guys,

I just started my experience with forum culture a few months ago. It's part of an aggressive research program designed to see where the average audiophile is at today regarding their audio gear based beliefs. It's actually been quite a shocking experience to say the least. One thing I've really noticed is, there's so many arguments that can never be settled over the forum anyways, simply because the party who's wrong, is too stubborn to acknowledge that this is the case. So rather than pointless arguments, why not come up with a solution instead?

So I've given this a lot of thought on how we can go about busting these myth's. I think the only way would be to find different individual's or groups who live in nearby cities, and have opposing views on what's right or what's wrong, and arrange a get together to actually demonstrate both ways of doing things in person. Then record the process, upload to youtube, and share the link on this thread.

In order for this to be an success, both parties must have enough confidence in their viewpoint to actually go though with the meeting, and openly share the result footage on this thread. So what I suggest for people to do who want a myth busted, is to propose a challenge on this thread, and see if there's any other members in the region who have an opposing view and would like to officially bust the opposite point of view. Once busted, if the busted myth is ever brought up again, anywhere on the forum, a link to this thread can simply be shared.

Just imagine how much better this industry would be if all of these crazy myths were dispelled!

Anyone with a strong opinion on a controversial matter, and refuses to even take part in a challenge, can officially be called a chicken :)

What does everyone think about this idea?

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Jun 26, 2014
Tampa
Cool!

Start with me.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Fantastic thread Mike!

? Here's something I think about every day: How to best capture a musical performance and to accurately reproduce it @ home with so much pleasance that the emotions travel all around us, from all directions; sideways, above and below? ...All in perfect sync and harmony.

?? Two: Stereo, and multichannel.

Brief, the art of recording and mixing. ...Sounds, and sounds of music. ...The art of audio @ the service of the best musical experience.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Fantastic thread Mike!

? Here's something I think about every day: How to best capture a musical performance and to accurately reproduce it @ home with so much pleasance that the emotions travel all around us, from all directions; sideways, above and below? ...All in perfect sync and harmony.

?? Two: Stereo, and multichannel.

Brief, the art of recording and mixing. ...Sounds, and sounds of music. ...The art of audio @ the service of the best musical experience.

Pop by my place and I will bust any of the myth's out there that this can't be done with class D, digital and SS components :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I think Ray meant that he is the myth. :b

* He perhaps need to be explored, tested, compared, analysed, and youtubed...myth exposed. :D

More like the legend than the myth :) Who else made it to see Bowie back in 74 at the Curtis Hixon Convention Centre driving a 73 Pinto?

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Kelowna is a good distance from the Island, and here on the Island there is a great community of diy people, tube people too. Victoria is a sweet town for sweet people, and smart people. You know the diy audio site already Mike, and the Canadian spirit...with a low loonie right now. :D

I am waiting for the first serious member to post his first myth. :b ...Your thread's idea is excellent; will it fly with people assembling together @ one spot and do some blind testing, and exploration into the black hole...the dark force of the audio interplanetary system...we are all tuning in and waiting for the next bus to Marrakesh from Casablanca...

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Kelowna is a good distance from the Island, and here on the Island there is a great community of diy people, tube people too. Victoria is a sweet town for sweet people, and smart people. You know the diy audio site already Mike, and the Canadian spirit...with a low loonie right now. :D

I am waiting for the first serious member to post his first myth. :b ...Your thread's idea is excellent; will it fly with people assembling together @ one spot and do some blind testing, and exploration into the black hole...the dark force of the audio interplanetary system...we are all tuning in and waiting for the next bus to Marrakech from Casablanca...

Only a couple hours away :) I'd gladly bring my system by your place once ready. I'm going to go on a tour with it once the prototype is built, gathering unbiased honest opinions from audiophiles. I will encourage honesty, and take notes as I go. Once I return, I will use the feedback to determine if changes need to be done or not.

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I appreciate the effort, and seen it before. It won't work.

The 1st thing to think about is how there's no chance you'll get a vast majority of people to alter their beliefs based on information posted on an internet forum, and how attempting to do so only causes animosity... hence the lack of eager participation in this thread.

Sorry, not trying to be a downer, but as I've said... seen it before. Doesn't work.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Blizzard - Do you know richteer? He's in Kelowna as well.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
We are not that much farther away so put me on your tour stop :).

I will for sure. Seattle was my 1st planned stop. I can stop by your place after Mike L's :)

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Blizzard - Do you know richteer? He's in Kelowna as well.

I hardly know anyone here. We just moved here 2.5 years ago, and I spent most of my time in Northern Alberta and B.C in the oilfield. Now that the oilfield has crashed, I decided to screw it and rather than sell my soul for peanuts to the bastards, I'll focus on what I'm passionate about instead. I also have some other stuff on the go in the renewable energy sector.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I hardly know anyone here. We just moved here 2.5 years ago, and I spent most of my time in Northern Alberta and B.C in the oilfield. Now that the oilfield has crashed, I decided to screw it and rather than sell my soul for peanuts to the bastards, I'll focus on what I'm passionate about instead. I also have some other stuff on the go in the renewable energy sector.
I might be passing by this Spring.....Kelowna that is.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

The 1st thing to think about is how there's no chance you'll get a vast majority of people to alter their beliefs based on information posted on an internet forum, and how attempting to do so only causes animosity... hence the lack of eager participation in this thread.

Sorry, not trying to be a downer, but as I've said... seen it before. Doesn't work.

I tend to agree with Dave here; but on the other end the exact opposite can happen...it all depends...of the high intensity level from some people to share their past experience (we've read it before, and right here too among several other places), and/or to pursue newer ones...on certain particular aspects of music recording and reproduction.

* Mike, if you come sometime on the Island, no matter if you have some gear or not, it will be an honor to make your acquaintance.
And I'll do the same if I go visit in the Okanagan, I will let you know.

Last edited:

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015

I'm not expecting 100% of people to take anything from this. However if 1% does, I'll consider it a smashing success :)

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
I tend to agree with Dave here; but on the other end the exact opposite can happen...it all depends...of the high intensity level from some people to share their past experience (we've read it before, and right here too among several other places), and/or to pursue newer ones...on certain particular aspects of music recording and reproduction.

* Mike, if you come sometime on the Island, no matter if you have some gear or not, it will be an honor to make your acquaintance.
And I'll do the same if I go visit in the Okanagan, I will let you know.

Anyways, I'll let you know if I pass by. I would be honoured to meet you as well :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing