why with a good subwoofer can provide better sound quality ?

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
not too many people can hear frequency at 20HZ especially old guy like me, so they thinking of don't need subwoofer in system, but in my experience, put all my better stuff ( cables amp etc,) to the sub section can have better result than put to the full range section,reason I guess , every musical instrument's signal are not single frequency, it combine with a lot of harmony frequencies and sub frequency must included, that frequency has to be in the air to reproduce closer to the real sound even you can't hear that low frequency, one more reason, instrument start to sound is from 0 HZ even violin is not sound start from 5000HZ although from 0 to 5000 in very very short time and same thing happen when they stop , so I believe a good sub can change the level of the whole sound system,
tony ma

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
That has been my experience as well, now I am thinking to move from my largei DD18 to three smaller ones following WBF threads :)

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
flez

Leave the DD18 alone !! Use two additional subs...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
One of the reasons subs are beneficial is that they take a huge load off the rest of the electronics and speakers to reproduce low frequency. Once there, their distortion level goes down, and you will have a choice of lower power amps which may have other sonic characters you like (e.g. Tubes).

Of course, nothing is free and you are now faced with an exponentially grown problem of where to put the subs and how to configure them to blend nicely into the rest of the systems. Digital EQ systems are a great help here.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Amirm

Repeating myself to some extent . What I have found in my last experiences with subs goes beyond the relief brought by dispensing electronics and mains speakers from the often strenuous task of reproducing low frequencies.
Let me try to elaborate some. The best results thus far observed :
Best results are obtained with the mains running full range i-e without a high pass filter a crossover cutting the lows. Subs are brought in to "fill-in" the lows and the additional subs do indeed fill in and smooth out the bass response both audibly and measurably. Bath response is smoother within the listening space. Those were my observations and they do seem to corrobrrate with that of those who have tried the Geddes Method.
EQ is not that critical with this approach. I would not go as far as saying nor is placement. There seem to be a baseline. One of the woofers must be in one corner behind the speaker. This would be the main sub. It must be capable of going low and with some gusto, corner placement will in all cases brings up the lowest frequencies anyway. The second sub must somewhere between the listening position and the mains on one of the wall say the right wall .. position is somewhere in the middle between the listener and the mains speakers plane .. Really somewhere ... although I have found that small variations on that "somewhere" brings interesting change in the response but again not that critical.

The third well somewhere on the opposite wall , if possible at ear level .. This sub is the filler in most room , I think a 10 inchers would do ...
And the darn thing works! Earl Geddes has some explanations to why it does and I wish he would go in the full math details on .. There is some interesting maths behind. I caught a glimpse in a discussion on one of the DIY fora.
Results were so good that I I did not care to EQ. I am sure with such this approach and judicious EQ such as those afforded by solutions like TaCT, DeQX and the likes the results could be formidable... As it were the differences were beyond subtle and I was essentially flat with no EQ from the mid teens to the mid 100 Hz...
It would be interesting to try it .. The results are often very surprising

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Frantz, when I read Tony's original post, I thought he was saying that the higher frequency sounds improve due to addition of bass. So I proposed a reason that could happen. Reading it again, I am no longer sure that is what he meant and that he is saying that ultrasonics are useful regardless of whether the ear can hear them. If so, then my explanation may not fit his observation.

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Yes that is what I try to say, may be I am wrong, different kind of musical instruments in the same frequency sounds not the same because of combined with lots of different harmonic frequencies , in there will be inculded sub or super high that we can't hear just by themself , but when they reproduce by the speakers they had to be joined togetter with the main frequency in the air in right timing to present sound like the real one which has a firm body or mass otherwise sound will feel light no sharp image. and it is always not easy to reproduce those sub and super high frequency better than the full range, so up grade amp or cables and speakers for those ultrasonic range can have a better result than to up grade the full range section, this is my experience and the cause that I thought
tony ma

Mark (Basspig) Weiss

Aug 3, 2010
New Milford, CT
www.basspig.com
Frankly, it's the high frequencies that we lose with age. For us old geezers, 20Hz is all we have left after WWII, Korea and decades of fartin' around with hi-fi electronics. :)
That said, I concur that a separately driven and competent subwoofer can and does take the strain off the other components, allowing for cleaner HF/MF performance.
I have a theory that the 'air' we sense in a concert hall is the result of subsonic energy present in the space, from HVAC, subway trains, traffic rumble that is present in big city concert halls in some subliminal amounts. When a good subwoofer system is present, this energy is recreated, if present in the recording, and can add a sense of space that was lacking before.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Ever notice how you can immediately tell when you step into a very large room/hall? Even when there is no "sound" in the room, there is a sonic signature to the space that lets you identify it as being large. This is the fundamental resonant frequency of the space, a type of "rumble" if you will. Then, even with low-level sounds containing higher frequencies, the reverberation time confirms our initial impressions.

Having properly produced bass allows our systems to present the volume of the original recording venue with more accuracy. Although there are really no super-low frequency notes on the recording, Muddy Waters' Folk Singer throws a cavernous soundstage that is enhanced by the presence of true bass reproduction. Other recordings behave in a similar fashion. Try the duet between John Lee Hooker and Bonnie Raitt on The Healer or the Cleveland Orchestra's Teldec recording of Pictures at an Exhibition where the depth of stage is tremendous on Gnomus in particular. To me, it's all happening in that deep bass.

Lee

tesseract

Aug 23, 2010
Lincoln, NE
Tony

I would simply add that in my experience you need at least 3 subs ...

Geddes multi sub (3) method is working well for many people, if you can manage to elevate one of your subs. It is said to work just as well as the Harman/Welti four sub method.

I don't feel that one needs 3 subs, although they will help smooth the response across the room for other listeners. You can achieve very satisfactory results at the primary listening position with one sub, and two can give you 90% of what four can do, across the room. Four or more subs is ideal, and none of them have to be elevated.

Last edited:

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Could you possibly post some measurement graphs to back up those statements? I have found that the multiple subs far exceed the performance of a single sub.

What would be the measurements? Welti used mean spatial variation (MSV) to come up with his multi-sub approach, which is a fine metric for home theater but not relevant for the typical audiophile.

silviajulieta

Jul 6, 2010
México city. rauliruegas@hotmail.com
One of the reasons subs are beneficial is that they take a huge load off the rest of the electronics and speakers to reproduce low frequency. Once there, their distortion level goes down, and you will have a choice of lower power amps which may have other sonic characters you like (e.g. Tubes).

Of course, nothing is free and you are now faced with an exponentially grown problem of where to put the subs and how to configure them to blend nicely into the rest of the systems. Digital EQ systems are a great help here.

Dear Amir: First I want to say that I " overall " agree with Tony ky ma and RBFC and certainly with you, more on this latter.

The Geedes subs approach that Frantz take it and already experienced in his system is only one approach with very specific targets between of them and mainly: to even/smooth the low bass frequency range response through the use of multiple subwoofers in site/room.
As Frantz point out and Geedes too the main speakers are running in full-range.

Many years ago I readed the Harman similar subs approach where in its white papers they said four subwoofers were/are the ideal number to even the low bass response in room. I tested with two M&K subs and two Carver " The Cube " and yes ceratinly the low bass in room response even and disappear those frequently bass room interaction " deep " problems. Over the time I change subs passing for Audio-Pro ( a Sweden ones, very good indeed. ), Cerwing Vega, Electro Voice, JBL, etc, etc. but I never really be satisfied with the overall system quality performance and I return to listening with out subs. My speakers on those times were the same that I own today.

A few years ago I was thinking to integrate/add subwoofers ( again ) in my system but I take a different " process " and inside this process I first analize how three-two ways speakers works/designed and I mean with this where were/are its " compromises "/ trade-offs against a " perfect " speaker and a " perfect " quality performance. I found out that only a few designs are really full-range ones ( flat to 20Hz. ) and that only few of those few full-range speakers were active/self-powered in the low bass frequency range.

So I asked my self: why is that? why no more full-range speakers when the real music in a real space are cry out for it? Well those last bass octaves are truly unfriendly to handle, expensive ( $$$$ ) ones and in a passive full range system only help to " deteriorate " the speakers performance level. So two-three and even four way speakers designs comes with out those last low bass octaves.
From those passive full range octaves the best sounding ones were the designs that choose that its woofers croosover at very low frequency: 100 hz-150 hz, to the midrange drivers: but we can find this kind of passive full range spekers where the fingers of one of our hands are more that what we need to count them.

The other factor that I analized is the whole job that each driver ( woofers, tweeters, mid range,. ) has in any speaker design: reproduce frequency range signal in accurate way with no distortions/colorations, very hard to achieve indeed but the point critical here is: reproduce signal in a frequency range, this means for example that if in a thre way speaker design the woofers croosover 300 hz and goes down 20 hz those woofers are responsible to reproduce in accurate way frequencies from 20 hz to 350 hz-400 hz ( depending on the passive filter crossover design: first, second, third order, etc, etc. ).

For do that exist in those woofers a " heavy/high " Intermodulation Distortion that degrade in severe manner the sound perfromance level due that the woofers long excursion to develop 20 hz-40 hz-low bass harmonics affect the quality response of those woofers with the other frequencies in that woofers range.
This high Intermodulation Distortion makes a paramount difference if any one of us can lower it in each one of us home audio system, the difference is nothing less that spectacular for the better and in a passive speaker system we can do it only adding self powered subwoofers ( two ) integrated in true stereo fashion to the syste, this means that we need a high-pass filter for the main speakers.

My approach is not to even/smooth low bass performance level ( like in the Frantz system or on speaker systems where the low bass already handled in active way crossing around 100 hz. ) but to lower IMD in favor of better overall quality performance that put me nearest to Excellence level.

With this approach ( different from the Geedes/Harman one. ) we " kill " several birds with only one shot and achiving a quality level performance that you can't achieve with the Geedes approach in passive speakers designs.

Now if one of our system ask because with two subwoofers ( identical ones, in my approach you need be identical. ), subs position, satellite speaker positions, low bass eq. and room treatment you can't even the low bass response then you always can add the third or fourth one. I can say that almost never you will need this 3-4 subs.

Here you can read what I posted about in other thread:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1005-Multiple-Subwoofer-Placement/page2 post #16.

So, IMHO each one of us approach with subwoofers is to identify what our main speakers needs, if are passive designs certainly needs to go to lower IMD ( add two identical self powered subwoofers in stereo fashion integration and with a high pass filter for the main passive speakers. ) but if are active ones on the low frequency range then you will look for even bass response.

So the Geedes/Harman approach is a different approach for way different targets and not for everyone.

Which one you want: even bass frequency only or Excellence performance level approach with your passive speaker design?

Second step with my approach is two select the right subwoofer, not all subwoofers are the same and the price or " good looking " factor means nothing about its true quality performance level. Remember that trying to lowr the IMD is on favor of Excellence performance level so you need the best subwoofer choice for a two channel home audio system.

Between other things try to select ( every thing the same. ) the subwoofers with the lowest THD, ask about to the retailers/manufacturers. One of the reasons I choose Velodyne is because was the one I found out with the lowest THD: 0.5% in the HGS Velodyne series thank's ( between other things ) that Velodyne sense more that 10K times each second the woofer behavior and make as need it the corrections on real time. The " pretty face " JL in the same conditions has 6% on THD , Wilson 5% and over 10% at 20 hz and Revel B15 around 20%: way difference that you can hear.

Like in almost any audio subject: knowledge better yet quality knowledge level and your skills to use it is the " name of the game ".

Btw, in no single thread I readed in this forum no one talk about THD and IMD distortions on speakers/subwoofers. I wonder why because are extremely important subjects to understand if we want to achieve Excellence performance level in our home audio system.
In the other side the even low bass response subject means almost nothing with out THD/IMD figures at different SPL values.

If you read carefully the link I posted you can see that you " take all " with my approach. It is the best out there?, ceratinly not : it is only a different approach with different targets and IMHO a good choice if you know how to implement it.

Anyway, which your target on the subject?. thank you.

Regards and enjoy the music,

Raul.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I wil reply later on th subject but the approach is not MINE.. The approach is from Dr Geddes. I am simply an enthusiastic proponent.

Too often Solutions adopted by audiophiles are expensive and seldom efficient... Cable elevators, specialty cables, Tweak of all sorts from the benign to the outlandish (specially-treated pebbles/stones on interconnects) .. This works and well. Requires patience and some knowledge of how things work in the bass for truly easily perceivable and measurable results..
It is , I repeat the Geddes Method of Subwoofers placement.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
How small those two additional subs might need to be FrantzM? DD12s maybe?

yes, if you want to stay within the family. Is there a DD 10? yo could use the smaller one as the third sub.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing