Modifying a PS Audio P10 power generator

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Not really. Yes the CMC's are used in the Felix but everything thing else is different. The bybees were the biggest expense. But don't be fooled at first glance, for example the connectors to the bus bar are special heavy duty units that are so hard to crimp you have to take breaks between doing a few.

That one is a bit older, and doesn't feature a few updates in the photo, and doesn't feature several things that any subsequent ones will (partially by request of the owner not wanting certain items in it).

Having built a number of PLCs and modified SMPS, the Felix CMCs do a lot more than the magic Bybees.

BTW, over on AC you're shown as an "Industry Participant," how come your signature here doesn't reflect that?

PS- "the connectors to the bus bar are special heavy duty units that are so hard to crimp you have to take breaks between doing a few." Get a bench vise.

PPS- Are you an IEEE?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I have no web url to post. JohnR is being generous and letting me have that, but I have no industry privileges (yet). We're in the works on all fronts :)

In another thread I really did mean that I wanted to know about what you've made. There's a few things that are overlooked and unknown to people that have been building their own filters.

I've never applied for membership with IEEE.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Do you really want to know what "impressive" costs? Also consider that what meets sound requirements doesn't have to adhere to any aesthetic ones. While I prefer things to look good, that doesn't always align with best engineering practices or necessities.

Here's a picture of what something looks like that cost as much in parts as the entire P10 does to buy ($5k).

View attachment 26114

What is the unit pictured?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
What is the unit pictured?

Custom power conditioner. He heard my prototype (a friend trying it let him try it, unannounced to me) and absolutely had to have one. At first he just wanted to buy my prototype because he didn't want to listen without it anymore, but I talked him out of that; partially because I had stopped listening to music while it was gone.

ysound

Mar 24, 2016
Since we're on the subject of modding the P10, does anyone know if the P10 could be mod to accept 120V input and output 230V.
I read somewhere that Mr. McGowan showed someone how to rewired the P5 or P10, don't remember exactly which, to output 230V from the 120V unit.
Also does anyone knows if Torus have such a unit, input 110V and output 230V?
I know about the step up voltage converter and transformer, just want to know if I could get a better quality unit of the shelf.

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
Do you really want to know what "impressive" costs? Also consider that what meets sound requirements doesn't have to adhere to any aesthetic ones. While I prefer things to look good, that doesn't always align with best engineering practices or necessities.

Here's a picture of what something looks like that cost as much in parts as the entire P10 does to buy ($5k).

View attachment 26114
Folsom, what are the values of those blue caps (in the top right corner of the photo) and what's the value of the single large black cap (in the top left corner), please?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I no longer use the big cap. It can only be installed where you've personally checked house wiring.

Last edited:

audiohippo

Jan 12, 2016
Australia
Since we're on the subject of modding the P10, does anyone know if the P10 could be mod to accept 120V input and output 230V.
I read somewhere that Mr. McGowan showed someone how to rewired the P5 or P10, don't remember exactly which, to output 230V from the 120V unit.
Also does anyone knows if Torus have such a unit, input 110V and output 230V?
I know about the step up voltage converter and transformer, just want to know if I could get a better quality unit of the shelf.

I asked Paul this question last year and while it is possible from a wiring side, the software does not allow it. So would need PS Audio to provide an updated firmware.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing