Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 29

Thread: Modifying a PS Audio P10 power generator

  1. #11
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by cjf View Post
    Why is it that almost every time I get a peak inside various gear sold at typical Audiophile prices I walk away totally unimpressed with what I see
    Do you really want to know what "impressive" costs? Also consider that what meets sound requirements doesn't have to adhere to any aesthetic ones. While I prefer things to look good, that doesn't always align with best engineering practices or necessities.

    Here's a picture of what something looks like that cost as much in parts as the entire P10 does to buy ($5k).

    Name:  pcredo 003.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  209.5 KB

  2. #12
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    492
    I kinda get most of what I see Folsom but am afraid to ask. Impressive!

    Quote Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
    Do you really want to know what "impressive" costs? Also consider that what meets sound requirements doesn't have to adhere to any aesthetic ones. While I prefer things to look good, that doesn't always align with best engineering practices or necessities.

    Here's a picture of what something looks like that cost as much in parts as the entire P10 does to buy ($5k).

    Name:  pcredo 003.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  209.5 KB
    Marty

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    What were you expecting to see inside a regenerative power conditioner?
    Well... let's start here for now:

    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  22.4 KB

    I've seen better case work on tower computers on eBay for $50

    I've seen bigger transformers feeding DAC's let alone a device specificly built to generate power

    I'm not sure there is even need to get into price here but even Mr Magoo can see that there are better built options on the market for what they are asking for these.
    Music is the brandy of the damned - George Bernard Shaw

    My Audio System Link

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
    Do you really want to know what "impressive" costs? Also consider that what meets sound requirements doesn't have to adhere to any aesthetic ones. While I prefer things to look good, that doesn't always align with best engineering practices or necessities.

    Here's a picture of what something looks like that cost as much in parts as the entire P10 does to buy ($5k).

    Name:  pcredo 003.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  209.5 KB
    That's fine.. I can at least see parts worth spending $5k on in this one. The other one.....not so much!
    Music is the brandy of the damned - George Bernard Shaw

    My Audio System Link

  5. #15
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    492
    We can agree to disagree then. Regenerative power doesn't require massive transformers.


    Quote Originally Posted by cjf View Post
    Well... let's start here for now:

    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  22.4 KB

    I've seen better case work on tower computers on eBay for $50

    I've seen bigger transformers feeding DAC's let alone a device specificly built to generate power

    I'm not sure there is even need to get into price here but even Mr Magoo can see that there are better built options on the market for what they are asking for these.
    Marty

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by nc42acc View Post
    We can agree to disagree then. Regenerative power doesn't require massive transformers.
    No... Someone must have forgot to tell these guys

    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  126.3 KB
    Music is the brandy of the damned - George Bernard Shaw

    My Audio System Link

  7. #17
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    492
    Not a regenerative power conditioner. Torus make great products.

    Quote Originally Posted by cjf View Post
    No... Someone must have forgot to tell these guys

    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  126.3 KB
    Marty

  8. #18
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! nc42acc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    492
    From PS Audio

    The PerfectWave P5 Power Plant takes your incoming AC power and converts it to DC, similar to what comes out of a battery, and then with patented PS Audio high efficiency analog electronics, regenerates and produces new sine-wave-perfect, regulated high current AC power. In the process of regeneration any problems on your power line such as low voltage, distorted waveforms, sagging power and noise are eliminated. This is no traditional passive power conditioner.
    Marty

  9. #19
    Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! mauidan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Maui
    Posts
    1,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
    Do you really want to know what "impressive" costs? Also consider that what meets sound requirements doesn't have to adhere to any aesthetic ones. While I prefer things to look good, that doesn't always align with best engineering practices or necessities.

    Here's a picture of what something looks like that cost as much in parts as the entire P10 does to buy ($5k).

    Name:  pcredo 003.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  209.5 KB
    Just a repackage of the Felix design from over on AC.
    Dan

  10. #20
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,124
    Quote Originally Posted by mauidan View Post
    Just a repackage of the Felix design from over on AC.
    Not really. Yes the CMC's are used in the Felix but everything thing else is different. The bybees were the biggest expense. But don't be fooled at first glance, for example the connectors to the bus bar are special heavy duty units that are so hard to crimp you have to take breaks between doing a few.

    That one is a bit older, and doesn't feature a few updates in the photo, and doesn't feature several things that any subsequent ones will (partially by request of the owner not wanting certain items in it).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NAT Generator monoblocks?
    By trh8654 in forum Power Amplifiers and Preamplifiers Audio Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-17-2014, 05:58 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2014, 09:22 PM
  3. Acoustic Revive Schuman Wave Generator
    By Barry2013 in forum General Audio Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-24-2014, 05:20 PM
  4. Modifying a Teac X2000M for direct head output
    By TommyTunes in forum Reel To Reel Tape Deck and Content Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-04-2014, 08:12 PM
  5. Advice required on good quality hand held signal generator
    By gamve in forum Reel To Reel Tape Deck and Content Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-24-2013, 07:34 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •