What are you currently listening to (Classical)?

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I always thought Living Stereo RCA was about the best Copland recordings. That was until I heard this gem of a CD. Music to stir and excite the soul.

Attachments

• IMG_0924.jpg
    IMG_0924.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 88

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
image.jpeg

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Symphony No.1 from this newly remastered (from the original analog tapes) set. Sounds as if it were recorded yesterday--without the digital glassiness! Of course, the playing is stunning.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
I'm waiting for the LP version--comes out next week in the US (Sept. 8). How is the sound on the CD?

I have a download and it is clean with decent air but a little bit lightweight. Not inappropriate for the music, though.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Transcendent playing and pretty good sound. I don't think it's an original Connoisseur Society recording since the sound isn't as rich as their own recordings.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I was going to wait for the LPs to come out, but in addition to a lengthy delay, they are more than twice the price of a CD, or in my case, a 24 bit/96khz hi-res download. Also, I figured if the master is digital, then I might as well go for digital playback! Anyway, it's a wonderful recording--his playing is heavenly and the sound is very good.

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
I was going to wait for the LPs to come out, but in addition to a lengthy delay, they are more than twice the price of a CD, or in my case, a 24 bit/96khz hi-res download. Also, I figured if the master is digital, then I might as well go for digital playback! Anyway, it's a wonderful recording--his playing is heavenly and the sound is very good.

in the basket , thanks .

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
This 2 disc set marks Kissin's return to DG after a long absence. All performances were recorded in concert at 6 different venues, so the sound varies quite a bit--from superb to not so great. The "Moonlight" has the worst sound, but it is still listenable. Kissin's playing is remarkable for its accuracy and power. Some might think he's a bit too aggressive at times, but I want people to play the piano like they mean it, and he certainly does!

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Here's a first: When I opened this new 2 LP set yesterday, side 1 had a huge scratch/gouge on it--at least an inch long! Not sure how that happened, but it rendered a few variations unplayable. I spot checked a few others, and her playing and the sound are wonderful. I requested a replacement.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
This overpriced ($35) Speaker Corners remastered LP certainly sounds good, and the playing is phenomenal.

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
Concerto No.20 from this box set.

Last edited:

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
No.22 and 23 today. Wonderful.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Very nice!

Attachments

• IMG_1107.jpg
    IMG_1107.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 96

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
The Master .... great SQ too.

image.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Beethoven Symphony No. 6, Walter, 45rpm reissue.

ok; I fell in love with this recording from an SACD back in the year 2000. it had it all. debatably the most beautiful piece of music ever written, and perfectly played and conducted. a definitive recording. been a 'go-to' choice since then. I acquired 2 original Columbia pressings. then I acquired a pretty good but not perfect grey market 15ips 1/4" master dub. and last year there was a 33rpm AP reissue. and now this new 45rpm pressing.....I had to buy it.

sure; it's a war horse. but one I really enjoy.

it's pretty good but not perfect, and slightly better than last years 33rpm reissue. it has more texture, detail, authority and space than the 33 OP's, and a little less 'Columbia' dryness. it has less of that slight congestion in the massed strings that the 33rpm reissue has, or the OP 33's had. separates things better. the tape is better yet, but not hugely. If this particular recording is one you like and you don't have the tape......this is the one to have. but it's a recommendation with reservations. likely the best performance of the 6th I know of (or rather....my favorite of one's i know). but not the best recording. and I still really like the SACD (now a dsd file) version. lacking some of the vinyl and tape but the least distorted (cleanest sounding) version.

so i'd rank them; best to least preference....tape-45 reissue-33 reissue-SACD--33 OP.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/1...ony_No_6_in_F_Major_Op_68-45_RPM_Vinyl_Record

walter.jpg

Last edited:

Bachtoven

May 10, 2015
I miss Bachtoven ... best music section @ WBF
Thank you. I just feel like such a one-man show sometimes!

A lovely performance and recording. By the way, Pelliccia plays viola, not violin on this recording.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing