Trying to build a great system for less

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
Hi Guys,

I am looking to build an incredible system, much like I feel mine was, for much less. I plan to buy the Nord amplifiers, still have my Lumin T1 server w/ Lumin L1 NAS, and my Pipedream 18 speakers with a pair of JL F112 subs. I also have a VPI HR-X w/Van den Hul Colibri XGW. I would be happy to find a combination of preamp and phono that would work well with it, preferably on the level of a VAC Signature Mk II. However, I realize digital is getting significantly better and is a lot more convenient so I am giving serious thought to selling my analog rig at least temporarily and possibly even selling the Lumin if I can do better for less. I don't want to spend more than 5 on the pre/phono combination. Seeing as how I do not have the amps yet, I am open to the idea of an integrated for around 7 that will do the job well. I look forward to your guidance! I still have the VAC amps and love how they sound direct from the Lumin but I want to sell the amps and think there is potential for improvement to be made!

Best regards,
Stephen

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Try to get
1. An ASR phono
2. A Music First preamp from the Uk, pretty cheap and giant killer
3. Replace Lumin with a used Lampizator Big 7
4. Add Ultra Shun Mook diamond resonators under one component, source or pre.

I think you are in touch with Marty who owns Pipedreams, he also owns the ASR and the JL Gothams with CR1 crossovers (not sure if you have the CR1)

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
I do not have the CR1. I currently use the Pipedream active crossover. I was considering a Devialet D200, but the more I look the more I am starting to look other directions (as always happens). I keep my subs pretty much right to the corner of my pipedream speakers so the time delay is probably minimal. Eventually I will upgrade to the CR1. I will look into the components you mentioned now! Thanks!

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
I think the goal might have been overlooked. I am looking to make money for a downpayment on a house, not actually upgrade the system. I am aware I will likely be downgrading but I am trying to downgrade as little as possible while still using my Pipedream speakers with the JL Fathoms. I cannot bring myself to selling those.

stephen_volker

Nov 2, 2015
Also, the Lumin is a DAC Server combo. If I were to ditch the server I would need to get a new DAC and server.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Hi Stephen,

It sounds like what you're looking for is exactly what I'm building right now, minus the phono stage. I know of a few other alternatives that aren't ready for public unveil as well. PM me for details, and we can discuss if this would be a good fit for your needs.

Thanks,
Mike

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Devialet will do all you want and more. You dont even have to sell the analog rig , it has a superb phono stage. buy one used.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Devialet will do all you want and more. You dont even have to sell the analog rig , it has a superb phono stage. buy one used.

Yeah but the phono stage just digitizes the signal. Kind of defeats the purpose of going analog. I would gladly demo my suggestion vs the Devialet. Already have vs the 400, and I'm well aware of the outcome. So are the dealers that were present at the demo.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing