Testing PASS LABS XP25

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
So,
Yesterday the PASS LAB dealer came to my house and brought the XP25 with him for a few hours (he wanted to let me audition it for a few more days but couldn't due to it is his only demo unit).

As I mentioned in the other thread i opened here a few days ago;
I had on the table another DEAL* to consider in parallel about the Brinkman Edison but without evaluate it at all,
*in a price that is become very alluring of course.

The pivots point I needed to check for my self to choose the hefty cost Pass v.s the Brinkman Deal* - was:

1 - the hum issue I was reading about a few days now almost wherever I encounter a "talk" about the XP25 -
Something I will be dismissing it on the spot! If its so noticeable and can't be figure out in a two second solution.
(I have a very small music room and logistically can't effort to "play" with PSU location so much etc.).
2 - Liveliness of sound - I would like a Very Vivid and dynamic sound phono stage.
3 - tonal and clear separation.
4 - tonality and natural Timbre
5 - bass and highs extensions
I would evaluate more then this list, but to light on my main things that will do.

I was compered the Pass to a 5000$ tube phono stage that was a miss match with my other system components, but nevertheless sound very good in overall as much i could tell after two weeks in my place and several times in other places and systems i know and didn't heard before (it sounded better in other systems then mine).

1 - we were stacking the PASS controller on top the PSU (as i mentioned i have a very small room and a lot of components in my system, so its "a bit" Tight in here.
Turn the knobs to the right tuning to match my Cartridge (Acoustical Systems "The Archon") and un-mute my preamp, turning the volume to listening level and not so much silence were heard, a slight hum noise was out from the speakers. Small room, very quiet, and acoustic - room = you could hear mouse fart in the corner (pardon my French).

Going to my sweet spot = no hum is detected, but i know its there (OCD) - i was thinking – “the demo is done - game over”. But, we talked about it before and decided to check one thing before we call it the day. We decided to try elevating the controller as much as we can (on the same shelf!) to gap them as far as the middle 24cm shelf will let us.
Every box on the XP25 is 10cm (oh sorry about the meter method) so i can gap them approx' 4-4.5 cm between them (actually its 5cm because of the controller own feet)
We took some footers i had and brought the controller higher above the PSU - the HUM reduced Dramatically even with my ear close to the speaker, and with a much higher volume on the preamp dial (a point I will never reach!) that way we dismissed the hum problem everyone talked about, and got on with some music (i can tell you i was excited we succeeded on my own tight rack, and went forward with the test).

BTW - the pass dealer who came to demo the unit, was never encountered this problem before, nor at his place or in other customers rooms. when i asked him where the PSU were in every situation - he confirmed it was in another shelf, away from the controller - so that does it. End of problem. I know pass and every manufacture that build double or triple chasse audio units suggest keeping them apart from each other.

The rest of the session, as I was mentioned before were all about listen to music. I’ve put some very dynamic classical music, a lot of quiet and explosive crescendos, rock, blues, jazz. Vocal, to name a few, or everything I could think of to challenge the XP25.
The result was as expected – this unit is a “reference” in the audio world and not for granted. (I admit I do not have any experience with ultra high-end phono stages in my system. Actually this is the most expensive phono stage I heard in here (my house) ever).

The dynamics was just over the chart! This thing is a locomotive in full speed.
It is a Very resolution minded and clear sounding. The details were on the very high level and together with my new cart from AS, I was breath taken.
I wanted a vivid phono stage and maybe the XP25 might feel too much for some -for me - it was dead on!
The XP25 is Establishes layers on layers as he plays along, and you can hear every bit of music no matter how far or deep it is on the grove. and, on every frequency your speaker can deliver forward!

The lack of lush mid and a bit of TUBE bloom, are missing to my ears and taste (comparing to the very rich tube phono stage I have right now), but I will live with that (when it’s a mild complaint vs the huge differences I’m getting in other layers of sound) and will try to fine-tune those in the future with other elements on the analog path. I have a huge some already (lush mid and bloom), from a big custom made tube amps and pre I’m using. I think what I was always said about keeping the cart and phono pre, as transparent and clear sounding as possible hitting me back when I tried differently (its all me to blame, but not a general saying about all tube phono stages!!!).
The PASS xp25 is a huge sounding with not a dry SS presentation. Its actually very musical instrument to my ears. It is detailed and very dynamic to name a few of his strength. It is not a Tube like pre. It is the best phono stage PASS was came out with (till now with the XS of course) and you can hear it no doubt.

All I can do right now is save for it for a while and buy this thing, hopping its my “Last” phono stage (mmm…)

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
The 2 box pass phono will hum if they're placed on top of each other?

Does it mean that 1-box pass phono will hum even more - since the ps and phono electronics are all contained within 1 box?

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
I have no idea how the XP15 (or earlier less expensive) will react to your (or others) system.
the XP25 was humming when put together but a 5cm gap between them was clearly "end" the issue with upmost success (for me anyway).
if i had more room to get it higher, or better - in another shelf all together, away from my amps etc, it will be the ideal placement i guess (for any phono preamp if that matter)

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
My Pass Labs Aleph Ono is dead quiet.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Can anyone verify this statement?

...The single chassis XP-15 easily bests the sonic performance of it’s predecessor the X-ono.....

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
My Pass Labs Aleph Ono is dead quiet.

I have owned the Aleph Ono, the Xono and the XP25. Each has been very quiet in my system. I did directly compare the Xono to the XP25. I actually thought they were very similar sounding with just a slight advantage to the XP25. It seemed to have slightly more resolution which I heard in timbral accuracy and a slightly more natural sound. I preferred single ended ICs with the Xono and now prefer balanced ICs with the XP25. I would think that the one box XP15 would be a great value, especially used, but I have never heard it.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I have owned the Aleph Ono, the Xono and the XP25. Each has been very quiet in my system. I did directly compare the Xono to the XP25. I actually thought they were very similar sounding with just a slight advantage to the XP25. It seemed to have slightly more resolution which I heard in timbral accuracy and a slightly more natural sound. I preferred single ended ICs with the Xono and now prefer balanced ICs with the XP25. I would think that the one box XP15 would be a great value, especially used, but I have never heard it.

Thanks, Peter

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
I think there always will be an upgrade in those series line in the same company, or else they putting a bullet to their legs.
from alph to XS, the sound will be better and better (adding other superlatives to the equation) we are just entering deeper to the realm of Laws of Diminishing Returns. that all.
This is WBF after all, no? (i'm new in here, but i get it ;-) )

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing