Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Modifying a PS Audio P10 power generator

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! mauidan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
    Not really. Yes the CMC's are used in the Felix but everything thing else is different. The bybees were the biggest expense. But don't be fooled at first glance, for example the connectors to the bus bar are special heavy duty units that are so hard to crimp you have to take breaks between doing a few.

That one is a bit older, and doesn't feature a few updates in the photo, and doesn't feature several things that any subsequent ones will (partially by request of the owner not wanting certain items in it).
    Having built a number of PLCs and modified SMPS, the Felix CMCs do a lot more than the magic Bybees.

BTW, over on AC you're shown as an "Industry Participant," how come your signature here doesn't reflect that?

PS- "the connectors to the bus bar are special heavy duty units that are so hard to crimp you have to take breaks between doing a few." Get a bench vise.

PPS- Are you an IEEE?
    Dan

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    I have no web url to post. JohnR is being generous and letting me have that, but I have no industry privileges (yet). We're in the works on all fronts

In another thread I really did mean that I wanted to know about what you've made. There's a few things that are overlooked and unknown to people that have been building their own filters.

I've never applied for membership with IEEE.

Member Sponsor Senior Member
    Do you really want to know what "impressive" costs? Also consider that what meets sound requirements doesn't have to adhere to any aesthetic ones. While I prefer things to look good, that doesn't always align with best engineering practices or necessities.

Here's a picture of what something looks like that cost as much in parts as the entire P10 does to buy ($5k).

Attachment 26114
    What is the unit pictured?
    Preamps: ADA Reference (multichannel); VTL 7.5 II (two channel)
    Digital: MSB Transport+ Signature V DAC. Core Audio Technology server; FabFilter ProQ2 (two channel); Trinnov (multichannel)
    Speakers: PRO Audio Technology 2115sm across fronts; 18" PRO subs; 11.4 overall
    Room: Design by Dennis Erskine and Keith Yates. Extensive use of RPG custom bass traps.
    Power: Richard Gray 20A UPS and isolation transformer. Triton/Typhon and Sound Application. Shunyata Sigma power cables.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucemck2 View Post
    What is the unit pictured?
    Custom power conditioner. He heard my prototype (a friend trying it let him try it, unannounced to me) and absolutely had to have one. At first he just wanted to buy my prototype because he didn't want to listen without it anymore, but I talked him out of that; partially because I had stopped listening to music while it was gone.

Since we're on the subject of modding the P10, does anyone know if the P10 could be mod to accept 120V input and output 230V.
    I read somewhere that Mr. McGowan showed someone how to rewired the P5 or P10, don't remember exactly which, to output 230V from the 120V unit.
    Also does anyone knows if Torus have such a unit, input 110V and output 230V?
    I know about the step up voltage converter and transformer, just want to know if I could get a better quality unit of the shelf.

Do you really want to know what "impressive" costs? Also consider that what meets sound requirements doesn't have to adhere to any aesthetic ones. While I prefer things to look good, that doesn't always align with best engineering practices or necessities.

Here's a picture of what something looks like that cost as much in parts as the entire P10 does to buy ($5k).

Attachment 26114
    Folsom, what are the values of those blue caps (in the top right corner of the photo) and what's the value of the single large black cap (in the top left corner), please?

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    I no longer use the big cap. It can only be installed where you've personally checked house wiring.
    Last edited by Folsom; 01-04-2017 at 02:33 AM.

Just what I was looking for! I wanted to convert my AU plug to US Plug to provide more power cable options.
    a u d i o h i p p o

[ 2CH ] Wilson Audio Sasha Series-2 | Audio Research Reference 5se + 75se | PS Audio Transport + Directstream DAC + Powerplant P10 | WireWorld Silver SC + Gold IC + Platinum HDMI + USB | JL Audio Fathom F110
    [ HT ] Polk LC265i LCR + LC80 | Bryston SP3 + 9BSST2 | Sony 52" LCD | Oppo BDP83 | Velodyne DD15
    My Pictures

Quote Originally Posted by ysound View Post
    Since we're on the subject of modding the P10, does anyone know if the P10 could be mod to accept 120V input and output 230V.
    I read somewhere that Mr. McGowan showed someone how to rewired the P5 or P10, don't remember exactly which, to output 230V from the 120V unit.
    Also does anyone knows if Torus have such a unit, input 110V and output 230V?
    I know about the step up voltage converter and transformer, just want to know if I could get a better quality unit of the shelf.
    I asked Paul this question last year and while it is possible from a wiring side, the software does not allow it. So would need PS Audio to provide an updated firmware.
    a u d i o h i p p o

[ 2CH ] Wilson Audio Sasha Series-2 | Audio Research Reference 5se + 75se | PS Audio Transport + Directstream DAC + Powerplant P10 | WireWorld Silver SC + Gold IC + Platinum HDMI + USB | JL Audio Fathom F110
    [ HT ] Polk LC265i LCR + LC80 | Bryston SP3 + 9BSST2 | Sony 52" LCD | Oppo BDP83 | Velodyne DD15
    My Pictures

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123