who would you recommend for remote room calibration

bebop86

Apr 1, 2013
Guys- had my room done Rives years ago- Never satisfied,actually extremely Unsatisfied-- i have taken down most of the treatments he put up as my room was very "DEAD"- Would like someone to do a remote calibration to put things as they should but do not want to spend a bundle- any recommendations or someone in The NY/NJ area that would come out and do a good job would be appreciated-

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
You will gain so much more doing it yourself. someone else doing it on your behalf will superimpose their preferences on the sonics .. A mic is all you need , REW/whatever software is free.
Umik-1 , $75 from minidsp .. tons of tutorials and forums to give you advice on results

KlausR.

Dec 13, 2010
Guys- had my room done Rives years ago- Never satisfied,actually extremely Unsatisfied-- i have taken down most of the treatments he put up as my room was very "DEAD"

Before you spend any more money I'd suggest that you read Floyd Toole's AES paper on this:

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=13686

He challenges pretty much all of the "established truth and wisdom" such as the dogma "early reflections are bad" or "go for optimum room dimension ratios". Having read his paper I had a look at all of the papers he quotes and many more and what I read drastically changed my view on these issues.

In that context this piece is also interesting reading:

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=17338

If interested, mail me for a copy.

Klaus

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I used Acoustic Frontiers (Nyal Mellor) to design and measure my media room. Nyal utilized the "acoustic clouds" originally designed by Rives Audio when my system was in my FR. The room is acoustically controlled but still live.

Media Room Entrance (1024x768).jpg

Listening Position Panaramic (1024x294).jpg

Listening Position Rear Panaramic (1024x407).jpg

Nyal is based in California but can effectively measure your room by sending you the measuring hardware and analyzing the results.

http://store.acousticfrontiers.com/About-Us.html

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I used Acoustic Frontiers (Nyal Mellor) to design and measure my media room. Nyal utilized the "acoustic clouds" originally designed by Rives Audio when my system was in my FR. The room is acoustically controlled but still live.

View attachment 25164

View attachment 25162

View attachment 25163

Nyal is based in California but can effectively measure your room by sending you the measuring hardware and analyzing the results.

http://store.acousticfrontiers.com/About-Us.html

Had the opportunity to discuss with Nyal. He'll be the person for my next room.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Nyal did a very nice remote job for me -- he helped me dial in the (digital) PEQ in a music server

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing