What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Two unexpectedly nice acquisitions of mine in the last fortnight. The first is a very nice performance and recording of the two Chopin concertos. I'm certainly no piano performance expert but I really like the performance and the string playing is superlative. Every one of those string players could be a soloist in their own right (and the liner notes say they were all specially recruited and all had to individually audition). The recording is actually extremely good by outright standards, let alone the fact that it is a 1999 digital one. The LP was cut (so I understand) from DG's 24/44.1 master (which in reality is more like a 21 bit recording in a 24 bit envelope). The only real caveat is that the low end is rather bloomy and it will certainly test the bass clarity and control of your system and your listening room acoustics and damping, lest it sound overly warm and cuddly. I did some further research into DG's "4D" recording since I well remember it first appearing in the early 90s. There is a really good run down of it here (and the actual LP I bought pictured below).

http://www.gammaelectronics.xyz/s_1993-DG-4D.html

ADGR_4796871__120720__12072016091926-8102.jpg

And now for one I almost missed altogether. Mainly because Acoustic Sounds decided to file this one under their Jazz section as opposed to the classical one. Well, I suppose you could argue for it both ways but for my money I've always regarded these Jazz Suite pieces as parody-like vignettes of the pre-war "cafe jazz" era as envisaged (in only the way Shostakovich can) for a small classical orchestral ensemble. Of course the piano and trumpet concerto sandwiched between the two jazz suites is more typical of Shostakovich's output but even it has somewhat of a jazzy "vibe" at times. Of course, you could just buy this LP for the awesome cover like I did :p

Sonically this won't necessarily blow anyone's socks off. I am not sure of the quality of the digital sources but it is a Decca digital recording from the early 90s. I'm not sure whether back then Decca were still using their bespoke 18 bit, 48 Khz system or whether they had moved to subcontractors "doing what they like" so to speak. But the engineer, Simon Eadon, was Decca trained through and through and the recording, though a little dry sounding and possessing some digital "edge" and brittleness at times, still does sound better than the previous CD issues (though that could come down to Sean Magee's remastering - Magee now having earned an extremely solid reputation for cutting classical LP releases for Universal). Put it this way - I've enjoyed this LP so much I've already played it three times in the first week and that says something for a regular classical record buyer!

ADEC_95501__119120__10132016025013-1144.jpg

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Listening to John Eliott Gardiner's with the MOnteverdi Choir, on original instruments. Digital on CD and doesn't need any ap;ogy. great sound, great work, greta Music. Likely multi miked but hardly intrusive... Ambiance is well captured and the entire oeuvre breathes. Serious, good, big .. somewhat, interestingly Bach-like but definitely Beethoven... haven't heard it for a while but Bach to it (pun intended). Highly recommended
81J11WlwALL._SX425_.jpg ...

don't know why the yuuuge picture :(
.. Solved :)

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Hi

Listening to John Eliott Gardiner's with the MOnteverdi Choir, on original instruments. Digital on CD and doesn't need any ap;ogy. great sound, great work, greta Music. Likely multi miked but hardly intrusive... Ambiance is well captured and the entire oeuvre breathes. Serious, good, big .. somewhat, interestingly Bach-like but definitely Beethoven... haven't heard it for a while but Bach to it (pun intended). Highly recommended
View attachment 31662 ...

don't know why the yuuuge picture :(
.. Solved :)

One of Gardiner's best recordings ever, IMO. A desert island disc for sure!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Original Issue recently acquired. One of the crown jewel's of my original issue mercury living presence collection.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    352.5 KB · Views: 183

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Two unexpectedly nice acquisitions of mine in the last fortnight. The first is a very nice performance and recording of the two Chopin concertos. I'm certainly no piano performance expert but I really like the performance and the string playing is superlative. Every one of those string players could be a soloist in their own right (and the liner notes say they were all specially recruited and all had to individually audition). The recording is actually extremely good by outright standards, let alone the fact that it is a 1999 digital one. The LP was cut (so I understand) from DG's 24/44.1 master (which in reality is more like a 21 bit recording in a 24 bit envelope). The only real caveat is that the low end is rather bloomy and it will certainly test the bass clarity and control of your system and your listening room acoustics and damping, lest it sound overly warm and cuddly. I did some further research into DG's "4D" recording since I well remember it first appearing in the early 90s. There is a really good run down of it here (and the actual LP I bought pictured below).

http://www.gammaelectronics.xyz/s_1993-DG-4D.html

View attachment 31659

And now for one I almost missed altogether. Mainly because Acoustic Sounds decided to file this one under their Jazz section as opposed to the classical one. Well, I suppose you could argue for it both ways but for my money I've always regarded these Jazz Suite pieces as parody-like vignettes of the pre-war "cafe jazz" era as envisaged (in only the way Shostakovich can) for a small classical orchestral ensemble. Of course the piano and trumpet concerto sandwiched between the two jazz suites is more typical of Shostakovich's output but even it has somewhat of a jazzy "vibe" at times. Of course, you could just buy this LP for the awesome cover like I did :p

Sonically this won't necessarily blow anyone's socks off. I am not sure of the quality of the digital sources but it is a Decca digital recording from the early 90s. I'm not sure whether back then Decca were still using their bespoke 18 bit, 48 Khz system or whether they had moved to subcontractors "doing what they like" so to speak. But the engineer, Simon Eadon, was Decca trained through and through and the recording, though a little dry sounding and possessing some digital "edge" and brittleness at times, still does sound better than the previous CD issues (though that could come down to Sean Magee's remastering - Magee now having earned an extremely solid reputation for cutting classical LP releases for Universal). Put it this way - I've enjoyed this LP so much I've already played it three times in the first week and that says something for a regular classical record buyer!

View attachment 31660

I also think the Jazz album is excellent. I've never really cottoned up to Shostakovich's symphonic works since it all basically sound like Russian military music circa 1930 although there are some exceptions. But the Jazz album is wonderful. Even better however is the companion album, the "Dance" album. Check it out.

4525972.jpg

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Original Issue recently acquired. One of the crown jewel's of my original issue mercury living presence collection.

One of my favorites too! If you like this Chris you should buy the Bach sonatas & partitas for solo violin too. My two favorites are Grumiaux & Kremer, you can't find two fantastically accomplished musicians with such differing styles playing the same piece of music; the contrast is wonderful.

david

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia

Awesome Christian. Although I have had to "settle" for the Speakers Corner reissues, I treasure mine nonetheless. I think the combination of Starker and Mercury put a whole new meaning to the term "legendary". He is by far my favourite cellist. And actually the first original Mercury LP I ever heard was SR90303 - his performance of the Dvorak concerto.

Actually, I acquired this AnalogPhonic reissue two weeks ago as well. Fantastic sound, fantastic performances:

Untitled.jpg

I also think the Jazz album is excellent. I've never really cottoned up to Shostakovich's symphonic works since it all basically sound like Russian military music circa 1930 although there are some exceptions. But the Jazz album is wonderful. Even better however is the companion album, the "Dance" album. Check it out.

Thank you! I had no idea this album even existed. I will definitely check it out!

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Awesome Christian. Although I have had to "settle" for the Speakers Corner reissues, I treasure mine nonetheless. I think the combination of Starker and Mercury put a whole new meaning to the term "legendary". He is by far my favourite cellist. And actually the first original Mercury LP I ever heard was SR90303 - his performance of the Dvorak concerto.

The speakers corner reissue box is brilliant sounding. In fact I listened to it before the mercury original auction came up to make sure I really wanted to pay up for the original knowing the record surfaces will not be as pristine and quiet as the reissue.

APP

Oct 1, 2014

Janos Starker recorded Bach's Cello Suites five times, two of which are available on CD. The first in 1965 for Mercury Living Presence, was a triumph. He set his reputation for technical perfection, sensitive phrasing and a supreme expressive intensity. Some, however, regard the transfer to CD as less than perfect.
That is a collectors item!
http://www.good-music-guide.com/reviews/065_bach_cello_suites.htm

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Really impressed with this outstanding new release of orchestral works by Simon Holt from British new music label NMC:

new holt.jpg

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Fabio was playing that Dvorak violin concerto from Tidal, don't remember which performance now, and I was taken by it, so I looked for that in hi-res, and that was right there... I have other titles from HDTT, and I've generally enjoyed them, so I thought I'd give it a go, and I don't regret it, as the performance is good, and the sonics are nice.
Mind you, I'm the furthest thing from an expert in classical music, so I'm sure there are better performances out there that I've overlooked...

cheers,
alex

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
Mind you, I'm the furthest thing from an expert in classical music, so I'm sure there are better performances out there that I've overlooked...

Well the Peinemann version is quite distinguished because of the rarity - she had a very small output in relative terms. The Milstein performance from the late 50s is an excellent one but for me it is difficult to go past the performance by Josef Suk back when he was in his prime (released on Supraphon). Perhaps it is not surprising that the composer's great grandson performed Dvorak compositions better than anyone else (well, in my humble opinion anyway).

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Heinrich Ignaz Biber: The Mystery Sonatas

andolink

Jul 28, 2016
Frank Corcoran: Symphonies 2, 3 and 4

Johannes Brahms: String Quartet No. 1 in C minor, Op. 51 no. 1

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing